Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
smpop18

Ceiling Color?

SMPop18
12 years ago

Hello all: I'm curious as to what everyone is choosing for paint color for your ceilings? I'm thinking a nice shade of off-white, but don't want it to have a pink or yellow hue to it. I have heard that people sometimes paint the ceilings the same as the walls but I don't think I want that. I have also heard that you should go with the lightest color on the sample strip for whatever the wall color is for the room. It seems like that would end up being a lot of different shades of white for all the rooms. Thanks for your thoughts!

Comments (11)

• renovator8
    12 years ago

"Ceiling white" is what is normally used. Any color tint will change the light in the room.

• SMPop18
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Renovator8, any idea what color that would be in Benjamin Moore? There are a lot of white shades.

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

Just ask for white ceiling paint.

It is often a little less expensive since it is not very 'scrubabble.'

Ceilings do not get very dirty since no one usually touches them.

• chispa
    12 years ago

Unless you buy from tall people with teens on the basketball team ... we had to repaint some 9ft ceilings as they had lots of handprints!

I used the same white for my trim and ceiling, BM Simply White, but used semi-gloss for trim and flat for ceiling.

• athensmomof3
    12 years ago

I am not a fan of ceiling white at all. I prefer painting the ceiling the same as the trim color, but in a flat paint. Ceiling white can read blue or gray and never looks right to me up against a different trim color.

• SMPop18
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone! We are staining our wood trim (started that process today actually!), so matching it with the ceiling won't be a problem :)
    I'll ask about ceiling white. I just don't want it to be a bright white. We have 18' ceilings in our great room where one wall/ceiling is slanted. We also have dormers in the upstairs bedrooms where the ceiling is slanted there. I feel like that might make a difference in how the white looks since it's not just straight above the room.

• athensmomof3
    12 years ago

Ceiling white is a bright white, often with a blue tinge. I think with stained trim you are better off doing a creamy white - there are lots of whites that are a bit creamy but read as white. I think that would be less harsh with stained trim.

• babs711
    12 years ago

I hate ceiling white. I'd look into one of the warmer whites from BM like White Dove or Cloud White, depending on the rest of the tones you're using in the room. Personally, I like color so I went with a 25% tint of my wall color because I wanted our trim (which is a shade of white) to contrast a bit. I'm still finding the ceilings to be very very light and sometimes look whitish in certain lights. You almost can't tell they're ceiling tinted at all sometimes.

• SMPop18
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Athensmomof3- that is exactly what I was thinking for the stained trim, something less harsh and more creamy. I'm glad I'm not crazy to not want bright white!
    babs711- thanks for the BM color options!

• motherof3sons
    12 years ago

We used SW Creamy (flat) for the ceiling. All trim will be the same color in semigloss. It was a hard decision to stay in the "white" family. Thought I wanted a different color. This will also help masquerade all the cans and speakers in the ceiling.

• LuAnn_in_PA
    12 years ago

Count me among those who dislike ceiling white!
    Any white is better than that....

BUT - we have no white ceilings (or walls) in our house.
    Some are the same color as the walls, some are three shades lighter than the walls, and one is a totally different color.