Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
phoggie_gw

A fireplace or not?

phoggie
12 years ago

As must of you know my long saga, I won't repeat it.....

but it seems that I am probably going to build.

The house I build must be modest, but I want a house that can be resold in the event of my death or nursing home.

I am newly widowed, 70 yrs. old, and DH and I put a fireplace in our present home and rarely use it. It just sits there looking pretty...and holds pictures and candles~

I am looking at house plans to have built and I am wondering if a fireplace is some place I can cut some cost, or does it really add that much in value. This house will be built in a 55+ area, so mostly widowed people or just a couple.

Would you or would you not put in a fireplace?

Thanks!

Comments (15)

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

Yes, but I would make it a gas fireplace. It would be less maintenance, with the convenience of instant ambience, by pushing a button. A fireplace does give the room a focal point and I'm guessing your living area will be open to the kitchen/dining area, too. You will have the lovely view outside, but since you have winters...I would put in the fireplace :)

• ILoveRed
    12 years ago

Phoggie-did you notice on the last thread that Renovator8 who is a talented architect on our forum left a note for you?

Might want to check that out.

• dekeoboe
    12 years ago

How much would you actually use the fireplace? If you won't use it much, then it would be a great place to cut expenses. Also, no fireplace can make it easier for furniture placement.

• phoggie
    Original Author
    12 years ago

No,Red Lover, I did not see it....I'll look for it or if you know where it is, please post it....THANKS!

• booboo60
    12 years ago

phoggie,

I agree with lavender lass, I would put in a gas fireplace, especially if you have winters!

• sedona_heaven
    12 years ago

Me too! Gas fireplace is cozy and there are lots of different sizes you could tuck in different places.

• SpringtimeHomes
    12 years ago

Iam with dekobee, No fireplace. Its a waste of upfront money, wastes monthly expenses on energy (fuel + loss of conditioned air) and compromises indoor air quality.

• marcolo
    12 years ago

Gas fireplace.

• wvmama
    12 years ago

Definitely fireplace!

• LuAnn_in_PA
    12 years ago

"Would you or would you not put in a fireplace? "

I would... but only one that burns wood!

• worthy
    12 years ago

In our market, wood fireplaces are rarely built anymore. Last home I did, we had three natural gas units, used frequently.

• marie_ndcal
    12 years ago

I prefer a free standing wood stove, that is if wood is avaiable at a reasonable price (free).

• kirkhall
    12 years ago

What do most of the homes in the neighborhood you are thinking to build in have? If they all have FPs, then you might put one in. If not, then don't if you won't appreciate it.
    Or, consider one like this:
    www.justfireplaces.com

• ppbenn
    12 years ago

My inlaws lived in our rental for 10 years starting at age 70 My FIL passed away and MIL stayed there by herself for 5 more years. We installed a decorative zero clearance woodstove with glass doors (Looked like a FP with tile and mantel)and she loved being able to throw a couple logs on to take the chill off and would do this sept to may in Pa. When wood became a chore we bought the boxes of ""logs"" from Sam's and she used that. LOVED the fact that when there was a power outage several times she could heat the place if need be.
    She is 85 and moved to senior living and misses the warmth of the FP.
    I would never buy a home without a FP.

• miffy13
    12 years ago

If you wont use it and are only worried about resale, we were told they can now be added later. We are not having any because we dont use them. Our builder said if we ever want to sell, the new owner could add one to outside walls pretty easily.

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012