Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cards89

exterior sheathing

cards89
15 years ago

I am getting ready to build a house in the Louisville, KY area. The exterior of the house will be boral brick pastel coat and true drystacked KY split faced stone. I will have open cell foam sprayed in. I am looking for the best option for exterior sheathing. I am concerned over thermal bridging as well as moisture build up on my sheating with OSB/housewrap applications. I have looked at styrofoam, DOW SIS, and Advantech ZIP as options. Let the opinions flow for my best option to roll with?

Comments (13)

• cs6000
    15 years ago

With the rebate Huber is giving on the Zip Wall, I am going to use it. All the research I've done via internet forums has been positive, alot of it from contractors. Around here, I see the Zip Wall being used on most of the new stuff.
    My main builder says it sounds great to him, quicker and better than the Tyvek route.
    Haven't decided about the Zip Roof system, but we are hiring the roof out, so it will probably be the conventional materials.

• kjboggs
    15 years ago

I used both the zip wall and roof system on my new home, and with the first time user rebates they have, the cost makes it a no brainer. Spend the extra money on additional insulation or air sealing.

• worthy
    15 years ago

Check comments on past thread.

I'm inclined to DOW SIS or XPS backed by OSB on my next personal home. ZIP is not available in my area.

Interestingly, I am seeing in-fill custom builders here and there eschewing housewrap altogether and just using felt under brick. In a Fine Homes article in 2006, Paul Fisette, director of building materials and wood technology at the University of Massachusetts, says he would build his own home that way.

As a small builder, I find carpenters (who apply the housewrap) have only a vague idea about proper application. And no matter what you tell them, you go off-site and they put it on like they've done in their last project--slap dash in bits and pieces and left flapping in the wind.

Unless housewrap is a requirement of the architect/designer, I'll never use it again, except where it is Code required.

• teach2007
    15 years ago

Worthy, so glad to read that. Housewrap was not used on my house, and I have found myself worrying if a mistake was made. Apparently, it is not required here.

• sierraeast
    15 years ago

Good old fashioned 30# saturated felt with the proper flashings/drainage planes have been done for a very long time and has proven to be reliable and one of the "old school" methods that still works today.

On many remodels and repairs of period homes where felt was used as an underlayment, it's remarkable the condition it's in after all them years. Many new techniques have come out to replace and better older methods, but felt as an underlayment isn't one of them, imo.

• sierraeast
    15 years ago

They have bettered it on stucco/lath applications out here by using a double ply felt, but it's still good ol' felt!

• worthy
    15 years ago

Just wanted to add the link with Paul Fisette's counterpoint view on housewraps.

• cards89
    Original Author
    15 years ago

What rebate are you guys referring to? Government or manufacturer?

• robert.modular
    15 years ago

Log Siding?

Here is a link that might be useful: Log siding pictures.

• mightyanvil
    15 years ago

The most important aspects of the design of a wall is the climate, then how the interior spaces will be conditioned, how moisture will be controlled and then consider the structural requirements, cost and compatibility. You can't just start comparing materials; you need to establish the performance criteria for the whole system then select the materials.

• cards89
    Original Author
    15 years ago

mightyanvil
    I will have a geothermal system. I don't really understand your response. What do you mean by performance criteria?

• mightyanvil
    15 years ago

If you are worried about moisture control you need to tell us what the climate is.

• cards89
    Original Author
    15 years ago

climate 4. Ohio valley moderate to cold winter/ hazy/ hot and humid summers. I will most likely use biobased open cell foam. Geothermal HVAC.