review my plan

newhouse123
11 years ago

deleted

This post was edited by newhouse123 on Thu, Apr 11, 13 at 21:26

Comments (4)

• virgilcarter
    11 years ago

Your photo is small and difficult to read, but the one thing that jumps out with this type of plan arrangement is that the driveway becomes your front yard and landscaping. An "L" shaped plan means either a large "L" shaped drive or a larger rectangular or circular shaped drive in order to back out of the garage and turn the car to leave the property going forward. IOW, with such a plan you are destined to have a very large paved area as your welcoming landscaping. Paving inevitably cracks, picks up stains from cars, etc. It's not a very handsome place over time.

This problem could be solved if it's possible to relocate the garage doors to the right side of the garage.

Good luck with your project.

• zone4newby
    11 years ago

If they move the garage doors to the right of the plan, when will anyone see the front of the house?

I don't like the placement of the bedroom off the kitchen. It would make more sense to me to swap the game room with the bedroom and kids' bath. That would put the public spaces together, and the private spaces comfortably away from them. And no one has to walk through the kitchen to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night (which would be awkward if you had company late, and the kid had changed into pajamas and was older than 8 or so-- my 12 year old might do something desperate to avoid the embarrassment, LOL.)

• virgilcarter
    11 years ago

Zone4newby wrote, "...If they move the garage doors to the right of the plan, when will anyone see the front of the house?..."

It's a good question and actually one that is common to every posting of a floor plan when the site plan and access from the property line to the "front" of the house is not apparent. Comments here would be much more meaningful if posters included the site plan for their house, since the best designed houses always grow out of their site.

In this case, one would have to take into account "how visitors find the front door" in the orientation of their house and the design of the driveway and garage doors. Part of the decision to buy or design/build a house should include analysis of the site conditions and constraints the site places on the design of the house. A wonderful house with a lousy site plan does not a good house make!

By any measure, having a driveway as one's "front door" for all guests, as shown in this plan, is not the best of design solutions.

• momto3kiddos
    11 years ago

I think the is a lot of wasted space in the master bath and closet area. It looks as if all the windows have not been placed either. You need more windows in the master and the back right bedroom and front room (playroom?). I would also want to rearrange and have the powder room off of a hallway instead of in a room.