Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
boymom23

Worried about the roof pitch - not sure if this is awkward or not

boymom23
11 years ago

We're delighted that our build is finally progressing, but the roof line is looking a bit weird to me. Although we could tell on the rendering that the left side (when look at the photo, the left side) of the house was much lower than the center roof line, now that's it's really being framed, it looks a bit off. I don't know about roof pitch or anything, so I'd love your thoughts. This photo is from yesterday. I'll post another photo from today that shows even more of the roof. (It will be a poor quality photo from up the street, taken on my cell phone. Ignore the bad quality photo -- and the awkward tree that is going to be cut down!) Many thanks!

Comments (23)

• boymom23
    Original Author
    11 years ago

(Sorry for so many typos above!)
    Really concerned about this roof...

This post was edited by southernmum on Mon, Apr 8, 13 at 13:06

• kirkhall
    11 years ago

Is it just a roof, or is there space/rooms under it?

• boymom23
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The main centered section will have an attic beneath the roofline, then all the upstairs bedrooms beneath that. On the very left, that's the master bedroom beneath the roofline, on main floor.

• kirkhall
    11 years ago

While I am not the roof expert, it does seem substantial. I have no idea if anything can be done at this stage to "fix" it. What does your partner say?

• boymom23
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Both my husband and my builder are out of town today. So, it's just me, my camera -- and my stress alone! Worried about this, as we've spent a crazy amount of money on this lot and house. I don't want it to be the "odd" house on the street!

• boymom23
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here is the rendering. We knew it looked a little steep in the drawing, but I think the reality is worse! (sigh)

• chispa
    11 years ago

The only issue I see from the rendering, isn't so much the pitch/height of the roof, but because of the way the porch roof ties into the façade it makes the second story appear squat and squeezed between the two roofs.

• boymom23
    Original Author
    11 years ago

chispa, it's interesting that you say that. I had not noticed it before on the plans, but it does look that way. The funny thing (or not so funny!) is that the house originally didn't have the front porch and we had the architect add it. The upstairs windows were definitely longer upstairs before they added the porch on the front. After you said this I got out the "before" drawing just to check. Oh, I'm having one of those days where I simply hope my house turns out and is not the freak one on the street! :)

• lexmomof3
    11 years ago

At first glance, it looks a bit off but I think the chimney will help balance it. Once everything comes together, I don't think it will look off.

• done_again_2
    11 years ago

I am not an expert but what if you add a dormer to break up the massive roof area. If you have an attic up there it might be a nice thing to have a window unless you have one on another side.

• PRO
    Window Accents by Vanessa Downs
    11 years ago

I think it's gonna be fine! Don't worry - just wait till you have it done, you'll see.

• boymom23
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you guys! You make me feel much better! I appreciate you taking the time to read this and chime in! :)

• renovator8
    11 years ago

I don't see the problem. It's a one story element next to a two story element. What's unusual about it? Why is roof pitch an issue?

• boymom23
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Interestingly enough, the porch roofline was added yesterday, and it's definitely improved the overall look! It sort of breaks up the extreme drop of the two differing rooflines. I'm feeling much better! :)

This post was edited by southernmum on Mon, Apr 8, 13 at 13:04

• brickeyee
    11 years ago

I just think the trapezoidal roof section on the right looks strange.

The slightly squat second floor also looks odd.

It leaves you with widely different heights for the first floor and second floor windows.

Like a one story house that has been 'popped up' oddly.

It is likely to late now to make major changes without a LOT of cost.

This post was edited by brickeyee on Mon, Mar 18, 13 at 12:18

• redheadeddaughter
    11 years ago

I happen to loves houses like this! So many modern new builds have squat rooflines and this is lovely. Especially with all that masonry you have on the elevation (is that still planned?)... I think it will be dreamy.

• boymom23
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks so much, redheadeddaughter! Yes, we just picked out our stone and mortar color, and saw a nice sample of it on the house, so we're ready to go! Can't wait to see it come to life! :)

• ILoveRed
    11 years ago

I can't wait to see the finished product. The elevation drawings are pretty. Aren't you the poster that picked the southern living plan and couldn't locate the original architect?

Anyway, I think it's very nice looking, but this is my style of house.

• bevangel_i_h8_h0uzz
    11 years ago

I think the house will LOOK fine. What concerns me tho is whether you'll have problems with the roof not shedding water properly in the area to the right of the center bumpout (where I've marked with a pink arrow.) It looks like you'll have rain dripping from three sections of roofing (green arrows) and collecting up against the right hand wall of that section...right at the spot where, in your picture, it appears that they still had not finished sheathing the roof.

In your elevation drawing it looks as if the original plan was to have a triangular piece of roofing extend from the back wall forward to a point at the bottom front edge of the bumpout in order to cover this area. (I've painted the roof section I'm talking about pink on a copy of your elevation drawing). That would have solved the potential leak issues but it does make the brick wall sticking up above the pink section of roof look kind of odd.

In the photograph of the house, it looks like changes have been made to the roof design on this side of the house which resulted in removing the triangular piece of roof. That got rid of the odd "brick wall sitting on top of a roof" look but, I'm afraid, the change may have left you with a roof design that will leave you vulnerable to a leak starting where the roof line meets the side wall of your front bumpout.

You're going to have a lot of water coming down in that area, you need to make sure that you have a slope that does not lead water toward the wall.

• kirkhall
    11 years ago

I noticed the same, and assumed that that extra piece will come later. Make sure it DOES come later! It is a very important piece of roof to keep your valley and wall dry!

• oksir83
    11 years ago

I don't think it looks odd at all and I agree that the chimney should further balance it out. Looks fine to me!

• boymom23
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Bevangel - Thank you so much for these very good tips regarding the roof! I'll definitely discuss this with my builder. I appreciate you taking the time to post. Thanks, oskir83! It's so interesting to watch a house take shape! It's definitely an adventure! Oh, and red_lover - yes, we're the ones that went with a modified Southern Living plan even though the architect, Brian Barks, seems to have disappeared off the face of the earth! Definitely taking a leap of faith, but love the timeless appeal of his designs!

• renovator8
    11 years ago

I'm sure the triangular roof element will be added later since that is the usual way roof crickets are built.

The more important issue is the amount of water that will be directed onto the lower porch roof possibly jumping the gutter - a common problem with eclectic designs that attempt to squeeze so many trendy design elements onto one facade.

You won't find these crickets in the architectural styles from which the designer took his inspiration.