Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What % of extra tile flooring do you typically order?

Posted by threeapples (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 20, 12 at 20:44

Our marble vendor is suggesting 10% extra and my husband thinks this is excessive. Any thoughts? If it helps, this is antiqued marble tile so, if something happens to some of it, it's not something we can just easily purchase at a brick-and-mortar store somewhere. thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What % of extra tile flooring do you typically order?

I've been building and renoing for 30 years and that's my rule of thumb too. Even expert tilelayers make bad cuts, marble shatters the wrong way, some pieces are unattractive, and installed tiles chip and crack. I'd rather have 10 extra pieces than be running around trying to find an impossible to match replacement. When I've really had too much, I've always used them up on other small jobs--as sink tops, for built in bars, cut into accents for other tilework.

o

It depends on the pattern too. 10% is generally a good number, but if you have a pattern that requires a lot of edge cuts where you can't use the left over tile for another piece to fit then you might need more.

o

We are using plank tiles in 2 different lengths and the tile store suggested 15%. I just had to order 18 more boxes of the longer length.

I wish the owners of the first house we owned had kept extra marble tiles. We updated the 15 year old tub faucets and the plumber had to break some of the tiles. I spent hours going to different tile shops and stone yards trying to find marble to match 15 year old tiles. It was a pain. I found something that was close enough, but not perfect.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here