Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Spreadsheet for tracking expenses...

Posted by aucorley (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 24, 12 at 10:42

I have a crude excel spreadsheet I have created for tracking our expenses on our build. We are doing a cost plus fixed fee contract build.

Has anyone created a spreadsheet to track their home building expenses that they are willing to share?

TIA!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Spreadsheet for tracking expenses...

I don't have a fancy spreadsheet to share, however I do have a tip. I have my spreadsheet on googledocs. That way me or my husband can access it from any computer (or other device) wherever we are if we need to check something!

o

Quite awhile ago, someone posted "Construction Cost Estimate vs Actual" which was very detailed. I happened to
run off a copy, so I think maybe you can search for that and see if you can find it.
Good Luck~

o

My builder's draw requests include a detailed spreadsheet of all items for the build, the percentage complete, the amount spent to date, whether we are over/under budget, etc. It is a commercial builders program that he uses. I might check with your builder and see if he uses something similar.

o

I modified this to fit our build.....much better than the basic one ai had created in Excel.

Here is a link that might be useful: Construction Management Spreadsheet

o

It's nice to have a spreadsheet already worked out for you but the one linked above was apparently poorly translated from another language (Kamode, carpentar) and written for some kind of a developer or construction manager who subs out compete packages of work (turnkey) with strange grouping of work like Interior trim/millwork and something called Hotshots under Rough Lumber. In fact the term rough lumber suggests rough-sawn lumber so the more normal terms in the US are rough carpentry and finish carpentry.

It appears that the amounts in the yellow rows were intended to be the sum of the items immediately below them but the cell formulas have been corrupted in multiple ways.

Athensmomof3 is right, in a Cost of the Work with a Fee contract your contractor should provide you with this information on a spreadsheet weekly or monthly and if you want to add information or break it down differently you should start with that format and add the GC's information as it is issued.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here