Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zone4newby

Happy April! How's your building going?

zone4newby
11 years ago

Thought I'd start this, because we're making progress!

They poured the foundation on Friday, and the forms are coming off this morning. We'll be framing before we know it.

Here is a link that might be useful: A home in the woods (our build blog)

Comments (124)

• abrshafer
    11 years ago

Hooray! We've started today!

• PRO
    Window Accents by Vanessa Downs
    11 years ago

Yay Amanda! Good luck.

• jannz77
    11 years ago

livingreen2013 -- Do you have pictures of your kitchen..??.. I noticed the beams in the picture you posted looking from the kitchen into the great room.

Also, do you have pictures of the ceiling in your great room..??.. Looks like it might be wood planks..??..

Love the stone you are using; You indicated it's called "Mahogany" -- is that from a local quary..??..

Your house has a lot of the details that I like... looking forward to more pictures. Thanks!

• jannz77
    11 years ago

by degcds: Really like your front door... can you share the width of the opening and of the doors..??...

We're still in the preliminary designing stage and are looking at front door options. We have a single front door now but are considering a 'double' front door in our new house. We wondered if we needed to have it made to be extra wide to avoid having to open BOTH doors to enter. ie; If one door is just 24" [??] wide... or ~whatever... that seems narrow to walk through.

Appreciate any advice / suggestions you have to share about your decision process on your front door selection.

• njasmine1
    11 years ago

Progress still being made excited is an understatement.

• njasmine1
    11 years ago

Another picture

• sweet.reverie
    11 years ago

We have been in a bit of delay because we missed the framing inspection approval because of a vent. But we did the patio forms done!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

• LOTO
    11 years ago

With rain about every other day progress has been slow on my build...still not dried in yet but a couple of sunny days should get us close and the roofers are ready.
    The geothermal well driller came out today and flagged for the wells and will get that part done next week if it just stops raining for awhile.

btw...not that the fractured foot is healing and no pain there I found out that I also have a sprained ankle...those I hate!!!

• jannz77
    11 years ago

Hi LOTO -- Curious to know if you've had a 'geothermal' system before... ??... Are you using 'Water Furnace' --??--

• LOTO
    11 years ago

I have never had a geo system before and looking forward to it and I am going with ClimateMaster

• toots4
    11 years ago

We have a hole! Footings should be complete this week.

• building_a_house
    11 years ago

Finally got most of the painting done.

Insulation and drywall starting this week.

• building_a_house
    11 years ago

View of the back screened porch (foreground) and covered porch. Wood burning fireplace to be installed very soon.

• krock918316
    11 years ago

If we don't get any rain, we're supposed to start tomorrow! 5 acres of mostly level pasture, with some nice mountain views. Can't wait!

• amtrucker22
    11 years ago

krock, that is awesome!

• LOTO
    11 years ago

Rained out again today but I got the insulation finalized. Using BIB insulation for most of the home but will need to use fiberglass batts in parts of the vaulted ceiling and garage ceiling (bonus room joists). Still going to use 3" of closed cell foan on the rim joists and then 1" on the concrete crawspace foundation wall.

• toots4
    11 years ago

building a house- Love your house color and your brick...beautiful. We have selected 'smokestone' (greenish/gray) darker siding with white trim and similar brick color. Do you have interior pics??

• PRO
    Epiarch Designs
    11 years ago

We have been progressing, and more of the nitty gritty can be seen in my blog. We are farther than what I have updated in the blog, so I am attaching a couple snap shots that are not in there. Here is the front door we are painting along with the light that needs badly adjusted!

Here is a link that might be useful: home blog

This post was edited by lzerarc on Wed, Apr 17, 13 at 9:30

• PRO
    Epiarch Designs
    11 years ago

I stained the beam holding up the clerestory.

• PRO
    Epiarch Designs
    11 years ago

I installed the tile in the main bathroom and set the toilet later.

• kaljr82
    11 years ago

We moved in this weekend!!

Follow the link for mostly up to date pictures!!

Here is a link that might be useful: House Blog!

• sanveann
    11 years ago

So excited for everyone!

We've been preapproved for our construction loan, and are expecting construction drawings this week. Also just filed the application for the perk test (property has perked several times before, but they're expired).

• flgargoyle
    11 years ago

Not exactly a house, but our barn is an integral part of our total project. I got the final inspection today- It's done! Now, back to the house.....

• zone4newby
    Original Author
    11 years ago

lzerarc-- Everything looks great! We just chose a door that looks a lot like yours. :)

What kind of tile is that in your bathroom?

• dekeoboe
    11 years ago

lzerarc - We have three clerestory windows that look a lot like yours, and exposed beams like yours, but they aren't under the clerestory windows. I like the way yours go together.

I like your fan too! Do you remember the brand and model number?

• autumn.4
    11 years ago

lzerarc-love that bathroom tile!

flgargoyle-nice barn!

kaljr-congrats on getting to move in!

We are meeting with house designer next week and currently getting our home ready to put on the market. Much to do!

• building_a_house
    11 years ago

@toots4 --- Thanks! Its actually stone (not brick).

Drywall going in this week. Hope to have some pics soon. Maybe I will wait until next month.

• motherof3sons
    11 years ago

Everyone has wonderful pics to share!

Flgargoyle - Always love a red barn. Wish we had one on our property. Can't wait to see the house!

• War_Eagle
    11 years ago

kaljr...looks great. Love your paint choices. Anyway you can post details of paint choices you used for each room? Thanks.

• PRO
    Epiarch Designs
    11 years ago

thanks all. still lots of work to go.
    The tile in that bathroom is Daltile Fabrique Blanc linen color.
    The ceiling fan we got at Lowes. Its a Harbor Breeze 72" Slinger Helicopter fan

• kaljr82
    11 years ago

War-Eagle,
    They are all Sherwin Williams colors.
    Living Room, Foyer, Dining Room, Kitchen - Gray Clouds

Master Bath - Perfect Greige

Master Bedroom - On The Rocks

Main Bath - Nantucket Dune

Spare Bedroom #1 - Versatile Gray

Powder Room - Copen Blue

The rest of the rooms are just Dover White until we decide on colors for them.

This post was edited by kaljr82 on Thu, Apr 18, 13 at 12:07

• Lori Wagerman_Walker
    11 years ago

Ok kaljr82, how did you make that color swatch?? Awesome Idea!!

• kaljr82
    11 years ago

My wife is the one responsible for making the swatches.
    Maybe I can get her on here and give you a quick rundown!
    Glad you liked!

• chris401
    11 years ago

nvmd

This post was edited by chris401 on Sun, Jan 12, 14 at 22:58

• TreizeChenes
    11 years ago

Still bricking and having stucco put on. In the interior the 2nd phase of plumbing is complete and HVAC started today!

Everyone's homes look great...nice to have a community of people going through similar challenges.

BTW, how do you attach more than one picture?

• livingreen2013
    11 years ago

jannz77- Sorry for just now seeing his! Unfortunately, we are in the painting stage right now and most of our "pretties" are covered up, but here is what I do have. Our great room has a stained panel ceiling with barnwood beams, and the kitchen also has smaller beams. I'm unsure of where the mahogony stone comes from- it's just a natural stone available at our local stone store. I appreciate the kind comments. It's always fun to talk take joy in the process with people who have similar tastes. Good luck with everything!

• livingreen2013
    11 years ago

Great room looking into kitchen...

• momto3kiddos
    11 years ago

Our house is now painted and beams are stained.... Here is an update.

The mudroom cubbies and drop zone

Game room with beams.... Window seat needs to be put back. We had to move it for a hvac vent relocation.

A view of half of the butlers pantry. Please ignore the cobalt blue dining room. The color is changing this week. It doesn't look that vibrant in real life, but it is not the neutral dark blue I was going for. Let's hope the next color works better.

A look at the granite and a few backsplash options. They haven't permanently placed it because they want to undercount the sinks first. My super single silgranit sink broke somewhere in transit or at the fabricators, so we have to wait for a new one.

Walls have been painted. This is family room looking towards kitchen. It is all open.

Th corner fireplace opposite from the kitchen

My sons room and bathroom. I am so thrilled with the darker gray paint and tile up the wall.

My daughter's rooms are both this color. It doesn't photograph too well, but it is the best shade of aqua. It should grow with them for quite a while.

Lastly, my bath. Some tile work, upper cabinets and backsplash yet to happen.

• hough2012
    11 years ago

Started digging the basement today. So nice to finally get started.

• jennybc
    11 years ago

Walls up and floor poured today!! Framers coming soon for first floor so we can backfill.

• ash6181
    11 years ago

Momto3kiddos, would you share your paint color in your kitchen and family room? I love it. Thanks!

• ash6181
    11 years ago

Momto3kiddos, would you share your paint color in your kitchen and family room? I love it. Thanks!

• momto3kiddos
    11 years ago

Sure ash... It is BM Revere Pewter. It comes across as a warm gray. I have been very pleased with it so far. I like the grays but couldn't commit to a cool gray. I had only seen pics online with the color and the swatch. I am so glad it worked well. The trim is SW Alabaster... A soft white.

Flargoyle- I LOVE the barn. I hate we have to wait a while before we build one. I cannot wait to see the house go up.

• War_Eagle
    11 years ago

Brick is now done.

• War_Eagle
    11 years ago

Dry wall going in over foam in kitchen. They finished downstairs yesterday. Start upstairs today.

• hough2012
    11 years ago

Basement walls being poured today...woo hoo!

• LOTO
    10 years ago

We have been getting rain about 3 days a week for the last month and the framers finally got the roof sheathing finished today.
    The roofers started stocking materials today and will start on the roof in the morning..plumber starting rough in tomorrow, HVAC rough in on Wednesday, and electrical on Thursday...these crews have worked together many times and will work together on who has the "right of way".

A window goes in the big gables and vents go in the smaller ones, The framers still have some OSB to put on and some wrap then it is on to the windows...going with James Hardie siding on the majority of the house and James Hardie shake shingles on the larger gables and stone around the front door and windows.
    Everything sounds good on paper but things never go as easy as planned. Going to be 85 the next 3 days and then a high of 45 and rain for the 3 days after :(

• PRO
    Epiarch Designs
    10 years ago

finally had some nice weather to start working outside. Its been 40s and raining for the last several weeks. Finally got up to 70s! It was great.
    Got outside and worked on the front porch. I installed the cedar soffit and worked on installing the cedar around the upper columns.

• PRO
    Epiarch Designs
    10 years ago

siding started

• LOTO
    10 years ago

I have a headache after today but it is a good headache. Roofers, plumbers, HVAC, Framers, concrete crew, and electricians were on site today and everything went pretty smooth. The interior rough in started and everyone marked out their space and are Happy, Happy!!
    The raised footings for the shop got poured today and I have to fill with gravel and then the 5" slab gets poured on top...front and back porches on the house are getting poured tomorrow too. My shop will have a full bath and an office :)