Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zoeydog_gw

Building soon, please give me suggestions!

zoeydog
10 years ago

Here is our floor plan that we have picked out. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as far as flow of the house. Thanks!

http://www.houseplans.com/plan/2184-square-feet-4-bedrooms-2-5-bathroom-traditional-house-plans-2-garage-12612

Comments (11)

• User
    10 years ago

Ridiculously useless kitchen as designed. All of the angles waste space and the flow and zoning makes no sense. It needs to be squared up to start with, and then completely redesigned. Itwill also be pretty dark as an interior room that can only distantly get natural light. The whole public space in fact will be dark because of the porches blocking that light.

Same with the diagonal hall. It only looks good on a paper overhead. Real life means it wastes space and will be awkward. You can't call this a 4 bedroom house bevause the 4th bedroom has no access to a full bath. The jack and jill needs to go, and be replaced by a hall access bath.

And, I'm not very fond of the gazebo (???) attached to the house. There are already an over abundance of porches on this house.

• bpath
    10 years ago

When you walk in the front door, the view is of the kitchen and a pinch point into the dining room, so not a nice sight line and difficult access to the back porches, stepping around the table and chairs in a narrow dining room. And it's a long way from the front door to the guest closet.

The master bath layout means that someone's bum will be bumped from the person at the other sink, or by the door. And when you step out of the shower...where is your towel?

There doesn't seem to be a lot of general storage?

Is the best view from the Living room and master? But the gazebo seems far from the beer, will you use it for entertaining?

• lmccarly
    10 years ago

The kitchen......UGH! As mentioned already, the layout is awful and it is in the line of sight from the front door. The pantry is unusable as a walk-in, there isn't enough room to turn around. The return to the right of the sink is a waste. The two island set up is a challenge to do right, I'm afraid it would never work in this small of a space.

Bedroom 3, the closet needs to be a reach-in, not a "walk-in". Wouldn't it be nice to have access to the screen porch?

The master bath needs some work too. Who would use that first sink behind the door? Better off straightening the counter out and maybe share a sink.

The layout is not one I would like, but it may work for your family. Tell us more about them. Who will live here? Is there a view? What drew you to this plan?

• live_wire_oak
    10 years ago

Are you firm on choosing this plan? It needs quite a bit of work, not just "tweaking". The important, expensive, portions of the kitchens and baths are pretty bad. I'd suggest looking at additional plans.

• zoeydog
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I should of posted the house plan after I made some changes to it, because a lot of the angles don't make sense to me either. Please ignore the poor job in altering it. I don't have any expensive program to do this. The land is on a hill and has a view to the right, so that is why we like the Great Room and Master bedroom to be there. I would like it to have light so we probably wouldn't do the covered porch on the right side and utilized sun tunnels in the darker spaces like hallway and probably kitchen. Also, we will probably convert it to a three bedroom on the first floor because we will be utilizing space above the garage and also have a walkout basement. I know the stairs are not taken into consideration at all with this house plan. It is hard to find house plans that are around 2,000 square feet and have the view to the right. I agree that the master bath needs to be reconfigured and I would probably get rid of all the awkward angles. I didn't think about the line of site being the kitchen from the front door. I think that we could probably make the Great Room larger and move the Foyer over to the right more? We would also need to add a coat closet right by the Foyer probably to the left. Gazebo has to go! I REALLY appreciate the criticism because I don't to get to far into this without taking everything into consideration.

• zoeydog
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We are a couple in our mid 30's and have one child, but hopefully a few more in the future if this helps! Thanks!

• zoeydog
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Also there are two dorm windows in the Great Room that will provide more light.

• redheadeddaughter
    10 years ago

I actually love all the porches, and they get used in my family. But it can make the interior darker. Gazebos can be fun on the right house...I'd love to see the elevation!

One thing that is a great part of this plan: you get alot for 2000 square feet! Having any kind of walk in pantry at that size is wonderful, I think. If you are going to add any sf though, I'd add it to the kitchen area and try and get it more light, rather than the great room. I personally don't mind walking into a kitchen in a house this size. The only way you could avoid it would be to swap the kitchen area with the great room and have the kitchen at the "front of the house." Depending on your views though, this might not work.

I'm not a fan of angles either, but you lost an entire bedroom when you created a big utility space. I think you may regret getting rid of that bedroom. Partly because you still wish to have more children, and partly because the number of bedrooms can vastly change the appraisal value of your home. I would try and find a way to keep all 3 "bedrooms" and add a small closet to the study so it can function as a bedroom for resale/appraisal or a future nursery for baby #3. Having storage like that in a study is always nice anyway... you can always turn it into a "study nook" desk area. But if you want 2 more kids... there is a possibility that the first 2 won't be the same gender and the 3rd will be young enough it would be difficult to place a crib in the kids bedrooms without causing a major sleep disruption! ;) But that is just my experience. Some kids can sleep through anything. I know lots of families that would give up alot of great luxurious perks all over the house in order to get a 4 bedroom in my area.

As for the "full" bathroom access in the hall. I don't think there is anything wrong with the jack and jill and powder room. Visitors will just have to use the kids shower (which is really what they have to do anyway in the hall). And the powder room provides an extra toliet. Which will be more useful imo.

I really like your new utility space (with windows!), if you can find room for it while keeping all your bedrooms.

• mrspete
    10 years ago

I've gotta say, I'm going with the group: I think you can do better than this. It needs too many fixes.

- The kitchen is just awful. The curved bar will be expensive and serves no real purpose. There isn't space for the tiny island in the middle, and why would you want that little thing anyway? This is one of those "island at any cost" kitchens -- and it doesn't make sense.

- The "gallery" in the master bedroom serves no purpose except to add cost and square footage to the house.

- The master bath is full of angles, which will be expensive to build, yet I think the bath will feel confining when all is said and done. All those doors are going to make it feel closed in. I'm not a fan of over-done bathrooms, but I'd harnass some of that gallery space to make this bathroom more liveable.

- The foyer is large and spacious, but won't give you a place to set a hall table (for guests' keys and purses), nor do you have a coat closet. Also, the sight line when you walk in the front door isn't welcoming: It's the kitchen cabinets and a bit of the dining room.

- The large, meandering front porch is nice, but wouldn't it be more likely to be used at the back of the house?

- The laundry room is a nice size and is well-placed, but I'd make a minor change: I'd put the machines against the outside wall so that the dryer could vent directly outside (not essential, but better). Of course, that means your dryer is venting into your front bushes.

- The hallway to the kids' bedrooms will be long and dark.

Nope, no love for this one. I really think you can find all these features in another plan -- and while you're not likely to find one that's perfect "as is", I think you can find one that's closer than this. Good luck in your search!

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    10 years ago

As much as you think you will live in this house for the rest of your life, you must consider resale appeal. As stated above, that front room that shows bedroom/study is not practical as a bedroom, due to bathroom placement. If that were to be considered a 'guest bedroom' the guest would have to walk a bit in public areas. That is not good.
    Essentially, you have a 2-bedroom home. Is that what you want?