Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dreamingoftheup

Lake house floor plan thoughts

DreamingoftheUP
10 years ago

No firm plans at the moment, but am in the dreaming stage with a potential build in the 5 year time range. I've more or less given up with existing homes after a 4 year search. Requirements are a simple, 3 bedroom year-round house. I'm single and would use one bedroom for an office and the second bedroom for guests. Not large, but nice-sized, easy-to-live-in rooms. If the lot allows, I'd have a walk-out basement; if not, then just a plain basement.

For floor plans, I really like the idea of having the non-bedroom areas of the house all on the lakeside. One drawback is that the house would face north. When I was looking for existing homes, I only found one that I really liked and it was almost identical to the following floor plan. It did not have the clerestory windows which would be nice for added light (I think) since they would face south. Unfortunately, that deal fell through. Floor plan 1

I've also discovered plans similar to the following, with every room on lakeside and only one floor with everything connected by a long hall. Floor plan 2

Thoughts? Pros and cons of the general layout of each? Any better floor plan for a lakeside view?

Comments (6)

• virgilcarter
    10 years ago

Second plan looks like a motel. I think you can do better, but you need to work out your priorities.

Good luck on your project.

• annkh_nd
    10 years ago

Plan 2 looks a lot like the 1972 trailer house on our lake lot.

I love the idea of lots of cross-ventilation by a lake - I love the sound of waves lapping on the shore, and kids playing in the water - I prefer open windows to AC at the lake, unless it's really hot. Putting a bedroom at each end of the house, with bathrooms and a small hallway to provide some separation from the living space, eliminates the bowling alley effect, and allows windows on 2 sides of every room. It's trickier to tack on a garage, which is almost a necessity in the UP (assuming that's where you are).

Our lake lot isn't very big, and I've been pondering potential house plans for years. My preference is 2-story - I know that a lake home has a way of attracting lots of summer guests, so I envision a 2-story with bedrooms upstairs, to accommodate visiting family, and one bedroom on the main floor for our dotage. You get more bang for the buck building up than out. You mentioned walk-out, so you could do the same with lower level space.

• Oaktown
    10 years ago

It's nice to look, but if you don't have your lot yet, hard to say what will maximize your views. The front door of your house would not necessarily need to be directly opposite the lake, would it? So you wouldn't have to limit yourself to those sorts of plans, maybe something like this with the house oriented at an angle?

Here is a link that might be useful: Cottage house plan

• SJ15106
    10 years ago

Building on a lake lot usually comes with a whole additional set of restrictions, at least that was the case with our lake home.

I looked at so many plans before we contacted the builder but none of them would have ended up working for our lot, the views we wanted to highlight, or the building requirements. Between our architect and builder they were able to design a house that was perfect for us and met all the requirements for a lake build. Because of that I wouldn't get your heart too set on a plan until you have a lot in mind and have researched the building restrictions. That said I do know that I also loved looking at plans and dreaming of what could be in the months before we got serious about the project .

We ended up building a two story. Yes - up was definitely cheaper than out. We couldn't have had a bigger footprint anyhow without having to have special variances - and that's with only a 3 bedroom, 2 bath house. We did a unattached garage partly for cost but mainly because it just fit better on the lot.

We also wanted to keep the lake views for the main areas so the master bedroom is on the opposite side and we put it downstairs for aging purposes. It's also much nicer having that buffer between the bedroom and the deck area if there are people staying out later. Upstairs there are two bedrooms and a bath. That gives company their own dedicated space. With 2-zone heat we can always keep the temp lower up there when it's not in use.

We are so happy with our finished product. I can't wait until the day when we can retire and live there permanently. It doesn't get much better for me than to be able to spend a relaxing day at the lake.

• Oaktown
    10 years ago

If you're interested in the narrow houseplans, houzz had an ideabook for you today, and a floorplan like annkh described:

Modern Floor Plan by Mount Desert Architects & Designers Eric Reinholdt

Here is a link that might be useful: [narrow houses[(https://www.houzz.com/magazine/design-workshop-reasons-to-love-narrow-homes-stsetivw-vs~25005423)

• DreamingoftheUP
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you everyone for your responses. While I don't have a lot yet, the area I'm considering as first choice is pretty consistent as to the lot type - similar to the home I mentioned above which I tried to buy but lost out on. Of course, I'm not buying plans; this is only dreaming at this point.

I will be making an appointment with a builder just to discuss starting points as far as regulations, what's involved, etc.

The 'narrow houses' link is pretty interesting. I agree, there is the motel look, but some of them are not that way. And yes, I'm looking in the UP (hence my screen name), so flat roofs would be a no-no.