Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Happy April! How's your building going?

Posted by zone4newby (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 1, 13 at 9:59

Thought I'd start this, because we're making progress!

pumpertruck

They poured the foundation on Friday, and the forms are coming off this morning. We'll be framing before we know it.

Here is a link that might be useful: A home in the woods (our build blog)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Happy April! How's your building going?

Do you think you could add the year to the title? I actually search for these threads by typing "April 2013". :)

o

Mine has made pretty good progress. One more week of framing details, next week windows and most doors. I am still undecided on the front door so I will just plywood over for now.

hotness1

hotness2

april12

arpil1

april11

april1

hothot1

hot2

o

Sorry Sweet Reverie-- it won't let me edit the title.

I'll do better next time.

o

Siding is all done!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Future Front Porch:

Here is a link that might be useful: Home Building Blog

o

Lol, zone, no problem! :)

o

Well, we have been moving along. Kind of slow over the past few weeks as my grandmother passed away the week before Easter and after 68 years of marriage I have been trying to help my grandpa get adjusted to a new normal. Luckily I work from home and have had the Time to help.

But onto the better things!! The basement was poured last week, as well as the porches and garages. The framing crew will be back out this week to frame the finished basement and start on the covered patio and front porch. Also a large portion of the exterior trim has been completed. We are waiting for our windows and then they can complete the exterior of the home which we are really anxious for. At that point we will be able to start the pool and are really aiming to get the landscaping done by the end of this month middle of next depending on the pool progress.

We have been discussing whether or not to do hardwood floors on the switch back landing and the upstairs hallway, do you guys think it would be worth the 1400 to upgrade? As well we have been trying to think of a cost effective way to beef up the crown molding. I don't really want it to be overwhelming so we have been talking about doing the 2 piece crown molding trick, with the 5 1/2 inch crown molding and then 2-3 inches below doing the show molding/ pencil molding and painting the whole bit the same color, i have seen it in a few houses and really liked the look! Not sure anybody else has seen it but would love input too!!

Here are some updated pictures!

The master bed room looking into the closets and the master bath

The master suit ceiling, I love the way it's coming together!!

The attached 3 car garage and the carriage garage have been poured!!

Some of the exterior trim, it will all be painted black!

Everybody's homes look great!!!!

Clayton

o

I'm jealous! I just can't imagine being at the point where all of you are, the point where actual building takes place! The whole planning process has taken such a long time. BUT construction drawings are suppose to be finished this week (which probably means not until Friday, so another week goes by). All of your builds look great! I'm so happy that I found this site, how helpful and fun it has been to see and read about everyone's projects!

Here is a link that might be useful: building blog

o

From the kitchen looking into the great room. It's so fun and exciting to see the house taking on some character!

o

Livingreen: What kind of stone are you using? It looks great!

o

Livingreen,

Love your fireplace. What shape is the hearth? Is it rounded? Thanks,

Carol

o

Poured footer today! Getting started...

Degcds~ Saw that trim trick in either last months This Old House or the month before!! I have never seen it in a house but it seems genius! Make the eye think the trim takes up more space than it actually does. If you do it please post pics or send me some. Now I'm curious if I can find more examples.

Jen

o

Great, I'm moving along, the contractors just finish pouring the cement earlier today.

o

Jennybc- I just was looking through houzz today and I found a few good examples and I talked to our trim guy today. He said it would be roughly 1.30-1.50 a lf. I really like the look, it really gives it a thicker look, but not being overwhelming!!

http://www.houzz.com/photos/457931/Room-to-Grow-traditional-bathroom-boston

http://www.houzz.com/photos/120559/Lorraine-Vale-traditional-kitchen-charleston

The orange kitchen really isn't my taste color choice but it really shows it off!

o

Thank you guys! The stone is a natural stone called Mahogany. It really has a great amount of variety and we love it. Here is a closer photo of the hearth- a subtle curve.

o

Doing our walk through Tuesday 8AM sharp.
Might as well start the day with a bath ;)

o

Starting to paint my fiber-cement board (back of house). Back covered porch and screened porch floor being poured this week...

o

Brick is almost done and the drywall should finish this week.

o

Hi everyone!

Our project is an addition and gut to the entire existing house (inside and out). Our family of 6 has been living in the house the whole time. The project has dragged on for over a year as we are acting as owner/builders, and also needed to go back to the drawing board due to some aesthetic issues with the original garage gable roof that the architect had designed (and sadly framers built before we knew how unattractive it would be). You will see the garage roof was changed to a flat roof/upper deck that will soon have clear railings. The biggest challenge has been living in the house this past winter as we only have some electrical heaters and fireplace with no insulation (we are in Canada). Anyway, we are happy it is April and hopefully spring weather for us is just around the corner.

The electrical rough in is in progress. The siding is mostly done (except front and a bit of one side). Obviously we will need to get steps to the front door. Still debating whether to do poured concrete or wood or even composite steps (any ideas here?).

Thanks GW for helping me get this far, and for answering my many, many questions.

Here is a picture taken a month or so ago. We now have grass outside which helps the front appearance.

photo 2013_01030087_zps3f664cdb.jpg

P.S. Thanks living for the close up of your hearth.

This post was edited by OntarioMom on Fri, Apr 5, 13 at 19:29

o

Building-a-house~
Love the color of your house and love the board and batten! What kind of siding is it? and Did you do concrete board 4x8 boards with simulated battens or is it a true board and batten from the manufacturer? Also what is the color... Love it!
We were thinking of board and batten for the lower half under porches and a shingle type look in the gable ends.

Thanks!
Jenny

o

We are doing the 2 piece trim trick. You will see it in the first pic below. It is obvious now since it is not painted, but painting begins next week, so hopefully I will have painted trim pics soon. Yippee!

Here's the dining room with the two piece trim at the top of the wall. I love my angled tray ceiling, too. Trying to decide whether to paint the inside of the tray with a metallic paint.
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Here's the stamped concrete screen porch. I love the way it is turning out. Now if we can figure out how to get the same look on the regular concrete porch in front... It has already been poured. Ideas?

Game room with cypress mitered box beams. Now to decide whether to just polyurethane them or to stain...

Also a cypress mantle. The stone floor to ceiling will be installed next week.

Coffered ceilings in family room/kitchen area.

Tile in the girls bathPhotobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

One if the girls learning how tile is laid. This is the laundry room. With no windows, it may be the last pic I get of it up until the very end.

This post was edited by Momto3kiddos on Thu, Apr 4, 13 at 3:39

o

Haven't taken any pictures lately.
Appliances have been installed. Plumber starts finishing up today. Gutters were put on yesterday afternoon. Our walk-through is one week from tomorrow and we start moving in next Saturday. FINALLY!

o

Windows and doors going in!! Hey should be framing the covered back porch/master bedroom deck above it today or tomorrow! They also started setting all the posts for the vineyard this week! So much going on its hard to keep track of!

Our front doors that we have been waiting for ever to see!!

Love the detail on them, they both open!

Front porch being framed out!!

French doors going across the back that walk out to the covered patio!

Garage windows installed! Love the dark bronze color!

The sitting window has been put in, it over looks the vineyard and will have built in seating!

The master bath picture window and dormer!

And a small portion of the vineyard posts drilled and set in the hole! Can't wait to start making wine in.... 3 years!!

Clayton

o

Clayton....
Omg...love the front doors! Are they Glasscraft? I selected the same ones today with just more glass! Just checking if that is the brand...it's hard to order from a catalog! Love the vineyard too!
Pam

o

Our walls are getting poured tomorrow! It's too exciting to contain myself!

Here is a link that might be useful: Exciting happenings

o

Your homes are all very pretty!

We are still plugging away, have lots to accomplish, but have made positive improvement lately.

Here is the vestibule ceiling (plaster not "pointed up" yet in this photo)
Vestibule ceiling photo 364063C3_zps56f38429.jpg

The incomplete basement fireplace/stove (still needs the bottom layer of stone)
 photo B1E7599E_zpsc50e1721.jpg

Part of the butler's pantry
 photo 86ABBE59_zps1331a10a.jpg

One of the vanities in our kids' jack and jill bathroom, the top is honed green eyes granite and the vanity is cherry
 photo 6ECBDAD9_zpsacb90c45.jpg

and this is the house so far
 photo 0974F165_zpsfeb50191.jpg

o

We should be ready to move in about a month (fingers crossed).

o

Getting very excited. It's coming along just as I envisioned. Our door was set yesterday and I love it. Can't wait to see the brick go up!

Can someone tell me how to post more than one picture in one post?

o

Here's the inside of the door.

o

Beautiful, lexmom!

o

Finishing interior trim today! You recall our situation, moved in in December to be able to devote rent money to finishing our home. At that time we had no interior trim, porch columns, porch ceiling, or backsplash, and our stairs were just rough framed. Now we only lack the porch ceiling, tongue and groove pine with clear finish, and the backsplash. Interior trim has taken EONS, but it looks fantastic to me. DH working alone to finish. I think he's hoping it will be too hot and dry to consider landscaping when he finishes the other tasks. Ok with me, this rough setting is going to be a lifetime's work. I can imagine us moving rocks from one place to another for years to come.

o

Clayton...thank you ....what a great door website!

Everyone's projects look great...I can't wait to get started!
Pam

o

@hddana that looks great. I am glad you mentioned your situation as I believe that will be similar to mine. It's nice to see your updates.

o

@jennybc:

Thanks for the kind words. The board and batten is true board and batten (nothing is simulated). It is made by Certainteed. I will have to double check on the color. We are very happy with how it is turning out.

Here is another pic of the porch that is now poured (the ceiling will be dark stained pine tongue and groove and the lower part of the porch you see will also be covered with stone)...

o

Here is one more pic for you of the walkout basement side of the house...

o

Yeah work is still progressing. They have been framing for the last two days.

o

Ugh, things were going well, but the site is too muddy now to continue. We need to wait until the ground thaws fully before it makes sense to continue.

At least the foundation looks good. :)

foundation

o

The framers got all of the trusses set today and everything was going great until I took the 4 wheeler to the far corner of our property (30 acres) and was walking around trying to find a way around a big ravine and slipped on the leaves and tumbled head over heels down to the bottom of the ravine..broke a couple of bones in my foot. The fun part was crawling back up the ravine and then riding the 4 wheeler over rough terrain back to the house.

photo 1_zpsc0c200bb.jpg

o

First time posting after finally joining the forum. My husband and I bought 5acres a couple years ago and are ready to break ground!! We are getting excited to finally begin...just waiting for the load limits to be lifted here in Michigan. I love reading everyone's tips and watching your homes come together.

o

Hired an architect and sent him rough room sizes. Waiting for topographical, geological and archeological land surveys to be done.

o

Hi again,

I have posted a few more photos of our house exterior. Our house and lot is more modest than many, but I feel I should show people our progress given the enormous amount of help I have received from GW 's many forums. Please excuse the paper blinds as we are living in the house so needed a quick fix for privacy. My door is made from fiberglass with some mahogany trim. The transom is more clear glass than the door, but is currently covered with paper until the interior is finished.

photo 2013_04050025_zps9b26d9e5.jpg

photo 2013_04050030_zps8a2ecb77.jpg

photo 2013_04050028_zps2895b7d5.jpg

photo 2013_04050032_zpsa3b3abb5.jpg

photo 2013_04050026_zps8304513d.jpg

o

Ontariomom: LOVE those doors.

o

Thanks so much hddana! Now I just have to figure out what to do for the exterior steps. So many decisions!

Carol

o

OntarioMom - Love the materials used on the exterior. My front door is the same glass pattern. Love it!

o

Thanks motherof3sons, it was hard to choose the exterior materials and colours. The house will have a clear railing over the flat roof garage accessed from the deck door. Without the railing, the garage looks odd. Here it is in a stripped down Sketch-up picture so you know what I mean (and hopefully are not going yikes weird front elevation).

photo flatroofanddecknorthdetail.jpg

Carol

o

Wow... Lexmom that door looks fabulous! I love the exterior of your home. Similar doors, similar styles! I cannot wait to see more as things progress!

LOTO hope you are all better soon!

Hddana- the dining room looks great! What a talented DH!

o

LOTO! How scary! I hope your foot heals quickly. House looks great.

o

momtothreekiddos, it says your pictures have been removed, I'd love to see them. Lexmomof3, I love that design in your window above your front door, where did you special order them and does the swirly design have a name?

o

After close to 8 months of building & over 1 year since engaging in the process we will begin our gradual move-in tomorrow into our modest bungalow.

Thanks to the community for helping & teaching us.
Lots of positives from this experience.

The below were from yesterday in delivery condition & awaiting our arrival - albeit a few more minor tweaks still needed - so it really hasn't ended LOL.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

This post was edited by pbx2 on Wed, Apr 17, 13 at 23:13

o

pbx2: Beautiful! I love all the white :)

When we were doing plans, we were not sure if we would have to have a railing on our front porch. Everything measured fine and we do not have to have one and I so excited!

Here are the porch posts getting wrapped- 10 inches.

Here is a link that might be useful: blog

This post was edited by sweet.reverie on Sun, Apr 7, 13 at 16:48

o

@ sweet.reverie - your shingle siding is to die for!

& thanks for the nice words - it's actually our interpretation of "50 shades of grey" ;)

The camera & screen resolution seems to accentuated the light & seem to make everything "whiter" but trust me, there are greys in there LOL!

This post was edited by pbx2 on Mon, Apr 8, 13 at 1:28

o

pbx2 - I. Love. Your. House. Holy cow what an awesome integration of some of my favorite home elements. The stairs are incredible and look so perfect with the white elsewhere - I'm never confident about carrying off that mix but you did it. Since we aren't remotely certain we'll even build, I watch this board with a somewhat casual attitude and don't always keep straight who's doing what but I'd love to know more about your build - do you have a blog? I remember you have a long narrow house and you linked to an inspiration site a while back but do you have details all one place? My husband will use this as ammunition since I'm the one putting the brakes on a build!

sweet reverie - when I picture building, it looks a lot like your house - your porch is going to be lovely. What a wonderful setting!

o

Not sure what happened to the pics... They are still in my photobucket account. Weird... Here's a few.

o

I went back out to my homesite to get a few photos today...the Dr. won't put my foot into a cast until the swelling goes down...luckily the bones weren't completely broken and only had fractures but it still hurts. Thanks for the concerns of the GW people.
Luckily I am at the point in my build where the different tradesmen can come in and start their work and I don't have to do much physical labor for awhile.

photo 2_zpsdd88b461.jpg

photo 3_zps6cb336de.jpg

o

tempe110 - the style of the grille pattern above the door is called "gothic arch". They are also above the dormer windows too but difficult to see because the paper is on the windows. I ordered them through the building supply store that ordered our windows.

o

all these homes are looking really great!! makes my husband and i really excited to start!! 2014 is our year.

o

pbx2 - You have a lovely home! Our tastes seem quite in line as we have quite a few of the same finishes / fixtures selected for our upcoming build.

A couple quick questions : The pendants over your island. They look like the Restoration Hardware Benson pendants. If so, can you tell me which size you selected? Also, the beautiful drum ceiling fixtures that are finished in what seems to be white linen. Can you point me to which ones those are?

Thanks so much!

o

Hi -
@dlm2000 -
Unfortunately, we really didn't documented our story anywhere on the www but we would be more than happy to answer any questions you may have.

& thank u for the nice words. Hearing your feedback serves as confirmation that we made good decisions. Going through the process on GW, we were pretty awestruck by the brilliant ideas & surefootedness that every1 seemed to possess. We had no formal design experience at all going into this. But, the one thing we got out of being here on GW was to trust our eyes & build with our heart. If it looks good to you, that's all that matter. So go for it!

@MGDawg
Those are the Benson Pendants (You outed us with our RH fanboyism. LOL) - little back story - we searched high & low to find something more reasonably priced but alas, nothing had the shape & style of the Bensons. So we splurged on those in size 13".
At first when they went up, they looked huge but once the cabs went in, everything just fell into place proportionally.

Re: drum lights in the living room & top of the stairs - respectively - RH Round Shade Chandelier & the Horchow "Simplistic" Ceiling Fixture.

This post was edited by pbx2 on Mon, Apr 8, 13 at 1:30

o

Our vanity was finished this weekend!
Still crossing out fingers ae can get occupancy by Friday!!

o

also, aside from the front door not being stained yet, here is part of the front of our house.

o

Waiting on the chimney to be installed other than that everything is going good.

o

Our home is almost complete, we are closing in 3 weeks! Here's a pic of the outside.

o

pbx2 - I would love to see a general outline of your plan, or the inspiration. Your home is gorgeous!

o

@ jkliveng Thank you for the shout out!
We don't have anything prepped to show you online but our inspiration has always been:
* charlie simmons's modern shingle

& an expanded riff on our builder's own *plans .

After being involved with overseeing something so amazing take shape, we understand why musicians alway pay homage to those things that inspire them profoundly.

Let me know if I can answer any more questions.

This post was edited by pbx2 on Tue, Apr 9, 13 at 2:02

o

pbx2: that houzz shingle house was one of our inspirations too :) Such a pretty house.

o

Well, things have still been progressing a bit slow but still moving. We are doing our electric walk through on Friday, then plumbing electric and hvac start all next week. Our well is going in within the next two weeks as well, then they will start the exterior stone and stucco! We only have a few things left to be framed, the groin ceiling in the foyer and an arch in the basement which will be stone! Also got all the grapes ordered for the vineyard!

Fireplace with the angle toward the ceiling!

The coffered grids in the great room

My favorite windows!!!

The groin ceiling between the master bed and bath

And the vineyard posts are all set! They are starting the pergola next week!

o

Wow degcds, that groin ceiling between the master bed and bath plays tricks on my eyes, but I bet it is going to be awesome once it is done!

Drywall going up on the inside of our house which I don't have too many pictures of. Here is a the latest picture of the outside though.

o

amtrucker- Your home looks beautiful! How long has it taken you to get to the point your at?

We love the groin ceiling, we are doing one in the foyer to match the arch of the front doors!

o

degcds - Our home is a slow modest build and is not due until the end of July (started in back in November). Wish we were getting some of the details that some of the people here on gw are getting (like you), but we are just happy to be able to build this house!

o

No actual building yet, but we just secured our builder and gave him a 5% deposit. I am so excited to finally get started to build something on a lot we bought in 2004! The builder we decided on builds only one home at a time so we will have to wait until May 2014 approximately to start the actual build. In the meantime we will be working on finalizing our housing plans. It should take us three months to do that and to get our HOA approval.

o

Have been lurking on here a while. Finally decided to register and post some pics. We broke ground in November and are shooting for a mid July finish. Architect and contractor are my FIL so VERY fortunate to have that help. Pics that I am posting are not up to date. Roof is now on, all electric, plumbing done, spray foam starts this week.

o

More pics

o

Back side. As you can hopefully tell by my pics I have rolled the dice on saving as many trees as possible on my 1 acre lot! As the co-contractor I have really stressed to my subs to stay away from trees....no parking etc.... near them.

o

War eagle~

Love the setting. Like the looks of your house, I agree with you on keeping trees! I would have done the same in your shoes. Our build us in front of our woods and behind our pasture. So the front faces 10acres of fenced pasture and the back view is over our pond and towards a valley and hill of trees of an additional 30 acres.

Basement walls have been poured! Framer is coming in about 3 weeks.

Jen

o

Jennybc....jealous of your acreage!

o

Hooray! We've started today!

o

Yay Amanda! Good luck.

o

livingreen2013 -- Do you have pictures of your kitchen..??.. I noticed the beams in the picture you posted looking from the kitchen into the great room.

Also, do you have pictures of the ceiling in your great room..??.. Looks like it might be wood planks..??..

Love the stone you are using; You indicated it's called "Mahogany" -- is that from a local quary..??..

Your house has a lot of the details that I like... looking forward to more pictures. Thanks!

o

by degcds: Really like your front door... can you share the width of the opening and of the doors..??...

We're still in the preliminary designing stage and are looking at front door options. We have a single front door now but are considering a 'double' front door in our new house. We wondered if we needed to have it made to be extra wide to avoid having to open BOTH doors to enter. ie; If one door is just 24" [??] wide... or ~whatever... that seems narrow to walk through.

Appreciate any advice / suggestions you have to share about your decision process on your front door selection.

o

Progress still being made excited is an understatement.

o

Another picture

o

We have been in a bit of delay because we missed the framing inspection approval because of a vent. But we did the patio forms done!

o

With rain about every other day progress has been slow on my build...still not dried in yet but a couple of sunny days should get us close and the roofers are ready.
The geothermal well driller came out today and flagged for the wells and will get that part done next week if it just stops raining for awhile.

btw...not that the fractured foot is healing and no pain there I found out that I also have a sprained ankle...those I hate!!!

o

Hi LOTO -- Curious to know if you've had a 'geothermal' system before... ??... Are you using 'Water Furnace' --??--

o

I have never had a geo system before and looking forward to it and I am going with ClimateMaster

o

We have a hole! Footings should be complete this week.

o

Finally got most of the painting done.

Insulation and drywall starting this week.

o

View of the back screened porch (foreground) and covered porch. Wood burning fireplace to be installed very soon.

o

If we don't get any rain, we're supposed to start tomorrow! 5 acres of mostly level pasture, with some nice mountain views. Can't wait!

o

krock, that is awesome!

o

Rained out again today but I got the insulation finalized. Using BIB insulation for most of the home but will need to use fiberglass batts in parts of the vaulted ceiling and garage ceiling (bonus room joists). Still going to use 3" of closed cell foan on the rim joists and then 1" on the concrete crawspace foundation wall.

o

building a house- Love your house color and your brick...beautiful. We have selected 'smokestone' (greenish/gray) darker siding with white trim and similar brick color. Do you have interior pics??

o

We have been progressing, and more of the nitty gritty can be seen in my blog. We are farther than what I have updated in the blog, so I am attaching a couple snap shots that are not in there. Here is the front door we are painting along with the light that needs badly adjusted!

Here is a link that might be useful: home blog

This post was edited by lzerarc on Wed, Apr 17, 13 at 9:30

o
beam

I stained the beam holding up the clerestory.

o
main bath tile

I installed the tile in the main bathroom and set the toilet later.

o

We moved in this weekend!!

Follow the link for mostly up to date pictures!!

Here is a link that might be useful: House Blog!

o

So excited for everyone!

We've been preapproved for our construction loan, and are expecting construction drawings this week. Also just filed the application for the perk test (property has perked several times before, but they're expired).

o

Not exactly a house, but our barn is an integral part of our total project. I got the final inspection today- It's done! Now, back to the house.....

photo 014-2.jpg

o

lzerarc-- Everything looks great! We just chose a door that looks a lot like yours. :)

What kind of tile is that in your bathroom?

o

lzerarc - We have three clerestory windows that look a lot like yours, and exposed beams like yours, but they aren't under the clerestory windows. I like the way yours go together.

I like your fan too! Do you remember the brand and model number?

o

lzerarc-love that bathroom tile!

flgargoyle-nice barn!

kaljr-congrats on getting to move in!

We are meeting with house designer next week and currently getting our home ready to put on the market. Much to do!

o

@toots4 --- Thanks! Its actually stone (not brick).

Drywall going in this week. Hope to have some pics soon. Maybe I will wait until next month.

o

Everyone has wonderful pics to share!

Flgargoyle - Always love a red barn. Wish we had one on our property. Can't wait to see the house!

o

kaljr...looks great. Love your paint choices. Anyway you can post details of paint choices you used for each room? Thanks.

o

thanks all. still lots of work to go.
The tile in that bathroom is Daltile Fabrique Blanc linen color.
The ceiling fan we got at Lowes. Its a Harbor Breeze 72" Slinger Helicopter fan

o

War-Eagle,
They are all Sherwin Williams colors.
Living Room, Foyer, Dining Room, Kitchen - Gray Clouds

Master Bath - Perfect Greige

Master Bedroom - On The Rocks

Main Bath - Nantucket Dune

Spare Bedroom #1 - Versatile Gray

Powder Room - Copen Blue

The rest of the rooms are just Dover White until we decide on colors for them.

This post was edited by kaljr82 on Thu, Apr 18, 13 at 12:07

o

Ok kaljr82, how did you make that color swatch?? Awesome Idea!!

o

My wife is the one responsible for making the swatches.
Maybe I can get her on here and give you a quick rundown!
Glad you liked!

o

nvmd

This post was edited by chris401 on Sun, Jan 12, 14 at 22:58

o

Still bricking and having stucco put on. In the interior the 2nd phase of plumbing is complete and HVAC started today!

Everyone's homes look great...nice to have a community of people going through similar challenges.

BTW, how do you attach more than one picture?

o

jannz77- Sorry for just now seeing his! Unfortunately, we are in the painting stage right now and most of our "pretties" are covered up, but here is what I do have. Our great room has a stained panel ceiling with barnwood beams, and the kitchen also has smaller beams. I'm unsure of where the mahogony stone comes from- it's just a natural stone available at our local stone store. I appreciate the kind comments. It's always fun to talk take joy in the process with people who have similar tastes. Good luck with everything!

o

Great room looking into kitchen...

o

Our house is now painted and beams are stained.... Here is an update.

The mudroom cubbies and drop zone
Game room with beams.... Window seat needs to be put back. We had to move it for a hvac vent relocation.
A view of half of the butlers pantry. Please ignore the cobalt blue dining room. The color is changing this week. It doesn't look that vibrant in real life, but it is not the neutral dark blue I was going for. Let's hope the next color works better.
A look at the granite and a few backsplash options. They haven't permanently placed it because they want to undercount the sinks first. My super single silgranit sink broke somewhere in transit or at the fabricators, so we have to wait for a new one.
Walls have been painted. This is family room looking towards kitchen. It is all open.
Th corner fireplace opposite from the kitchen
My sons room and bathroom. I am so thrilled with the darker gray paint and tile up the wall.
My daughter's rooms are both this color. It doesn't photograph too well, but it is the best shade of aqua. It should grow with them for quite a while.
Lastly, my bath. Some tile work, upper cabinets and backsplash yet to happen.

o

Started digging the basement today. So nice to finally get started.

o

Walls up and floor poured today!! Framers coming soon for first floor so we can backfill.

o

Momto3kiddos, would you share your paint color in your kitchen and family room? I love it. Thanks!

o

Momto3kiddos, would you share your paint color in your kitchen and family room? I love it. Thanks!

o

Sure ash... It is BM Revere Pewter. It comes across as a warm gray. I have been very pleased with it so far. I like the grays but couldn't commit to a cool gray. I had only seen pics online with the color and the swatch. I am so glad it worked well. The trim is SW Alabaster... A soft white.

Flargoyle- I LOVE the barn. I hate we have to wait a while before we build one. I cannot wait to see the house go up.

o

Brick is now done.

o

Dry wall going in over foam in kitchen. They finished downstairs yesterday. Start upstairs today.

o

Basement walls being poured today...woo hoo!

o

We have been getting rain about 3 days a week for the last month and the framers finally got the roof sheathing finished today.
The roofers started stocking materials today and will start on the roof in the morning..plumber starting rough in tomorrow, HVAC rough in on Wednesday, and electrical on Thursday...these crews have worked together many times and will work together on who has the "right of way".

A window goes in the big gables and vents go in the smaller ones, The framers still have some OSB to put on and some wrap then it is on to the windows...going with James Hardie siding on the majority of the house and James Hardie shake shingles on the larger gables and stone around the front door and windows.
Everything sounds good on paper but things never go as easy as planned. Going to be 85 the next 3 days and then a high of 45 and rain for the 3 days after :(

photo 1_zps8883d2ee.jpg

o

finally had some nice weather to start working outside. Its been 40s and raining for the last several weeks. Finally got up to 70s! It was great.
Got outside and worked on the front porch. I installed the cedar soffit and worked on installing the cedar around the upper columns.

o

siding started

o

I have a headache after today but it is a good headache. Roofers, plumbers, HVAC, Framers, concrete crew, and electricians were on site today and everything went pretty smooth. The interior rough in started and everyone marked out their space and are Happy, Happy!!
The raised footings for the shop got poured today and I have to fill with gravel and then the 5" slab gets poured on top...front and back porches on the house are getting poured tomorrow too. My shop will have a full bath and an office :)

photo 1_zps3a1ce30d.jpg

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here