Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Where can I get this front door?

Posted by kfhl (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 25, 12 at 20:56

Hi. I know this is a really simple front door, but I can't seem to find one like it.
I am looking for a 3'X7' door with side lights and a transom - should be 8' total.
It must meet impact requirements for FL code.

Thanks for your help.
DSC02950

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Where can I get this front door?

It reminds me of the front and side doors that we put in this house. Ours is painted, but you could get get it unfinished and stain it. If I remember right, I had a hard time finding this door as well. Finally found it at Kolbe & Kolbe.

Hope this helps.
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

o

Thanks for the information. I will check it out.

o

It might help you to know that the door you pictured is sometimes referred to as a "half-lite" door (because the glass section takes up approximately half of the door) but is also sometimes called a 9-lite door because the glass is divided into 9 sections by grills.

Unfortunately, "9-lite door" is also sometimes used to describe doors with a Prairie-lite pattern regardless of whether the glass is half-lite, 3/4 lite, 2/3rd lite, or full lite. The sidelites you show are usually called 3-lite sidelites but are sometimes also just called half-lite sidelites.

Confusing isn't it? Which of course makes internet searching really difficult!

I did find a place where you can get the door and sidelites you pictured in solid wood but they don't seem to sell transoms. The link is below. Whoever is supplying your windows might be able to supply you with a 5 lite-transom window to go above the doors.

Good luck.

Here is a link that might be useful: door and sidelites

o

Brosco has a door like this in their catalog. The one in the link is pine; they have it in other woods, too. Brosco can be ordered from HD and other suppliers.

Here is a link that might be useful: Brosco 9-light door -- bottom left row

o

bevangel & Chibimimi - Thanks so much for the information and suggestions. I will definitely look them up.
I have also found that I can get a similar look in Pella & Andersen with impact so that will be my fallback.
Thanks!

o

Therma tru or jeld wen?

o

Thanks Kamkar2006 - I did not find what I was looking for with thermatru or jeldwyn, but they did have similar doors.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here