Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vanillacottage

Best size family room to float furniture, plus walkway?

VanillaCottage
11 years ago

What is the ideal size for a family room or greatroom to be able to float all the furniture in the center, and also have a furniture-free walkway behind the sofa (opposite the fireplace) that leads to a double french door to the deck?

These photos show the arrangement of the room and type of furniture placement I am envisioning. The walkway behind the sofa to the french door would be part of the FR but I want it to feel like a separate hallway, if that makes sense.

Traditional Living Room by Minneapolis Architect TEA2 Architects

Traditional Living Room by Nashville Architect Norris Architecture

Comments (7)

• User
    11 years ago

A conversation grouping is 10x10. Average couch depth is 3'. A comfortable walkway is 4'. 5' if it's a high traffic location where people pass frequently in the opposite direction. You don't want to be closer than about 4'-5' to a fireplace. So, about 21-25 feet for depth would be ideal accounting for furniture and traffic patterns. Now, if you want a sofa table behind the couch, add an additional 2'. And if you're doing inswing in stead of outswing French doors that will occupy some of the traffic path, add their depth to the equation as well. (Typically another 30") So, with the addition of inswing French doors and a sofa table, you've just added another 5' to the room.

• virgilcarter
    11 years ago

Live-wire's dimensions are good guides.

The only way to really know is to measure the furniture pieces you will be using and add 4'-0" minimum clearance between any walls and the backs of any furnishings.

The type, size and arrangement of the furnishings is essential to know. For example, a "square-U" arrangement has different proportions that an "L" arrangement. A piano, TV or other large equipment or furniture pieces also impact the design and size of the furnishings.

Get your tape measure out, draw and record the dimensions for every piece of furniture and equipment to be used, and then start playing with sketches. It's the only way and what we all have to do.

Good luck on your project.

Major circulations spaces need wider clearances than those used infrequently.

• VanillaCottage
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you! Very helpful! We would most likely be buying all new furniture for this room, so right now I can only measure what I do have and ballpark it from there.

Is there a book or a guide that tells you all of these things about furniture spacing? That would be a very handy thing to have! Please let me know if you know of any specific resources to consult. Thanks!

• ILoveRed
    11 years ago

Great thread. I don't think I have ever seen this posted here before. Very helpful ideas. Why are most family rooms so small!?

• Beth Parsons
    11 years ago

My great room is 16 deep x 20 wide from wall to wall. The built in cabinets take up 2' of space and the fireplace hearth eats another 2'. My furniture arangement is as you describe - I have a 5' walkway behind the sofa and 3.5' between the fireplace hearth and coffee table. We also have french doors that open to the covered patio but we elected to have them swing out to save that interior floor space.

I have a 8x12 rug in the room and my sofa, tables and 2 chairs are arranged around that and the seating pieces have front legs on, back legs off the rug. We have plenty of room to walk around the furniture but it is still intimate enough for conversation. My house is nowhere near as formally appointed as the ones in the pictures above and upon the advice of a decorator friend, my furniture sits closer together than is normally seen in staged photos but again, it works for us.

• jenswrens
    11 years ago

Is there a book or a guide that tells you all of these things about furniture spacing?

I would love to see a resource for this information also. I did find a site on Pinterest that is fun to play with, but I don't really know how accurate it is. You can create a room that is a specific size and then furnish it with preset furniture pieces. I just wish I could see it in 3D also.

Has anyone else used this? Found it helpful? It's called Make Room by UrbanBarn.

Here is a link that might be useful: Make Room - Furniture Planner