Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
qbryant

Stairs and windows

qbryant
11 years ago

I'm looking for ideas and prices on stairs and windows,can you buy DIY stair kits?also what about some price ideas on windows,were wanting to build something like this but a little smaller.

Comments (18)

• qbryant
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Modern stairs

• millworkman
    11 years ago

I don't think DIY stair kits are available (never heard of such a thing) or necessarily a wise idea as EVERY set is slightly different (as well as building codes). As far as windows I would suggest the window forum, and before you post there you will need some more detail as far as window material and what you expect of the windows as well as the area of the country your building in.

• annkh_nd
    11 years ago

In the lake home I've been designing in my head for several years, I want to make use of every inch of space (it's a small lot). I want to put drawers under the lower stairs, opening into a hallway, for things like beach towels, blankets, etc. Your photo shows little knobs on the panels, but drawers would give much easier access to the space.

• 293summer
    11 years ago

Might want to put a shout out to Pbx2. She just finished a house that has stairs that looks very much like those. They're gorgeous. I'm sure she could give you some pointers. Check out the April build topic:

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/build/msg0409593222717.html?106

• qbryant
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sorry what I am looking for is the railing that I could do myself,does anybody supply this stuff?

• dekeoboe
    11 years ago

To me, the stair railing doesn't look like anything you could DIY. It looks like it is steel welded together into one piece rather than using steel rods or cable, which can be done DIY. (Can be, but is not easy.) Also, you need to check to see if your local authorities allow horizontal railing. Some don't because children can climb on them.

• 293summer
    11 years ago

Sorry, I actually meant the railing, not stairs. I'm pretty sure I wasn't DIY though. Here's a photo of Pbx2's.

• qbryant
    Original Author
    11 years ago

We're can you get modern steel railing?i can not seem to find any.

• User
    11 years ago

It's not something you buy. It's something you have made. Talk to a metal fabrication shop specializing in architectural decoration or creating things for the restaurant industry. It won't be in the best section of town. And your architect will need to supply shop drawings for them to create it. They have craftsmen, not draftsmen on staff.

• dekeoboe
    11 years ago

Have you tried just Googling Stainless Steel Railing? Lots of images come up. Indital is just one company you can get parts from, but as I mentioned above, you can buy the parts for cable rail or rod systems, not welded systems.

• kitbun
    11 years ago

Take a look at the Arke INOX kit sold online at Home Depot. I am planning to use this in my new home.

On their website it is the one at the bottom of this page:

http://www.arkestairs.com/railing-kits.php

• paulza
    10 years ago

how about these one
    It is solid oak and price per stairs like these with handrail is about ã8000

Here is a link that might be useful:

• LuAnn_in_PA
    10 years ago

LOL! Try getting furniture up those stairs!

• sombreuil_mongrel
    10 years ago

A stair kit is a pile of lumber and a carpenter on the job site.
    Casey

• paulza
    10 years ago

It was done in the workshop and fixed on the side

• LuAnn_in_PA
    10 years ago

Still spam, and not at all functional!

• paulza
    10 years ago

You do not need to like it but I don understand why you call it spam If people who know something about stairs was realy impressed.

• User
    10 years ago

I know the building codes between the two countries are different, but what the heck? Would that pass code anywhere? How horribly unsafe. And ugly. And I say that as someone who likes modern design. And spiral stairs. .

"People who know something about stairs" were probably drying laughing at that atrocity. No thanks to that bit of SPAM. So quit trying to convince us how wonderful it is SPAMMER.