Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pocket doors not smooth. Why?

Posted by babs711 (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 18, 12 at 20:52

I've been out of town for a week. The trim has been started and some interior doors put in. However, most of our pocket doors seem rather stiff when opening and closing them. They're smooth and not bumpy yet require some effort to open and close. Why would this be? How would this be corrected?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pocket doors not smooth. Why?

The door could be dragging on something, or it could be cheap hardware or a heavy door.

o

I talked to the contractor this morning. The doors came in warped. They're waiting on replacements as we speak.

o

"The doors came in warped."

that would do it.

The clearance to the split jamb on the pocket side is usually right around 1/16 inch or so (up to about 1/8 inch occasionally).

It does not take much warping to cause a problem.

o

Personally its this very reason I am going WO pocket doors in our build. I have seen it a couple of times on brand new builds and pocket doors usually get much worse over the ages with abuse "especially with kids".

o

I'm not worried about them after the install. The hardware is good and our contractor is fantastic. Warped doors are solid core and replacements are being shipped now. I've felt his pocket doors in his other houses. They're super smooth and quiet which is why I was perplexed about ours being stiff.

We put them in my exercise room, the master hallway entrance, the master bath, and the wetbar entrance. I'm not worried about kids in those areas. I feel good about them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here