Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
robynstamps_gw

Will rain hurt wood in a new build?

robynstamps
9 years ago

I know it is probably the silliest question EVER but they just dropped off all the wood for framing yesterday and it is supposed to rain tomorrow. They begin framing on Monday. (YAAAAAYYY!!!!) My question is�. should they cover up the wood or will it be okay if it rains a little tomorrow. We are 3 states away from our build so I cannot personally see to this. I don't want to ask my builder first so I thought I would take this question to GW. :)

Comments (13)

• MFatt16
    9 years ago

Not really. We live in Seattle and no one's house has fallen down from getting too wet during framing yet :)

I think it can take awhile to dry out and some particle boards can take on too much water and need to be replaced.

• robynstamps
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks!

• Kath9177
    9 years ago

robynstamps - do you use a video camera to keep "watch" of your lot? And if so, what type do you use? Thanks!!!! PS - no question is ever stupid. I would have wondered the same thing! :)

• robynstamps
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Kath - Yes, we have a security camera on our property. Since we are building out of Utah it is a local company. I believe it is called Live View. My builder set it up. We just pay the bill. :) Here is a screen shot I shared on another thread to show you the control screen I have. I am able to move the camera up and down, side to side, and zoom in. The only problem is that I can't see down in the basement.

• schicksal
    9 years ago

Cool. But now you know, all the shady stuff goes on in the basement!

I've wondered the same thing. One house I looked at when moving to Charleston was a new build that stopped about halfway through (roof was up / walls were still framing). The bank foreclosed and put up the exterior walls recently at that point. Google Maps Street View showed it sat for more than a year with no exterior walls and the framing lumber seemed to survive ok. The subfloor was chipboard though and that looked a bit worse for wear, but was still probably serviceable.

• renovator8
    9 years ago

Your project specification should require lumber stored outside to be off the ground and covered.

• autumn.4
    9 years ago

robyn-we had serious rains while framing, then serious snow while trying to get it buttoned up. The upstairs took almost no abuse but the main floor had quite a bit of rain and standing water that we'd sweep off before it was all said and done. Dh did sand the corners of the board as a few of them were raised after they had dried out and the swell was gone. We need the floor level to install wood floor. Other than adding that step to the process they are fine.

I think it'd be nearly impossible to have a build without getting wet at some point. The least amount the better of course but I think normally speaking it should be okay.

• MFatt16
    9 years ago

I think the scenario with a year of rain is totally different than a few weeks. FWIW, literally it dumps rain nearly all year long. I don't know of any epidemics of mold or rotting floors. I liken it to pouring foundation below freezing. In general, its not recommended but in areas of the country with long winters they have figured out what to use and what to do to work around it.

• worthy
    9 years ago

Your project specification should require lumber stored outside to be off the ground and covered.

Ditto siding and masonry.

I leave little to no framing lumber on site overnight. Otherwise, depending on the neighbourhood, it may be gone come morning.

• _sophiewheeler
    9 years ago

It should be sitting on pallets with a tarp.

• robynstamps
    Original Author
    9 years ago

They are on pallets. Hasn't rained yet and they start the framing tomorrow. I looked closely and the board is covered but the 2x6s are not. I'll call my builder in the morning if the weather looks rainy again. Thanks everyone!

• robin0919
    9 years ago

worthy.....I thought you build very high end homes? I would think these would be in the best areas of the city and not have to worry about thief?. . I also think that any wood left at end of day.....picking it up...storing somewhere...and have it back at the site at dawn for the framers would get very expensive?

• autumn.4
    9 years ago

Yes - we DID cover the lumber when it was delivered but it rained once it was in process of being framed and before the roof was on. :( Good luck Robyn! It's going to be awesome.

Thieves-ummm, they are everywhere. DH is an officer and yep, they hit any place they see they can get something quick and pawn it for cash. Best case is neighbors, if you are way out with no one around then it's easily accessible for them to grab and dash.