Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kellylp_gw

Mudroom flooring

kellylp
11 years ago

I'm wondering if anyone has an opinion on hardwood floors in a mudroom. The mudroom has 2 exterior doors and also is an in-between area
To get both upstairs and down. I wanted to do porcelain tile for durability, but DH wants to do hardwood for continuity with the wood stairs and the hallway.
Our hardwood is light coloured rift sawn white oak.

Thanks in advance!

Comments (12)

• Eden-Manor
    11 years ago

We are putting in black slate tile. I am too scared to put hardwood in a room that is going to be a drop point for dirty shoes, wet coats, etc.

• Apolonia3
    11 years ago

Perhaps you could use tile in the mudroom that looks like wood floors.

• annkh_nd
    11 years ago

I wouldn't do it, but I'm paranoid about wood and water. One pair of snowy boots left on the floor would be one too many. I won't put hardwood in a kitchen, bathroom, or laundry room either, for fear of water damage.

I would also worry about scratching hardwood with two doors from the outside. I know how much grit gets tracked into our entry foyer, and am grateful for our tile floor! We also have hardwood stairs going up and down - I don't think it's odd having tile in the entry.

• Mary_Beth Comfort
    11 years ago

We have brick that has been sealed with varnish. I love it!!!! Indestructible and looks amazing!

• ILoveRed
    11 years ago

I would not put wood in a mudroom. Not unless you are child free and dog free.

• Spottythecat
    11 years ago

We are putting in old chicago brick...so, if there is dirt laying around, it will blend in!
    Pam

• kellylp
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the feedback. I neglected to explain the situation fully. The mudroom is also at the end of a long hall. Standing at the other end of the hardwood floor hall, looking into the mudroom, you would see 3 different types of flooring if the mudroom is not wood. Picture a capital letter "I" with the top being limestone, the long line being hardwood and the bottom as porcelain tile...
    Also, I have a small room with an exterior door directly off of the mudroom with a bathroom that I can put durable flooring in...
    Perhaps our 1year old and future kids can be trained to use that room when mucky??? Any further thoughts?

• annkh_nd
    11 years ago

I don't see a problem with different rooms having different flooring. Since the mudroom is a distinct room (not just a wide spot in the hallway), it's OK to have different flooring.

I assume the limestone flooring is in the kitchen? Do the kitchen, hallway, and mudroom all have the same color on the walls? Think of them as separate rooms, with different decorating (including flooring) needs. You obviously didn't extend the limestone into the hallway, or the hardwood to the limestone room, for a reason.

• mrspete
    11 years ago

I don't see a problem with two different floorings, but I think three -- as someone mentioned -- is a little too broken up.

I also vote against tile that looks like wood. I'd either use wood (with its lack of waterproofness) or something entirely different. I do care about the product holding up well, so I'd vote for something entirely different: A slate or tile.

We're going to have a "back hallway", which will serve the following functions:

- casual entrance from the garage
    - entrance to the laundry room
    - entrance to the downstairs bathroom
    - exit out to the covered porch /pool

It's going to be a hardworking space. Because it'll be adjacent to the kitchen, I'm going to use the same tile in the kitchen and this back hallway . . . and it'll run on into the laundry room and bathroom.

• kellylp
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I've given the contractor the go ahead to use porcelain tile. The one we have chosen is in 2' square and looks very close to the limestone. Here's hoping it ends up looking ok! Our property has beach access and I just don't think I'd be able to be relaxed about gritty sand mucking up my beautiful hardwood!

• bevangel_i_h8_h0uzz
    11 years ago

I was just going to suggest picking a tile that looks like the limestone you're using in your kitchen but I see you got there without my advice. LOL!

It's just me and DH and we don't live near a beach. Nevertheless, our mudroom floor is a constant sandy mess just from the dirt we track in from working out in the yard!

With beach front property, you might want to plan on keeping a washable rug down on the floor next to where the hardwood starts to try and capture that last bit of gritty sand before someone heads up the hallway. In fact, I'd get a half dozen washable rugs and plan on swapping them out on a daily basis.

• ILoveRed
    11 years ago

Limestone. I don't suppose we can talk you out of that either can we?

Just kidding.

I think you made a good decision.