Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Why not Cordless Hammer Drill for home improvement or building

Posted by toolfanp (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 29, 12 at 23:53

I was thinking about buying a cordless hammer drill for home improvement, but only found that it's not sold well in Europe. Seems few people buy it. Any special reasons? I'm really a green bird in home improvement. Any one can give me a suggestion?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Why not Cordless Hammer Drill for home improvement or buildin

it takes a lot of power to power up a hammer drill.
nothing more frustrating than to be in the
middle of the job and batteries go dead.

corded hammer drill may be more difficult to
drag the cord around, but once it is set
up it isn't quitting on you until you stop it.

just my .02

best of luck.

o

It depends on the project. For most home repairs, cordless tools are great. I have a Milwaukee LiOn 18V set of tools, and used them almost exclusively building a barn. With 5 batteries, I find I can pretty much work all day, even if I don't charge them until the end of the day. The Milwaukee batteries have a charge indicator to tell you how much you have left on a charge- good to know before you head up the ladder! The contractors who screwed my metal roof on all used cordless drivers.

The other day, though, I had to drill a number of holes in steel. The cordless drill just couldn't hack it, so I switched over to a 1/2" heavy-duty corded model. As I said, it depends on the project. I probably use my cordless tools 3 times more than the corded ones. I should note that the Milwaukee set is professional level; cheap cordless tools aren't much good except for really minor jobs.

o

The cordless hammer drill has its own advantages and benefits. To make all types of repairs simpler and faster, a cordless hammer drill can be the best weapon in your toolbox for all your home improvement or building needs.

Here is a link that might be useful: Best Cordless Drills

o

All you need most of the time is a drill, no hammer action.

o

Not enough backbone for what a hammer drill is needed for. May I ask why a cordless drill is greener?

o

Makita is greener (lol, in color).

o

I would personally get an impact drill. If you already have that and a regular drill I would then get a hammer drill.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here