Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ilmbg

Am I responsible for contractor not pulling permit?

ilmbg
10 years ago

Contractor doing job. He said he pulled permit.
He has done some of the work. Remove tree, build storage to garage.
I found out by going in to Code Compliance, that he did NOT pull permit.
CC/permit person said, "do not do anything else until you have the permit".
They will be issuing a fine.
Am I responsible for getting the fine or will he get the fine?
San Antonio, Tx
Thank-you.

Comments (8)

• User
    10 years ago

You own the property, you own the fine. Charge it to the contractor and subtract it from what you owe him. Then fire him. And find someone who will do above board work.

If he's even licensed to work in your town, he may lose that license with the town.

• snoonyb
    10 years ago

"build storage to garage."

If the storage is not conforming arch. and is instead simply for the housing of lawn and yard equip., it may not require a permit.

Is there specific verbiage in the contract addressing to whom the responsibility for the permits, is?

Depending upon the scope of the project, you may be premature.

As a courtesy and before the city issues a stop work order, inform the contractor of your conduct.

• User
    10 years ago

good luck with your project

This post was edited by Renovator8 on Sun, Mar 23, 14 at 9:07

• User
    10 years ago

This post was edited by Renovator8 on Sun, Mar 23, 14 at 9:08

• sundownr
    10 years ago

I know a GC in SA if you are looking. :)

• lazy_gardens
    10 years ago

"Am I responsible for getting the fine or will he get the fine? "

Depends on what the state or county laws and regulations say.

In NM, the contractor is responsible for pulling permits on any work they do that is subject to permit ... not the homeowner. And it's a statewide thing. If my HVAC contractor had not pulled permits, he would have had the fine and a ding on his license. The work would have been inspe3cted and if it passed, it passed.

I would be responsible only for permits on things I did myself that were subject to permits.

• User
    10 years ago

This post was edited by Renovator8 on Sun, Mar 23, 14 at 9:09

• annkh_nd
    10 years ago

I've had work done on my house in North Dakota twice, and I purchased the building permits in both cases. The city simply asked me who was doing the work.

When it was windows and roof, I was told I didn't need an inspection; when I did my kitchen, the electricians arranged for the inspection at a time when they were on site, in case anything had to be fixed.

I have a friend in the permit office, so I usually call her before I hire a contractor. She knows who has a good reputation, and who does great work. I'm lucky to have such a resource!