Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bethanysmom

Soil test

Bethanysmom
10 years ago

Hi. Just curious what kind(s) of soil test those of you who are building had to have done prior to building and what those tests cost.

Comments (10)

• Bethanysmom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

By the way, we are building a pier and beam house, if that makes a difference.

• lazy_gardens
    10 years ago

It will depend on the area of the country, and the local zoning regulations.

Ask your architect and the engineer who is doing the load calculations

• galore2112
    10 years ago

The company that I hired for a soil test drilled several holes 25ft deep and analyzed core samples for composition, moisture, physical properties etc.

This was used by the structural engineer to design the foundation.

I paid ~$1200 I think (not 100% sure). This was in 2007.

• carsonheim
    10 years ago

The main purpose of the soil test is to determine what your soil composition is and then, what type of foundation you need.

I believe, the primary thing they determine with respect to foundation design is the plasticity of the soil. That number is a key factor in determining what type of foundation is acceptable.

Our soil test ran $650. it included two borings to 20 feet as well as a detailed report.

• Bethanysmom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for your replies. The engineer who is working with our draftsman said we needed to have one done so that they can calculate how far the footings need to go. I have called the company who does them and am waiting for a call back.

• virgilcarter
    10 years ago

Will you have a septic system? If so, you will also have to do a perculation test to determine the absorption capabilities of your soil, as the basis for the selection of a proper septic system.

If you are planning a ground source heat pump(s), you may also have to test for the type of used water distribution.

Good luck with your project.

• worthy
    10 years ago

I build only infill homes where one, two or even three homes have been built before, so I take my chances. I bring in a soils engineer sometimes when the excavation is complete.

One that threw me a bit was when we excavated down to an ancient lakefront--all sand and waterwashed rocks. Turns out that was the best base for a new home--wonderful drainage. Just needed wider footings. I'd expect to pay $300+ for an inspection and verbal opinion. If you're in the country, the fees may be steeper due to travel time and the scarcity of competition.

• Bethanysmom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

@Virgilcarter - yes, we are doing a septic system.

@Worthy - we are definitely out in the country.

Finding someone to even do the test has proven to be a challenge. The company I was first referred to doesn't have anyone here locally (I'm about 20 minutes from a town with a population of over 120,000) to do it, so they've referred me to their other office a couple of hours away. But that guy has yet to return the message I left him this morning.

I did have our local NRCS guys come out a couple of months ago to look at a creek on the property because I wanted to make sure we don't do something in the driveway work to mess it up (will be putting in a culvert)...I asked them about them doing a perc test, but they don't do them.

Thank you both very much for your replies.

• Awnmyown
    10 years ago

My engineer told me to dig a hole once the ground thawed and let him know what I saw down there :P I ended up taking it to a local lab (bc I saw dirt), and they analyzed it for soil content and particle size. Ended up as Sandy Loam (equal parts clay, silt, sand) and I was able to use this analysis for my septic application as well. Think it cost me $125, but I own a backhoe so I was able to dig my own hole (guess I could have used a shovel, but I loath digging). Granted, the bottom of my hole was bedrock, so we were pretty certain it could support a house...

• Bethanysmom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

@Awnmyown - does your Cooperative Extension Service not do free soil testing?