Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tallytomatoe

Insulation Choices

tallytomatoe
11 years ago

I got the following bid for insulation:
R-30 Blown fiberglass over ceiling of conditioned area.
R-13 Fiberglass batts in exterior walls of conditioned area.
Caulk and foam exterior penetrations to meet Florida Model Energy Code.

TOTAL PRICE --------------------- $ 2,700.00
Options:
Upgrade exterior wall to sprayed cellulose. Add $350.00
Upgrade to R-30 Sprayed Icynene insulation on underside of roof deck above conditioned area and screen porch.
Add $6,200.00

Does that seem like a reasonable price to spray the roof deck? People say that the spray foam is the way to go but it is quite exspensive. House is single story 4617 total sq. ft and 2932 conditioned sq ft. located in Greensboro, FL (just west of Tallahassee)

Comments (7)

• worthy
    11 years ago

I fail to see how spraying the underside of the roof deck to the same R Value as the alternative of insulating above the ceiling is "the way to go." (Unless, of course, you have HVAC equipment in the attic.) R30 in the attic and R13 in the walls is the minimum requirement in Florida. If you're considering spending $6,200 more for foam, spend a fraction of that and insulate to R60 in the attic, asrecommended by building scientist Dr. John Straube. In case moisture moving into the attic in severe weather is a concern, I'd use blown cellulose, which is more tolerant of moisture than fg.

Since you're in the planning stage, consider the energy savings advantages of white roofing tiles.

This post was edited by worthy on Tue, Apr 16, 13 at 19:31

• tallytomatoe
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Worthy. Read some of Dr. Straube's articles and he def. know his stuff. HVAC equipment will not be in the attic. Attic will now be insulated to R60 as Straube reccomends. What would you reccomend in regards to the wall insulation? If I upgrade to cellulose I don't think I gain that much over fiberglass batts. Would it be worth it to foam the walls?

• energy_rater_la
    11 years ago

no to foaming the walls.
    a much better and affordable option is to
    use 1" foam sheathing board on exterior
    of walls, conventional insulation in walls,
    and air tight drywall approach for sheetrock.

so where are ducts located?
    unvented attics also make houses more
    hurricane resistant.

best of luck.

• Brian_Knight
    11 years ago

While I agree most attics should have R60 in the US, its tough to justify in actual practice in climate zones below 5 or so. John Straube is in a cold climate but many other building scientists recommend those levels for most of the country.

As for foam in the walls, I heartily agree with energy rater as to the importance of exterior insulative sheathing, but think you should price both cellulose and OC foam for the cavities. In our area they are very close in costs. I say no to batts almost always due to their difficulty to properly install.

The new ZIP R product is tough to beat for its labor and air sealing properties. Reducing thermal bridging is usually more important than R value.

If you are concerned about R value and insulation, you should be more concerned with the airtightness as measured by the blower door test.

Airtight is much more important than R value!

Blower door test numbers reveal much more than the "R values" of building components.

• tallytomatoe
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Energy Rater - Would you recommend replacing the osb or plywood woth the foam sheathing and having some support braces throughout or using in addition to the osb or plywood? Articles I've read said it can be done both ways as long as you provide adequate bracing.

Brian - Thanks for your input as well. The Zip R product looks interesting I'm just not sure how the pricing will compare to foam sheathing or osb. Zips website says their system is easier to insall than house wrap so it saves on labor cost. I will also try and find someone local who could do a blower test once we get to that point. Do you know what someone would usually charge for that?

• energy_rater_la
    11 years ago

I'm in a hurricane climate, so we have done
    it both ways, foam board over solid sheeting
    and solid sheeting to interior, with foam
    sheathing to exterior.

I prefer the latter myself, not as much confusion
    about window & door framing. and structrual strentgh
    is same. Home owners like the fact that it isn't hard
    to hang stuff on solid sheeted walls on interior.

we also use Simpson Strong Tie products to add
    strength to walls & minimize uplift of roof rafters.
    not difficult to install, you should take a look at
    their products.

I read good stuff about zip sheathing, but have
    never seen it locally.

best of luck.

• tallytomatoe
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks again Rater. The framer will use Simpson Strong Ties (HDU2 - SDS2.5). So if we use OSB to interior then foam sheething to exterior (installed correctly) and cellulose or foam to insulate the walls I think I'll be pretty happy with the results. Still going to check out the zip system and see what I get from a price and experience stand point from the installer. Even if it's a great product I don't want my house to be the first time the sub has used it.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH