Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
illinigirl_gw

anyone feel like thinking about master shower tile?

illinigirl
9 years ago

I've been working hard on the master bathroom selections and I've got it all down except for the shower wall tile. I'm pretty sure I just want to go with white tile, but it's the format I'm stuck on. It's a fairly large shower (I guess?) 4'6" wide and a hair over 6' deep. Here's the shower:
[img]

[/img]

Here are my selections:

grey tile in 12x24 format for the main bath floor
raven countertop for the vanities and repeating on the shower bench and the bottom of the niche ledge
vihara puka silk in the niche 1x4 running horizontally across the ledge
vihara puka silk 1x1 on the shower floor

[img]

[/img]

The tile consultant put together a pattern of 8x20 white field tile and 4 1/4" x 8 1/2" field tile- two rows of the large offset by thirds, and then one row of the smaller field tile. I'm not so sure about that pattern. Maybe I should just stick with one size throughout? What do you think?

Comments (14)

• jdez
    9 years ago

I would stick with one size throughout because I'm a minimalist, I think. However, maybe someone with a good eye for design can weigh in on this and be more helpful.... But, if I were choosing for myself, I'd go with one size. I like your colors. That will look awesome, no matter what you decide.

• illinigirl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks JDez,
    I think I am leaning that way too. Do you think the larger tile (8x20) or the smaller one (4 1/4" x 8 1/2")?

• sandy0225
    9 years ago

your colors are very pretty but if you live in a hard water area like we do, you might want to rethink the raven color for the vanities. I mean the kids will get toothpaste all over it and it will be a cleaning nightmare, maybe something lighter for the vanities and an accent stripe of the raven color on the backsplash? all the waterspots will show up bad on that dark tile, and not so much on the lighter colors.

• jdez
    9 years ago

I'm not sure on the size. I think the big tile would be better because the shower itself is a big space but it might make the smaller accent tile look out of proportion with everything else. Maybe someone else could advise on this?

EDIT: Are you planning to put tile on the ceiling? Tile size might matter on that but I don't know.

This post was edited by JDez on Sun, Apr 6, 14 at 17:33

• illinigirl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Sandy,

We have Lake Michigan water. I think it's a bit on the hard side but we've never had any problems because of it. Toothpaste looks bad on any color ;). The kids bathroom quartz is going to be in the beige family.

JDez, good point about the scale- i had not considered that. I was wondering myself if there was going to be tile on the ceiling- I have no idea! I better find out!

• kas4
    9 years ago

We just remodeled our master bath last fall and used 18x18 tile on the walls along with an accent strip of 1x1 glass tiles. The accent strip is 4" tall (4 tiles) and the scale looks fine. Our main reason for choosing larger tiles for the shower was fewer grout lines = less cleaning of grout lines ;-)

I'd choose the 8x20 tiles and do a subway pattern.

• mlweaving_Marji
    9 years ago

I had a picture of a bath with just that sort of tile placement in my inspiration folder for a long time. I'm embarrassed to say how long it took to find it again. Just goes to show, don't clean out the inspiration folder once all your decisions are made, you still might want the pics.
    I think that tile placement is Gorgeous and if my tiles came in multi sizes I might have done it.

[Mediterranean Bathroom[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/mediterranean-bathroom-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_712~s_2109)

• ladybrowncoat
    9 years ago

I'm with kas4 - I abhor grout. The less grout, the better, so my vote is for all larger tiles :)

• illinigirl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

mlweaving that is soooo pretty! thanks for sharing that. I too will add that to my idea book!

I could get on the "less grout the better" train pretty easily too. I've never had this much grout before, so I really don't know how to maintain/clean it. I doubt my steam mop will work on the shower walls ;)

• nepool
    9 years ago

I'm in the less grout is better club too. Can you mock up what the designer is suggesting? That might help you decide.

I, also, need to start thinking about tile. Its the hardest decision in the entire building process, I think!

• paws-for-digging
    9 years ago

Tile on the shower floor needs to be small. No larger than 4x4 inch area. The feet need something to grab on to so the person taking the shower won't slip. Also, it would be wise to use non-slip tile rather than gloss tile.

Unless one is blind or likes taking showers in the dark, If the shower floor tile does not match the walls, the shower will look unfinished, and sloppy where it may even take down the value of the home when selling.

There is also the question of placing a tile accent line in the middle or top portion of the shower wall. This cuts the shower in two, and makes it look smaller, however may compliment the shower floor if done right. Some say that there should not be an accent line in the shower, and sometimes it maybe the right thing to do, so be very careful with tile accents.

• estescustombuilders
    9 years ago

I am Maine Home Builders and we also do alot of remodeling of older home. People now love to see a little tile inlay design to break up a shower all one size. when you add a pattern it helps break it up visually. It give your shower a real custom look with not alot more work. At the end of day it all come down to personal preference and you are the one who has to live there and use it everyday. So make sure it something you love.
    www.estescustombuilders.com

Here is a link that might be useful: Our website

• mydreamhome
    9 years ago

We didn't do any accent tile in our kids' baths other than in the niche for the sides and bottom, but we did use the larger field tile to keep from having to scrub grout. Count me in as another one who HATES to scrub grout. You have a great color palette going on there--very minimalist spa feeling to me. I would be inclined to use a brick pattern using the larger format tile and use your accent tile in the niche. If you wanted a little bling on the walls run a 2-4" border of the accent tile at about eye level for the walls.

Or a very different option would be to run the accent tile vertically along the center of the back wall or the side walls from top to bottom. The run the larger format tile either in a vertical or brick pattern. I think that would be a very dramatic yet simple effect allowing you to deviate a little from the norm and make a 'wow' statement.

Here's a pic of the kids' bath using the larger format tile set in a brick pattern:

Just my $0.02. Hope it helps!

-Laura

• illinigirl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

wow, thanks to all the replies! Some good ideas for sure. I think I like the idea of the larger tile (less grout) in a brick pattern (I think that is same as an offset pattern). We'll play with the idea of adding the accent tile on other walls besides the niche wall. The niche wall (which is the back wall that you primarily view from either outside of the shower or as you enter the shower). One of the walls (wall on the right) will already be quite busy with all the valves and shower heads. The left wall has nothing on it so far....so that is a candidate for adding accent tile.

Sponsored
Preferred General Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Fairfax County's Specialized, Comprehensive Renovations Firm