Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Am I missing the obvious? Electric logs vs. code fireplace

Posted by Petra2012 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 8, 13 at 13:22

We are building an ICF and I know we will never use the fireplace. I still want to include one however, and after much research it seems that electric would be the way to go. However, we need a 2-way (or see through) fireplace and there is only ONE see-through electric fireplace model available in the US that I really don't like the looks of. (Europe has several... sigh). Ideally I wanted a 3-way, or penninsula fireplace. Here's my question:

If I used a normal insert fireplace (made for gas/wood burning/whatever) and then just had the builder NOT vent/chimney it and used electric logs for it instead, wouldn't that solve my problem?

Or am I missing something obvious? I know there may be a codes issue, which I have asked my builder about. Thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Am I missing the obvious? Electric logs vs. code fireplace

You could consider the alcohol fireplaces...those are 2 sided and can burn clean for 2 hrs with no venting or anything and you get a real flame....

o
RE: Am I missing the obvious? Electric logs vs. code fireplace

thanks very much. that would have been a wonderful solution but it really breaks the budget. back to the drawing board.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here