Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
It's April 2012 - How's Your Build Progressing?

Posted by aries61 (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 1, 12 at 9:49

Since no one else has started this topic, I figure I would. I guess I'm the unofficial starter for this topic. With the warmer weather starting, we should see a lot more activity.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: It's April 2012 - How's Your Build Progressing?

Very slowly, 2 weeks lost because an electrical inspector didn't show up and then came the next week, but forgot his paperwork! Never a dull moment in building a house.

o

After all the site work issues we had, March turned out to be a very good month for us! The weather was perfect and we were able to get framing done, windows and doors in along with the grading disaster worked out....

Front Views
Photobucket

Driving up to the house....circle drive is just about finished...

Photobucket

Rear of house...screened porch is still in progress

Photobucket

o

We're hoping to close in 4 weeks. Just waiting on carpet, countertops, plumbing, and exterior (driveway, yard etc) work.

Exterior:
Photobucket
Foyer:
Photobucket
Dining room:
Photobucket
Kitchen:
Photobucket
Photobucket
Living room:
Photobucket
Master bed:
Photobucket
Master bath:
Photobucket
Main Bath:
Photobucket
Bedrooms:
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

o

Great progress Andi! And nadine, you must be so excited to be coming down to the wire.
We're still slogging along here! Started the build last May and lost a lot of time on the timberframe rear porch. We've just gotten totally watertight as of 2 weeks ago so that should make many of you feel like you've been speed building! :)
Hoping for insulation this week and then it's on to sheetrock as the plumbing and electrical inside are ready to go and everything passed inspection last week.
We began the garage a few weeks ago so it hasn't quite caught up to the house and is missing windows, doors and roof.
Here's a view of the front....
Photobucket

Photobucket

Stone water table to give some depth to the house. Hardi board done in a random board and batten will be on the wrapped areas.
Photobucket

View below is of the kitchen window wall. The little lower "window" is an opening in the stone wall that is in an exterior hallway leading to the mechanical room exterior entrance. The opening is directly across from a window to a bathroom on the other wall so that there is natural light in the bathroom.
Photobucket

Upper porch....
Photobucket

View of the rear of the house....
Photobucket

More info and photos at the blog

Here is a link that might be useful: www.newsfromthehill.com

o

Great progress everyone! We are progressing after a significant stall. Drywall on main floor done; taping and mudding this week. Drywallers back this weekend to do the basement.

o

Nadine, who is the manufacturer of your siding? What is the color called?

o

New to this site but loving it! We broke ground 5 weeks ago and moving right along so far. Trusses will be delivered Thursday morning and the plan is to have roof sheeted by quitting time Friday. So my fingers are crossed. Everyone's houses are turning out so beautiful. Thank you for sharing!

o

Mastic Ovation Vinyl siding
Color is English Wedgewood.
We had a limited number of colors to choose from and I was a little concerned it would be too grey, but it is truely a nice blend of greyish blue. Our neighbors houses are yellow and beige/taupe and I wanted ours to stand out a bit. I love it.

o

gbsim- what kind of windows did you select? I love dark window frames. They look great. Are you planning on trimming them out?

o

I've been lurking here for a couple of years and the site has been a HUGE help in researching and making decisions. I've just now joined as our construction is underway and things are really moving right along.

We broke ground late January. Framing is finished, most of the electric and plumbing prep is done. The standing seam metal roof started last week and should be finished this week (they are putting the ridge vents and caps on the last few peaks). The mason started laying the brick yesterday. Only setback so far is the washed white sand delivered for the mortar. Two truckloads were dumped. The first one is fine, the second one the truck wasn't washed thoroughly and there are clumps of clay and dirt throughout. Our mason is rejecting the load and having more brought, as we don't want clumps of dirt through the mortar, and the light sand is very important to get the mortar color right.

We are using a whitewashed brick and found out how important sand was to mortar in brick color when we were shopping for brick. The wrong color sand totally changed the effect on some of the houses we checked out: with the wrong sand we hated the effect, even though the mortar color and brick were identical to other houses we loved that had used very clean white sand. We ended up doing a field test with the exact sand that was available to use, two different white mortars (Oyster White and Satan, we went with Satan), and a few dozen of our brick (Chattooga Vista from Hanson). I breathed a huge sigh today as I saw the first 1/2 wall up and I think we got it right!

If I can figure out posting pictures here, I'll have something to share later this week.

o

Thanks lzerarc!
I spent a lots of time researching windows and we went with Loewen.
We liked the construction plus the interiors will all be stained and the vertical grain fir is lovely.
Another thing that swayed us to loewen was that we have 4 sets of 9' high French Doors and one single that lead out to the back. Their doors were very solid!
The Tuscan brown color is awesome. They'll be trimmed out with a plain flat hardi trim over the board batten hardi. The trim will match the dark color you see on the posts and rafter tails and will also be the fascia color..

Here is a link that might be useful: More photos on the blog

o

Things are starting to happen for us! We are building a post and beam house, so the timber portion is being built off-site and will be delivered in late spring. In March, we demolished some existing buildings and now we are ready to pour the footings. There's not much exciting to see on site yet, but here are some photos of our frame (these are Western Red Cedar logs).

o

Love those big beams!

o

Wow, gorgeous houses everyone! Gbsim I love your house! I looked on your blog but couldn't find your layout. Have you posted it? Would you? I can't wait to see more!

o

We are moving right along. Brick and stone will be delivered on Monday. They just blocked up our back porch which will be our screened in porch. So far inside we have rough plumbing. This is a Frank Betz Holly Springs house plan.

Back of house:
http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z394/dlnilsen/553976_10150782765931063_607516062_12151794_257133068_n.jpg

Front of house:
http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z394/dlnilsen/525800_10150782757801063_607516062_12151773_1750648855_n.jpg

o
Let's try this again

Okay...let's try this again:

Front of house:

April 5, 2012

Back of house:

April 5th, 2012

o

Thanks Mayberry!

No I haven't ever posted a plan of the layout. I didn't ask for any GW opinions on the floorplan .... just didn't think it right to be second guessing the architect online especially during the design phase. And we were pretty set on what we wanted and it all came together nicely.

I haven't been able to post the plans since they are so tiny when transferred to the blog etc.

The house is about 4,500 square feet LA with a full walkout basement. The master is up and there are 2 bedrooms, 2 baths, a study and a center hall in the lower level.... plus a storage room and a mechanical room/workshop.

We're hoping to be in by August, but it's been pretty slow going. August will be 15 months!

Here is a link that might be useful: News From The Hill

o

Everyone's houses are looking great! Nice to see the progress being made.

The front of ours is actually finished now but the builder sent us these photos just before it was done.

The front door is Provia fiberglass with inspiration glass. And the stone is from Crab Orchard .. we went to the quarry and picked it.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Close up of front door:

And a close up of the stone:

o

Exciting stuff going on at our build last week and this week! Flooring last week, and this week. Appliances come tomorrow. Cabinet install this Thursday and Friday. Should start looking like a home soon! I'm going to wait to post pics til the weekend after the cabinets are in.

o

We've had some progress and I just updated tons of pics on my little blog below.

Please tell me if I'm being too lazy by just posting a link and not also reposting the pics on here :)

Here is a link that might be useful: our house progress

o

We're coming along! Drywall was finally started this week and excavators are working on the retaining wall for the walkout. We are hoping to begin painting by the end of next month!
Not much new with the exterior, this picture doesn't show the porch posts that are now covered. Just waiting for the stone.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Retaining wall
Photobucket
The box for the fireplace is built
Photobucket
Insulation is done. This is the wall adjacent to the fireplace
Photobucket
We have drywall!This is looking into the bonus room upstairs.
Photobucket

o

I have settled on my exterior design and created these couple of renderings. We will break ground shortly!

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

Beautiful homes - the ones I can see. For some reason the last four post pics don't come through on my monitor. I wonder why I have problems with photobucket and tinypic?

o

In the last ten days:

Planted trees in the back of the lot
Broke ground
Poured foundation
Poured basement floor

Walls will start to go up this week. They're built off-site so it will go very quickly. I anticipate the roof will be on in the next ten days.

o

Signed the Contract Last NIGHT!! To begin within 2 weeks!!!!

o

Love all the progress pics.

It has taken us 2.5 months (seemed like 6) and numerous changes to get ARC approval but we finally got it this week. Many compromises including our preferred standing seam roof which is now limited to accent roofs and entry, horizontal railings that required additional vertical posts and metal clad accents. Still very excited.

Next step is to remove a portion of scrub oak around the building envelope and stake the house. We hope to begin those activities next week in order to get the building permit.

I want to see dirt moving!

Continued good luck to all.

o

smpop, your open/closed cell insulation is not to the studs which usually is. They will tell you it is good enough but read what you paid for!

o

Peytonroad- our house has 2x6 studs. Does this make a difference with the spray foam insulation? Thanks for the input!

o

We are working on the siding right now and the weather is perfect for it!
It is a team of family working on decks, siding, fascia, and soffit! So glad we have family willing to help.
Siding color is: Spanish Galleon
Front of house:
Back of house:

o

We finally broke ground!!! Yay!!! This pic is actually from over a week ago. Our builder said we should have the foudation poured by the end of the week.

Photobucket

o

Everybody is making such great progress...such beautiful homes.

We've finally entered the finishing stage, which I would definitely call the most fun stage! Here are some progress pics...

DD trying out the stairs
Photobucket
Mudroom...very happy with how this turned out
Photobucket
DS entertaining himself with writing in the dust. I loved my Brown Antique slab but they cut it too short AND rounded one corner, so it has to be replaced :-(
Photobucket
Sun Room...one of my favorite rooms in the house
Photobucket
Another kitchen picture...I'm happy with how the two tone turned out.
Photobucket
Built-Ins in the study
Photobucket
View into the dining room
Photobucket

These were all taken last week after the trim carpenters had finished up and cleaned out all their stuff. I didn't get any good pictures of the family room but I'll add more later. The painters are there now, so in a couple weeks or so I'll have more.

o

cbusmom- Can I ask what brand your cabinets are? We're at that stage right now, and I like the shade of your white cabinets. We're also near cbus. :)

o

@Mom23Es-Thanks! Our builder uses Scioto Kitchens. The brand is Haas and I think the color is Marshmallow. But honestly, I'm a little confused about the color. Originally, we were going to go with Showplace cabinets because they were the only brand that Scioto Kitchens carries that had a soft white that I liked. Then my KD called me and told me that Haas was running a custom color special and I could custom match them to my trim (SW Creamy) and save some money. I didn't see the need for soft close drawers, which are standard in Showplace and thus increase the cost, so switching to Haas seemed to make sense. Then, when the sample door came back for my approval it had the name "Marshmallow" on it. I kind of freaked out because I thought it would be "SW Creamy". But, now my trim is painted and they are spot on, so no more worries!

Not sure that was at all helpful and I apologize for the long winded answer :-)

o

Submitted permits to county-- that counts as progress, right? Not very photogenic...

o

Nadine- what color paint did you use for your master bedroom? We would like to do a shade of grey and yours looks very nice, would love to compare. Thanks!

o

Almost done.

driveway

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By bb19 at 2012-04-21

shutters waiting on stain

By bb19 at 2012-04-21

By bb19 at 2012-04-21

entrance

By bb19 at 2012-04-21

dining room/study from foyer

By bb19 at 2012-04-21

entering family room

By bb19 at 2012-04-21

more of the family room

By bb19 at 2012-04-21

fireplace and tv cabinet flanking fireplace on the right

By bb19 at 2012-04-21

looking into kitchen

By bb19 at 2012-04-21

kitchen

By bb19 at 2012-04-21

mud hall with lockers

By bb19 at 2012-04-21

master bath

By bb19 at 2012-04-21

o

In our 18th week! Exterior 95% done, Trim 90% done, Paint done. Electrical and Floors next two weeks, Counters on 5/7 then we hope to close on 5/17!

Photobucket
Photobucket

Foyer into Great Room, Kitchen, Hall, and Dining Room
Photobucket

Foyer into Dining Room
Photobucket

Dining Room into Great Room
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

Wow, I have to say every single picture of these homes are amazing! I love hoe eclectic everyone's tastes is and how it comes out in their homes!!
Dnilsen,
I would love to hear your thoughts on building a Frank Betz home. We are building a modified Highland Place from Betz.
Finally after all our trouble with drainage we have some progress. Temporary driveway was put in and grading has begun. Hope to have footings this week!!
Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

o

Hey aucorley!

So far it's been great! A lot of it depends on your builder. Ours was able to push our garage out 2 feet (along with the over garage bonus room) without any modifications through Frank Betz. We also chose to push our front porch out 2 feet which gives us a really nice and spacious front porch! Everyone that comes and walks through (we are dried in), comments on how well laid out it is. Good luck to you and I look forward to seeing lots more pictures. I will post more as we get closer.

o

BB19 - I love the style of your house - it looks so warm and inviting with the wood tones and brick. Lovely home!

All the new homes are exciting to watch take shape!

o

More progress made since last update a couple of weeks ago!!

This is our future screened in back porch!!!

Photobucket

o

Thanks downsy! We're excited because we only have about a week left. Landscaping should be finished by next Friday.

o

bb19 - BEAUTIFUL! I have only seen bits and pieces but seeing it all come together in that beautiful setting - wow!

o

bb19~ Love your new home! Would you mind sharing the details for your brick floor? I'm also considering a brick floor for my mud room. What do you think the maintenance will be like? What paint did you pair it with? Thanks!

o

Thanks athensmom. Like you, we chose to paint the brick and I'm very happy we did.

laurajane02 - The brick floor is reclaimed brick called coffeeville set in a basketweave pattern. I'm hoping the maintenance will be low. Brick floors are somewhat common in Louisiana so I got to talk to several homeowners who have them. The consensus was that they are great but you have to seal them approx once a year otherwise they can chip or crumble at the joints. The work required for sealing depends on what you seal with. If it's a water based sealer then you just roll it on and let it dry. If it's a polyurethane then it's much more involved but you don't have to seal it as often.

Our paint choice was difficult but we settled with SW antique white in the "common" areas and used SW believable buff in the hall. The pictures I posted seem to make the rooms have a green tint which is not the case in real life. I like both because they are neutral and don't compete with the wood and brick.

o

bb19 ~ Thanks for the info! Brick isn't a common flooring choice in my area but I love the look. I'll probably have to source some brick tiles online. I also hope to be as successful as you with mixing painted trim with wood trim within different rooms of our house.

o

We're scheduled to close on Friday so I guess this will be my last post??!!??
Master bedroom color: Feather Grey by Benjamin Moore. It's very similar to Krypton by Sherwin Williams which is what I had in my previous house and loved it.
Here are some updated pics:
Kitchen:
Photobucket
Photobucket
Living Room:
Photobucket
1/2 bath:
Photobucket
Master bath:
Photobucket
Main bath:
Photobucket
Walkway being built:
Photobucket

o

laurajane,

We used whole brick but you can get antique brick tile.

Here is a link that might be useful: brick tile

o

Congratulations Nadine33! Everything looks great! I especially love your paint colors and all your dark cabinets. Fingers crossed for you that everything goes smoothly and you close on schedule. Enjoy your new home!!

o

laurajane,

Correction of the white paint color. It's SW Roman column and not Antique white. Sorry.

o

Everyone's homes look fantastic!

bb19 - what is your foyer light fixture? I've been looking for something similar but can't find the "right one"

o

Andi K,

It's from Ballard design and it's the 19 1/2" x 11 1/4" version.

Here is a link that might be useful: Calisse Pendant

o

All these homes are beautiful! For me, I feel like we've been on fast-forward for months, and I think it will stay that way until we move in the house this summer. Lots of fun now seeing how it is all working together.
Cabinets are being installed in kitchen.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Tile work in kids and guest bath.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Wine room--still some cabinetry to install.
Photobucket
Barrel vault ceiling waiting for a glittery light fixture in the entry.
Photobucket
Exterior ready to start landscaping.
Photobucket
Still need to find a tile to surround the dining room fireplace. Original selection came back with a 3K price tag so its back to the tile store for me!

o

bb19 - thanks so much...that's a great fixture!

cvtxmama - love that barrel vault ceiling!

o

bb19...... I'm loving so many aspects of your home!!! Could I ask if it is a stock plan or original? We've struggled finding a house plan we love.

o

cvtxmama - Cool house! I really like all the stone.

Herewegoagain - Thank you. It's a custom home. I spent almost 2 years trying to come up with the best plan for our family. What helped me the most was looking through thousands of plans and studying the book "A Pattern Language". I got a lot of ideas from other plans and Pattern Language explained what patterns makes a home pleasant.

A home that has a similar layout to mine but a different facade is Tucker Bayou. I came very close to building that home.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tucker Bayou

o

bb19....Thanks for the info. You did a fabulous job! I know you will enjoy!

o

wow, all of these homes are tasteful and unique! i'm going to start browsing this thread more often. i'll try posting some pictures of our build tonight, but what fun to view and read all of these updates.

o

bb19....Your house is looking gorgeous! What kind of windows do you have? Are your grilles between the glass or simulated divided light?

o

lindsay221,

Thank you.

The windows are Hurd with wood on the inside and aluminum on the outside. They do have a strip between the glass.

o

Been so busy with baby Harry (who just turned 4 months old) that I haven't had a chance to post here, but I did update my blog last night so I'll put that link here. I'll post in May for sure though!

Here is a link that might be useful: Let's Build a Home

o

Grace - I love your house and Harry is so cute! I have a 9 month old DS so I know how busy things get...

I love the colors you've chosen. Any chance you have time to share the names? I'm looking for a similar palette myself.

o

Harry is officially the cutest thing on our monthly build thread!

I believe he's growing as fast as some of the houses... especially mine as I'm closing in on the one year mark. Yikes! Our builder had told us to expect about 14 months and it appears that he's right or even optimistic.

o

Thanks everyone! Harry is our pride & joy :)

Here are all our paint colors:

Window/Door/Built-in Trim: BM INT RM 02 - Super White in satin finish

Front door: BM 528 - Vienna Green in semi-gloss finish

Front entry, stairwell, upper hallway, kitchen, under stairs, front closet, laundry, playroom, mudroom, back entry: BM AF-310 Subtle in flat/matte finish

Pantry & Powder Room: SW 6219 Rain eggshell finish

Living Room: BM HC-171 Wickham Gray flat/matte finish

Family Room: SW 7661 Reflection flat/matte finish

Dining Room: BM 1565 Mount Saint Anne flat/matte finish

Office: SW 7616 Breezy flat/matte finish

Master Bedroom & Closets: SW 6224 Mountain Air flat/matte finish

Master Bath: SW 6227 Meditative eggshell finish

Back bedroom: MSL263 Martha Stewart Dolphin flat/matte finish

Front bedroom: BM AF-490 Tranquility flat/matte finish

Kids bath: SW 6219 Rain eggshell finish

MIL:
Entry & Main house: BM AF-310 Subtle flat/matte finish

Laundry room & Bathroom: SW 6219 Rain eggshell finish

Bedroom & Closet: SW 6217 Topsail flat/matte finish

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here