Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cool site: cost estimator for building a house

Posted by aprilh (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 10, 14 at 22:59

As I was poking around on the internet, I found an interesting website. You punch in the info on your house to be built and it estimates how much it will cost, with breakdowns in all construction areas including variances for area of the country. I just did mine and it was pretty much spot on. Here is the site: http://www.building-cost.net/CornersType.asp

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cool site: cost estimator for building a house

here is the link

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

Ah much better Renovator. I had forgotten to link it. Thanks for doing that!

o

Can anyone comment to the accuracy of these numbers?

These things are nice but I would hate to rely on something that could be way off. Thanks!

o

just did an estimate and we are working budget numbers with our contractor now and it was pretty spot on.

o

I tried this site before we started. As long as you are honest about the finishes class you select it is pretty close.

o

Mine comes out nearly double what I'm paying! Phew!

o

So did mine. Over $500,000 for a 2700 sf, 2-car garage ranch with standard finishes, not even including land? Crazy. No one around here (west central Florida) pays anywhere near that.

o

seems crazy to me! just quoted me 666k for 3000sqft in central IL, uh there aren't ANY houses here even remotely close to that price. $16k just in LABOR to paint! Now I know why we do everything ourselves! geesh

o

About 150k high on the home I just built...labor was WAY high

o

About 40% high for my house.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here