Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Which driveway surface to use?

Posted by cburdick1 (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 10, 13 at 10:45

Hello all,

We are in the process of redesigning our driveway, but are unsure as to which surface would be best suited to our use.

Here's the issue: Due to the configuration of our lot, negotiating the new driveway will require a tight 3 point turn. My concern is that on a hot day, making tight turns on hot asphalt is going to tear the surface up. So, paving stones might be a better solution. The rub is that pavers are about 2x as expensive to install. They sure do look pretty though.

So, do you all think that my concerns about asphalt are warranted, or am I just worrying too much?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Which driveway surface to use?

I think location is an important factor. I hate the look of asphalt, but when we lived in the northeast it made the most sense. Much easier to plow and less prone to heave with the frost.

We are now in CA and we recently ripped up the asphalt driveway, redesigned it and used pavers. It really changes the look of the house and I think it is well worth the additional cost.

Another benefit of pavers is that if you ever need to access any utility lines, drains, etc that are under your driveway, it is so easy to pull up the pavers make the repairs and lay the pavers back down. An asphalt or cement driveway won't look so good after being dug up and patched up.

o
RE: Which driveway surface to use?

You can mix sections of pavers with asphalt.

Photo: G.Wain Membrane.com

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here