Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Room over existing garage

Posted by BenRay (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 15, 14 at 12:49

Hello All,
I joined this forum based on what I read. There seems to be good discussion going on here.
I just bought a home with 3 car garage in Texas. The home is at a higher level than the street. So the garage is about 30 feet tall. I'm interested in putting in some storage space by building rooms over the garages. The first floor, where we park our cars would be 12 feet high. We want to put in rooms without A/C or anything fancy. We just want it for storage and for the kids to run around and play. Safety is a primary concern. Any ideas how this can be done? Also, what would be the process for me to start on this project? I'm going to hire a contractor. I have $7000 allocated for this project. Is that a reasonable price? Also, please suggest some techniques how I could build the rooms.

thank you for you advice.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Room over existing garage

These are just a few things that might come up is what is the existing garage sitting on for a foundation can this support an additional live load (live load is materials to be stored furniture and people. Next is to look at what the structure is framed out of for materials this is also to make sure that it can withstanding the added weight of second floor. One more item is the span of how wide your garage is you will need some sort of floor joists and depending on the span of the garage these will vary in size. I would say best bet is to contact a local contractor and check reference and contractor licenses to make sure he would know best of local building code and what exactly would be required to finish it off. The city might require some sort of engineering design to be done for adding the floor. Thanks
www.estescustombuilders.com

Here is a link that might be useful: southern maine home builders

o

We finished out the space above our 3 car garage in the house we just sold. It cost us a little over 20,000. That was for all the finishes as well. We did add AC and heat. You might want to consider AC living in Texas. I used our extra space for my craft room/office. It turned out to be roughly 250 sq ft.

Good luck!!

o

Is this just bonus area that wasn't finished with sheetrock, etc but has either plywood or OSB flooring already?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here