Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brosher_gw

Stock plan feedback Wanted (visbeen wescott)

brosher
12 years ago

I've been having fun reading the great info in this forum. I've found a house plan that matches what we looking for in many ways. I'm interested to get some feedback on this layout. We are hoping to make this happen over the summer, but still lots of planning to do!

Mods on the stock plan:

Reverse dining and kitchen, to have kitchen open to great room with a more squared island.

Add a pantry area somewhere.

Delete the rear balcony and covered area for cost savings

Possibly push great room built ins in to office space

We are married couple, two cats and a big dog, kids in the next few years. What do you all think?

http://houseplans.designsdirect.com/home-plan-details.asp?PlanNum=6264

Here is a link that might be useful: House plan Link

Comments (5)

• nini804
    12 years ago

Pretty house! I think it is a good idea to reverse the kitchen and dining room, too. I would be concerned that it only has 3 bedrooms and one is tiny and the fact that the bonus isn't accessible through the house. There really isn't a good playroom for small children and all their "stuff!" You won't want to have to go out there and hike up the stairs to get to the playroom with little ones...although that type of playroom would be great for teens! (Mine are 9 and 12 so I am in-between! :)

• kirkhall
    12 years ago

Those upstairs bedrooms are borderline small.

As the previous person mentioned, your toy room will be your great room. Is that okay with you?

And, actually, I'm not sure I'd reverse the kitchen/dining room...but would need to play with layouts to make that a final determination.

Also, the upstairs hall bath is also too small for a family.

• brosher
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the feedback. I've been playing with the mudroom layout to run the stairs up to bonus room from there. It gets way to cold in upstate ny, not to mention the stairs would be a hassle to clear snow and ice from! We will probably have to give up the small bath currently there.

The study can serve as a fourth bedroom if we ever need it. I would just need to relocate my office to the basement or bonus space. No kids yet so its helpfull to hear from those that have been there. What do you think of pushing the shower into the wic space to make the upstairs bath more family friendly? That would make room for a double vanity.

• brosher
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ok, I really love the bones of this house, but have been working on customizing it. The first floor now has a 4th bedroom for guests and I opened up the kitchen to the great room and added a pantry. I'm not a professional, but these are the layouts we'll take to an architect for feasibility. ;)

{{gwi:1427087}}

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

• Mom23Es
    12 years ago

I think it would need a lot of tweaking. I am NOT a designer so take my opinion with a grain of salt. It would have been a great house for us before we had kids, but now that we have 3 under 3, our needs have changed a ton! Those upstairs bedrooms are small and the bath for those bedrooms is small too. I don't like how the kids would have to walk across the way to get to the bathroom, epsecialy if that railing is a 2 story deal where it could be very exposed to the main floor. I'm not fond of the bonus room set up unless you plan on homeschooling or some other activity that you specifically want separated from other activities. I prefer to have my kids playing nearby (within eye or ear sight). I also think that the office is rather large, and unless you work from home it could be a lot of wasted space. Finally, it's only a 2 car garage? We have learned that we need a garage for each of our cars and then another one soley for the kids' toys. Strollers, wagons, tricycles, bikes, scooters, and various sports equipment takes up a lot of space.