Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
farmhousegirl_gw

What interior doors are you using in your 'new old home'?

farmhousegirl
12 years ago

I can't seem to find what I have on my mind. Just curious what doors will be used to give that old feel in your new old homes. I looked at Pella and Jeld-win, but I don't see what I was thinking existed. Thanks!

Comments (22)

• pps7
    12 years ago

We used a 4 panel recessed door. I wanted 5 panel as its a more classic, DH was set on 4. Trustile is fantastic!

• graya
    12 years ago

Love your doors and your hardware. Did you get them both from Trustile? And how did Trustile compare in cost with the others? I've had a hard time choosing a front door. My house has tons of windows on the front, so I'm not sure if I need a solid wood door to anchor the house or if I should go with one with glass panels.

• palimpsest
    12 years ago

Significantly more expensive than Jeld-wen.

• andi_k
    12 years ago

Oh no, this is such a fresh wound for me!

We were going to go with Trustile doors but then we excavated and it was a painful month of extra expenses (like more than all the cabinetry in my entire house!), and I couldn't justify the doors anymore.

So, just last week, I made the painful decision to go with Masonite 2 panel solid core, and I'm letting go of the 5 panels that I loved. I actually do like the 2 panel square door a lot. It's simple, clean, etc. But I loved loved loved the 5 panel :) But, I just figured I can always change my doors later if it still depresses me...ha!

• pps7
    12 years ago

We loved Trustile, but alas the same thing happened to us- excavation was over budget. Our doors are wood grain. We are happy with them although I did think the Trustile was better quality. Our hardware is emtek.

• westiegirl
    12 years ago

I also wanted a five panel door, but when we priced them out, they were substantially higher than the two panel that we went with. Because alot of our woodwork was stained quartersawn oak, I wanted to stick with oak for the doors as well, but we again saved money by using plain sawn. We actually found the best price by using a midwest home improvement chain, "Menards". We purchased their Mastercraft doors when they were on sale and the 36" wide doors were $110 for unfinished, prehung. Our local lumberyard couldn't come close to this pricing. Because we stained and varnished them ourselves, I was grateful to only be dealing with 2 instead of 5 panels and less nooks and craneys while finishing them! We used the emtek crystal knobs to dress them up a bit. (We are still missing the baseboards, as shown in this picture.)

• ILoveRed
    12 years ago

I love the Tru stile doors. We used the Trustile 2 panel doors in our house 6 yrs ago. Really nice quality.

I love the 4 panel and will probabably use those in our new house.

I could only find one pic and it is my pantry door.

Use long screws with your hinges with these doors, not the ones that come with your hinges. These doors are heavy, especially if they are taller than 6'8"

{{gwi:1427073}}

• buckheadhillbilly
    12 years ago

Oh, the allure of those five panel doors. I blogged about it (link below). We have Trustile also.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Great Door Dilemma

• farmhousegirl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

You guys rock! Thanks so much! Loving the Trustile!! Never heard of it, so thanks so much!!

• dmlinparadise
    12 years ago

We are going with Rogue Valley doors, 3 panel with flat panels and straight sticking. There is a beautiful example of one with fabric panels on the Trustile website that was my inspiration, but they are very expensive. Rogue Valley still pricey(all of our doors are 7 foot) but it was not bust the budget, even after our excavation and foundation nightmares. Doors will be stained to match cabinets with painted jambs and millwork.

• andi_k
    12 years ago

buckhead - that is hysterical! And, I have to say, I feel so much better now. I pouted last week about my 5 to 2 panel change, but I've convinced myself that in the long run, I'll be happier :)

• EngineerChic
    12 years ago

We're putting a new second floor on our old home, and are using 4-panel doors in a 2 -over-2 arrangement, with square sticking. They look simple & relatively timeless to me.

One place we are saving money is the hardware. I love Emtek knobs but can't justify the price (door knobs are something I can change easily down the road, not so much for plumbing fixtures, the doors themselves, and flooring). So we're going with Kwikset in matte black - they feel better than Schlage (less jiggly) and are pretty inexpensive.

My logic is to splurge on items I can't easily replace & for items I can swap out later (in a couple years) I'm choosing things I like so I can afford to LOVE the other things.

• allison0704
    12 years ago

I used two panel square doors, but the top panel is arched. DH and I beat every door, window and trim pieces in our house before they were stained. The framers thought I was nuts.

• kelvance
    12 years ago

I will be using all antique doors for my new "old" farmhouse. I have 5 pine 2 paneled doors from my old home, I have found 6 more from habitat for humanity, only $280 for all 6! Only need to find 6 more!
    oh, and how do you all get pictures to post in your posts and not the link?

Here is a link that might be useful:

• flgargoyle
    12 years ago

I'm going to use a combination of antique, DIY, and inexpensive store bought, depending upon the location. The powder room door, for instance, will be made from tongue and groove pine and cross-bucks- rather primitive and old-fashioned. It will be hung barn door style, using antique sliding door hardware from an old barn. I'm currently shopping antique doors (craigslist, not antique stores LOL), and doors that won't be seen by guests will be generic solid wood doors from a big box store. We're building on the slimmest of shoestrings, so fancy doors aren't on the list.

• PRO
    Window Accents by Vanessa Downs
    12 years ago

Kelvance - awesome find at Habitat!

• kelvance
    12 years ago

thank you downsy I was quite happy myself:)

flgaroyle, I am with you on the slimmest of shoestring budget!! Its sure not easy is it?

• andi_k
    12 years ago

Just when I got over my 5 panel door loss...houzz comes out with this...oh the humanity!

Here is a link that might be useful: [Five-Panel Doors Unlock Style[(https://www.houzz.com/magazine/five-panel-doors-unlock-style-stsetivw-vs~1722500?utm_source=Houzz&utm_campaign=u74&utm_medium=email&utm_content=gallery24)

• ILoveRed
    12 years ago

Loved it. That pocket door was gorgeous. Put it in my idea book. Thanks.

• garyadams281
    11 years ago

Seeing the interior doors that you've installed in your home made me jealous that's why I also uploaded our interior door in our home in New York. It is a MG-4. My interior decorator told me that is good in my has because of its stunning characteristics. I purchased it online at Dooremporium.com

Here is a link that might be useful: Interior Doors

• whallyden
    11 years ago

8' 5-panel with shaker sticking (stile and rail construction) from Koch & Co.