Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
treecity

Retractable window screens?

Oaktown
11 years ago

Hi all:
If you are using or have used retractable window screens, would you mind sharing your opinions/experiences? Do you think it was worth the extra cost? Do you think it is better to use the ones from the window manufacturer or do a later retrofit? If you like the retrofit versions do you have any recommended brands? Anything else to look out for? Thanks in advance for any responses.

Here is a link that might be useful: Old thread on retractable screens

Comments (10)

• geoffrey_b
    11 years ago

I think there are several factors: Do you open the windows frequently, and which ones do you open.

When we were installing new windows, we realized that we only open a few windows - the rest of the time we turn on the A/C.

I built a little 'bracket' in the garage that we store 5 screens in the winter.

I think it would be a waste of money to get screens for all the windows.

As for self storing - they take up some of the window area, and are basically a roller shade.

• Oaktown
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for your thoughts. The weather here is very mild so we are used to opening windows much of the year. Our new house will not have A/C so the windows are likely to be open every evening in the summer.

"Which ones do you open" -- in our current house we open all of the the operable windows except the few for which we don't have screens. There aren't too many bugs here but when we've left an unscreened window open more than a crack we've sometimes had a neighborhood cat sneak in!

>>>"I think it would be a waste of money to get screens for all the windows." That is a good point, maybe some of the windows also do not need to be operable, that would save some $.

When you say the retractable screens are "basically a roller shade" does that mean they are not very sturdy?

• geoffrey_b
    11 years ago

I have an Anderson storm door with a retractable screen - I'm not real impressed.

You should go to the lumber yard, and see the retractable screen on display, how it operates, and how much of the window opening it occupies.

• lolauren
    11 years ago

We've considered the Phantom screens for some doors.... They ARE available for DIY. (They sell them at our Lowes here.)

OP: I can't help with your original question but do go to Lowes or HD to play with their models. You'll see what abuse has done to them.

• VanillaCottage
    11 years ago

Where on earth do you live that you don't need a/c in a new build and can survive with the windows open all summer? Because I want to come live there! I hate summer heat and humidity. :-) Please do tell (state? region?).

• LuAnn_in_PA
    11 years ago

I am not the OP, but here in SW PA, our A/C is on a handful of days a year.
    Some years, not at all!

• Oaktown
    Original Author
    11 years ago

VanillaCottage, we are in California (San Francisco bay area). Many homes in our neighborhood do not have A/C. Like most places, there are great things and bad things about living here -- but the weather is about as good as it gets!

• Amy Cantu
    10 years ago

Oaktown, did you end up getting a retractable screen installed? We live in Berkeley and are looking at retractable window and patio door screens as well. Just wanted to see if you like what you picked out! thanks

• Oaktown
    Original Author
    10 years ago

ames999, no decision yet, we're first going to look at the options from the window manufacturers once those bids come back. We have some friends on the Peninsula who recently installed Dreamscreens (well, they hired someone to measure and install for them) on their front and patio doors -- the screens retract nicely, housings are very unobtrusive, screens are easy to use and our friends recommended the product to us. I have also heard good things about Phantom Screens (including the posts above) but have not seen any in real life. Good luck, and please let us know if you like what you use.