Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gate at end of driveway. Where to buy, and how much?

Posted by Laura12 (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 28, 13 at 22:41

Where did you buy the gates for the end of your driveway, and how much did they cost?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gate at end of driveway. Where to buy, and how much?

What type of gate and what material do you want it made of?

o

And do you want it to open and close automatically or with a remote or keypad or do you want to get out of your car to open and close it?

o

We have a custom wrought iron type gate. About 16 ft wide. Motorized with remote controls and pressure sensor wires under driveway. We are in CA. Total cost was about $20k.

o

I am looking at iron, and I need it to open automatically with a keyp or remote!

Thanks!

o

We bought from a local dealer. I think it was around $15K for a single swing automated gate. Some people buy and build their own and Costco also sells them. I found that the individual dealers could give me a way better product than I could find otherewise so that's why I went that route.

o

Look for a local ornamental metal shop, they will make exactly what you want and do it all the time.

o

I designed our gates and had them made by a local man. He also installed the mechanics, code box, etc. Also opens with remotes. DH ran the power to the gate. We have a generator, but it doesn't run the gate, so we have a solar power back up battery that works if the power stays out for any length of time. Not including the stone columns, our gates, etc were approx. $6K (DH thinks, ticket downstairs). We have two 7ft wide gates, 70" at highest point (center, where they meet).

o

Thanks! Anyone find an good deal on the motorized parts?

This was an "extra" we were planning and completing later, and I have been surprised at the costs! :)

o

Laura, check out Northerntool.com. They have kits. I was rifling through my husband's catalog and saw them. I want this set up too as we will live in a VERY rural area. We've had 3 instances where someone came steal something out of our yard and the existing house.

Here is a link that might be useful: Northern Tool Driveway Gates and Openers

o

Thanks Tiffany, that is exactly what I was looking for! :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here