Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wainscoting opinions please!!

Posted by chloe.chloe (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 24, 12 at 21:03

Hello! I am crazy about wainscoting and having grown up in New England, it is quite common in homes there. The home my husband and I are going to build is small (1700 sq/ft) but the downstairs is completely open concept. We have decided on white shaker cabinets for the kitchen with a darker engineered hardwood floor throughout the main level.
I would love to add wainscoting throughout the entire first floor in the family room,kitchen and connecting dining room (seen completely from the entrance way)but I wasn't sure if it is just too much. I was thinking the white wainscoting would make the smaller-size downstairs appear bright and airy?
I would love some feedback on this as I really cannot decide! I'm kinda going for a Pottery Barn kinda feel for our home. Also, another idea I had was that if I did NOT go with the wainscoting in the main living areas, was to do wainscoting in the entry way....but I don't know?
Thank you so much for feedback!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wainscoting opinions please!!

I love wainscoting! I will only be doing it in our formal dining.

o

I love wainscoting! You can never have enough in my opinion. In our house, we did formal trimwork pretty much everywhere from the back to the front hall to the walls of every room. I love it and it gives a very cohesive look. In our FL house, we are slowly adding beadboard to every room. I love that too but it is a much more casual look.

o

While wainscoting can look really great in a large space such as a large formal dining room open to the living room and foyer, it can seem like the wall is chopped in half and make the room "feel" smaller if you put it in a small room with less than 10' ceilings. We had wainscoting in our old home with 8' ceilings and it actually felt a LOT smaller than what it was, even after I painted it white. So we decided to rip it out and paint the whole room a light sage green. The room actually felt a good foot bigger than what it was with the wainscoting.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here