Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
broli4000

Shells

broli4000
11 years ago

I'm looking to build a home in South Eastern PA. We have some budgetary concerns so I have looked at modular builds and pretty much every other type of build I can think of and most of the time, the shipping and architect fees are just too high and end up costing more than the material costs of the home.

It is just my wife and myself, so we don't need a ton of room at all. I've found a nice plan online that ends up being 1200 sq/ft which is a little more than I wanted to do, but it fits our needs so well that it works. With that being said, I have some experience in laying floor, hanging sheetrock and putting up cabinets and so on, so we are thinking that having contractors put up the outer shell (foundation, electrical, plumbing rough in, roof and framing - basically get it dried in as I've heard it called). Since we are in a modern enough of a climate, we would be doing a pellet stove and installing that ourselves as part of interior stuff, so that should also cut down on the cost dramatically knowing that there is no duct work or HVAC systems

My issue is that we kinda need to know what we are looking at before we even buy the plans to know if this works for us. Really, I need someone to give me a rough idea of what a shell would cost and if we could keep that under $50k (not including land of course) so we could do our interior work on budget.

How would I go about getting that or is there anyone here that could confirm or deny my rough cost idea for that?

Comments (8)

• User
    11 years ago

What you are proposing to do only works with no bank involvement. A 100% cash build. You could probably do a plain square box shell for 50K if you don't have rock or site issues. But not any of the usual mill plans with a complex shape. And not if you encounter any excavation or pour issues. But, just the site improvement to get to be able to build is more than is 50K unless you can find a lot that already has a septic, well, driveway, and power run to it. Those come at a premium.

• broli4000
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yeah, it would be a complete cash deal, that is why the budget concerns.

Most wells for our area seem to be about 6K, public sewer is there already and it is a flat lot that will only get a concrete slab,so excavation and pouring is minimal. All as easy and low cost as it can get really.

I've seen calculators that estimate the outer shell to be like $46k with doors, windows, siding, etc, but if there is an easier/cheaper way of doing it like SIPS or if someone could confirm on top of that, it would make me feel more comfortable with knowing that it could get done for my budget.

• bus_driver
    11 years ago

Most codes now require the inclusion of central heating. The cost of all the code provisions lock lots of low income people out of home ownership.
    We moved into a self-built shell many years ago and finished it while living there-- lots of others did that also. The money that would have gone for rent bought the materials. Can't do those kinds of self-help things anymore-- the law forbids it.

• broli4000
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yeah, I was concerned about the heating situation, but I figured that since it is SE PA, enough toothless hillbillies have just an old wood stove to keep them warm and as long as it is piped out properly, it is generally fine. But yeah, I wasn't 100% sure about it.

• User
    11 years ago

Also, you cannot move in without a Certificate of Occupancy. There is a minimum level that is required for that. Insulation, finished floors and walls. The required electrical and plumbing. A functioning kitchen and functioning bath.

You would really be better off buying an existing home with all of the above and then renovating it a bit at a time as funds permit. Existing homes are always cheaper per square foot than building new and are easier to get into as there are far more assistance programs to help you become a homeowner than a new home builder.

• broli4000
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm not looking to do an entire house for 50K by any means, the kitchen and inside and everything would be taken care of by myself and I already know that budget. The home will be finished for sure and fairly nice because of our ability with the finish work and some cost cutting that we can find

• robin0919
    11 years ago

For that size house, you might want to look into ICF. Find someone that knows it well and can be a consultant thru the stacking, bracing and pouring the concrete.

• GreenDesigns
    10 years ago

ICF is usually much more expensive than stick built.

If finances are so tight that 50K is all that you can devote to having a shell built, then you need to wait until you save more money. That is much too tight for comfort.

Also, your budget will go much further with an buying existng home than building new. There are programs where you only need $100 down to buy. And then you could spend that 50K making the home into your dream space.