Charging for bidding?

mati
10 years ago

:) thanks for answering

This post was edited by mati on Thu, Mar 27, 14 at 16:47

Comments (5)

• User
    10 years ago

It's common for busy in demand guys to charge for putting together a bid for someone that doesn't come from a referral from a trusted source. It weeds out the wheat from the chaff. Given what you've posted here about using a non US architect, who can't possibly supply buildable stamped plans that will satisfy your local code office, or have any clues about local costs, AND having a tight budget, you've placed yourself firmly in the ''dreamer''category rather than as true potential project.

If you want to build, you need to start with a LOCAL architect whom the local builders have worked with befor. Or just buy sometbing existing. That's always the best first choice for someone on a budget. Why should a builder put in 40-60 hours of work on a project that has no chance of being built, from someone who already says the project costs more than they are comfortable spending? Estimates are one thing, and you balked at what you were told for that. Bids are WORK, and no one works for free!

• mati
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for your response.

This post was edited by mati on Thu, Mar 27, 14 at 16:47

• MFatt16
    10 years ago

2 of 6 GC's charged for bids. One of those two gave you a credit if you used him, the other did not. They were not particularly busy but they were choosey about what work they did. The other 4 did a very thorough bid and were more open to our input as owners. I understand why some charge or feel the need to, but it wasn't something I was willing to pay for.

I had used one of the pay-bid guys on a work job and he was no better than the guys that didn't charge. Different business models I guess.

• millworkman
    10 years ago

Your asking two builders to help you redesign and make changes to a home you cannot afford and wonder why they will not do it for free?

• User
    10 years ago

Since you are unfamiliar with the US, perhaps you should take a year or so and window shop so that you become more familiar to what your funds will purchase here. Building usually ends up costing more than purchasing existing, so that may be a better route for you to pursue.