Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lavender_lass

Does anyone else sew?

lavender_lass
11 years ago

Hi! I'm wondering if anyone else like to sew...and if you do, are you planning to have a dedicated sewing room or just a sewing area, in another space?

Also, do you have any pictures? Thanks in advance :)

Comments (9)

• PRO
    Window Accents by Vanessa Downs
    11 years ago

I definitely sew - for a living! LOL I have several rooms in my basement dedicated to my business. I own a custom window treatment design studio. I am posting photos, but this probably won't help you since its more of a commercial set up as opposed to a home set up! I have industrial machines and a huge table and this is my "production room". I have another room that's a dedicated office and fabric sample book room. I also use part of the basement garage for my "wood room". LOL

[IMG]http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL846/454165/549363/400963506.jpg[/IMG]

• auroraborelis
    11 years ago

I don't sew, but have you looked on houzz for inspiration? While looking for both office and laundry room photos I saw some great ways of combining the sewing room with rooms that also have other functions.

• turtleshope
    11 years ago

I sew. We built a small house, so I did not dedicate an area for this. I use the sunroom, which is sometimes a guest bedroom -- if we need it for that I have places to stow my machine and other stuff. Everything goes into plastic storage boxes, a cedar chest, or a closet.

• GreenDesigns
    11 years ago

My sewing room is my guest room. I have a daybed plus trundle that acts as a couch or even a fabric layout zone, and then can sleep one, or pull out and pop up the second bed and create a king sized mattress for two, or a passle of kids.

The sewing table/bedside table is an old enamel topped kitchen table with hairpin legs from the 50's that both sides pull out if I need additional room. I got it for $30 from a local "junktique" store.

{{gwi:1428681}}

The entire closet is fitted out with storage for fabric and stuff, and there's a small chest/TV stand for guests to use as storage. I have an old cedar chest that acts as a coffee table and is also extra storage for bed linens. Everything that's in there serves two or more functions. We don't often have overnight guests, so it works great for the 90% of the time that it's a sewing room. It's even served as the "retreat" for the other half when allergy season created some thunderous evening snoring!

• jimandanne_mi
    11 years ago

We ended up with a large lower level walkout, since we put the master suite on the first floor. So DH has an exercise room down there that I use one wall of for my sewing machine, shelves, & file cabinet. I also have the closet under the stairs (which is in the same room) for my sewing projects.

Anne

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for all the great ideas...and pictures :)

I don't sew all the time, but when I do, it's nice to have a space I can close off, to keep the kitties out of the sewing project. I like Turtleshope's idea of using the sunroom, since I've noticed on darker fabrics, especially, it's nice to have lots of natural light!

Anne- It sounds like a great set up, with the big closet under the stairs.

Green- Love the table! That's wonderful...and perfect for the sewing machine. Also like your idea of everything having more than one purpose...and the 'thunderous snoring retreat' LOL

Turtle- How big is your sunroom? Nice that you have a closet, too.

Laura- Houzz is an excellent idea! I'll see what I can find :)

Downsy- Wow! Great pictures...how neat to have a design studio, in your home!

• energy_rater_la
    11 years ago

I don't sew anymore...but had to comment on
    the enamel top table. My SO has the same table
    @ his house..I'm working on getting it here to
    my place/ love those old tables!

best of luck everyone!

• LuAnn_in_PA
    11 years ago

I sew, but infrequently. So I just used the dining room table for the day or two a project takes.

• MichelleDT
    11 years ago

I quilt and will have a dedicated space. We will have a walk-out basement so it was perfect to include it there with full windows and a door to the lower level patios.

My inspiration room is from athomesewing. She used Ikea furniture and so many great ideas to make it super functional and cheery.

Here is a link that might be useful: At Home Sewing's Quilt Room