Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vadeem_19

Floor plan review and reccomendations.

vadeem_19
10 years ago

Hi,

We are considering building a single story home on a 1 acre lot. We are in the process of changing things around to come up with something workable, so there is a mix of pencil/computer drawing. We do have a family member who uses a wheelchair, so the hallways are atleast 4ft. Reading a lot of other floor plan reviews, I have gleaned some great information, so decided that maybe I should put up my plan for review. Any input/advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Comments (4)

• okpokesfan
    10 years ago

Just a few things off the top:

If the laundry is only 6'6 deep I think it will be difficult for the person in a wheelchair to use. The W/D will stick out more than 2'. We had one that was 6' deep and it was tight for us without a wheelchair.

Which bedroom/bathroom will the person in a wheelchair be using?

The entry way in between the island and fridge/pantry into the heart of the kitchen looks tight for the wheelchair. I would make those 4'.

Good luck!

• bpath
    10 years ago

Is that a roll-in shower in the lower left bathroom? I wonder if the closet right there might get a little humid? You know how dust in a bathroom turns to mud, would that happen on the clothes?

In the master bath, will you two be bumping bums when at the sinks at the same time?

• vadeem_19
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi,

okpokesfan: the person with the wheelchair will be in the bedroom right above the single car garage. Ya, 6'6'' is kind of tight, so I will have to think more about that, and I will make sure the kitchen walk-through's are atleast 4'. Thanks.

bpathome: Ya I see about those, closets. However, I can't think of another layout that works for that space. That counter in the Masterbath is 7' long, so we should be ok. Thanks for the observation.

• mrspete
    10 years ago

You have allotted a nice amount of space for the kitchen, but I don't think it'll be particularly functional. The island is going to be 6-8' from the main "L", and that's too many steps. I currently have a galley kitchen with the two sides 6' apart, and it's one step too far apart; I'm constantly annoyed.

Still in the kitchen area, I do not like the kitchen table being placed right next to the dining table -- it's always seemed an odd thing to me to be able to see one table from another table. PLUS island seating. Do you really need three different seating areas . . . all within arm's length of one another?

The dining room, too, is constraining. I see that the wall is only a pony wall, but I'd remove it. This will alleviate the problem of that hallway seeming long, and when you have a large gathering, it'll make it possible to add leaves to the table and enlarge it.

LOTS of room devoted to the bedroom hallway.