Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pugs242_gw

Need ideas on cabinets and counter tops that will stay in style!

pugs242
10 years ago

My husband and I are getting ready to build a new home. We are trying to stay on a budget and upgrade only on certain things for now. I was thinking of laminate counter tops and upgrading later down the road. I would like them to stay in style for at least 10 years. Is there anything you would recommend? We're going to go with white cabinets and wood flooring in the whole house aside from the bathrooms and the laundry, they will be tile.

Comments (8)

• GreenDesigns
    10 years ago

You're chasing your tail. NOTHING is "timeless". The best that you can hope for is to choose items that fit the "bones" of your home. They will look less dated than any other choice for the longest time. For instance, if you are doing a Craftsman, something in quarter sawn oak. If you're doing a French Country style, then something painted, with some color might work.

Stay far away from current popular trends. Even the "timeless" white cabinet with wood floors will scream their age loudly in retrospect in a few years.

• redheadeddaughter
    10 years ago

We are building on a budget as well, and my husband and I are having these same discussions.

Well, GreenDesigns might be right technically. But I have always loved white kitchens... even 30 years ago when I used to go through houses with my parents. They are still my favorite today. The cabinet styles of course have changed over the years, but boy I would pick a house with dated white cabinets over oak and brass every day. So I think you are on the right track with your choices. Wood floors also great. I would go with wood/butcher block countertops over laminate though. Even the Ikea wood countertops. Some work required, but laminate is very limiting when you are cooking, even though I know the choices are far better now. I've lived with both (and marble & granite too) and prefer the butcher block. But that's just me. ;) I'm pulling for a combo of marble and butcher block on our build... the marble is my "splurge" item. Even though it's impractical. Can't wait to see what you choose.

• phoggie
    10 years ago

I too love white or cream cabinets...they always look light and bright. When I was building, my first thought was go use laminate....but my cabinet maker changed my mind...although he would have sold me the laminate. I had picked the high-definition laminate but did not realize that for less than $1000 difference, I was able to get granite...which I love! The cabinet maker said that if it was him, he would spend a little bit more because he felt it would be worth it if I ever had to sell. I think he was right...those counter-tops make the kitchen and I am not sorry I took his advice.

• pugs242
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all so much for you opinions! We are meeting with the cabinet/counter guy in a few weeks! If the price isn't much more I may just go with a stone! Marble would be my dream counter but I know way over my budget right now!

• amykath
    10 years ago

I think if you go with something you have always loved then you did the right thing. Look back through the decades... white has always been in style.

I too have always loved white! Good luck!

• bird_lover6
    10 years ago

White is not always going to be as popular as it is now, but I don't think it is going to look nearly as dated as the golden oak cabinets that were all the rage a couple of decades ago, especially if your cabinets fit the architectural design of your house.

• phoggie
    10 years ago

Pugs...I had marble counters in my last house and hated them! Be prepared to be content with the etching...which I could not stand...finally took them out and put in granite...just my 2 cents.

• pugs242
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all so much! We are going to meet with the cabinet guy tomorrow!