Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
broston2

New here..houseplan opinions?

broston2
10 years ago

This is my first post, but I have been learning a lot from this forum! We are building in the fall. I have been working on this plan and am wanting opinions. Our architect has it now, working on it also. This plan is around 2100 sq. ft. We have an optional 1800 sq. ft. plan that puts the front bathroom where the office is (not sure which one we'll go with due to pricing). It isn't labeled but I feel like it's pretty easy to understand. The walled off hallway in the living room is stairs to go down to finished basement. Between the kitchen and garage is a wall of pantry cabinets, closet on opposite wall with bench and cubbies by the garage. I also DO want the laundry area on the opposite site of the house so I don't have to listen to it while I sleep and my dirty boys/husband can put their dirty stuff straight in the laundry room before tracking it through the house! Also had corner fireplace in living area at one point but then deleted it (that's why windows aren't centered). Thanks for any input!

Comments (5)

• Sarah
    10 years ago

You're going to get some great advice here! I wish we had found this site earlier in our housebuilding process - we def would done some things differently if we had gotten REAL advice - not just taken our architect or builders "word for it," which wasn't always in our best interest.

Is the room with no windows the office? And is your cooktop in your island? We considered that but were talked out of it because of venting it and the hood in between the kitchen and the living area. Have you used Houzz.com to see what it will look like? I love having the garage doors on the side of the house instead of the front! Such great curb appeal. For your master bath, I might try to get a separate shower and tub and sacrifice the smaller closet. Thats a feature we really love in our home and you have a very large walk in.
    But I'm def not an expert on this forum! Good luck!!

• DLM2000-GW
    10 years ago

I like it! If you do move the hall bath to the office you'll be able to have plumbing back to back with the master which can make things easier. The only thing missing that would be an issue for me is not having a guest coat closet by the front door. If the front bath moves across the hall then you can widen your entry a bit and gain that closet if that will matter to you.

I would split the lockers on that wall and move the entrance from the kitchen between them. That messes with your L shape kitchen and island but I prefer a C shape with smaller island and that then gives you a bit of separation from your dining area. That's a personal preference for me but maybe not for you.

• broston2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks! Yes there is supposed to be a door into the garage on the side! I do want the stove on the island, since that is where I spend most of my time I don't want to be staring at a wall! We plan on getting a vent around the stove itself and not a hood (don't want to block views/keep open concept). I also don't want to spend money on separate bath/shower since we never ever take baths. I thought having plumbing together would be helpful, but our builder said it doesn't make a difference since all plumbing will be coming in from underneath? A closet by the front door WOULD be helpful, I may take part of that bedroom closet and make a door in the entryway. But we also have massive amounts of closet/coat space by the garage? I don't like split cabinets and I want it open to the dining area. Thanks so much for opinions! It is so helpful to think about things differently! I've been staring at this for months!

• kirkhall
    10 years ago

You have a front door that will be hard to locate--impossible to see unless you are standing directly in front of it.

Reconsider your garage placement, or bring your front door forward and more prominent...

• stephja007
    10 years ago

I would consider shifting the garage 4' or so to the left. It will likely cost a little more since it likely complicate your roof design but that little breathing room by the front door will help. That would give you the opportunity to put a window in the mud bath if you like also (however I would probably switch the laundry with the mud bathroom, I prefer more separation from bathroom and kitchen/eating/entertaining areas.) If you do decide to get rid of the office, I would shift the kids bath to the end of the hall where the master closet is and put the master closet where the office is, I am not a fan of having to cross the room while getting ready in the morning but again that could be me. If you did put the bathroom at the end of the halls, you could just do two walk in closets between the bedrooms and possibly a hall linen closet which would let you pull the rooms up and skinny it up. I would also consider bumping one of the bedrooms out 2', to add some architectural interest (again adds cost though) If you do bump on the rooms out, I would switch it to have 2 single windows instead of a double, I noticed all the windows on the front of the house are double which may seem a little redundant. Good luck! As a side note, I completely understand on debating the square footage, we are also planning a full basement so it is constantly a question of how much is too much? Adding 300 square feet of finished space upstairs adds a total of 600 sf of heated space - always a factor we're thinking about!