Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Show me your wide plank flooring.

Posted by farmhousegirl (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 3, 12 at 20:43

It's amazing how different floors can look from a sample to a whole room! Anyone have photos of your wide plank? Many thank yous!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Show me your wide plank flooring.

Here are ours . Carlisle Eastern Pine 8-12 inches in the Sturbridge brown Stain/ tung oil.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

During construction:

o

We're doing site-finished (probably Brazilian Walnut) and considering wider plank. Any thoughts on warping?

o

I'm curious about warping too. Our builder suggested anything over 5" needs a bead of glue (which increases installation costs) to prevent excessive movement.

o

Our builder has suggested that all wide plank flooring will warp, has anyone else had feedback on this, or instal suggestions?

o

Your floors are fantastic PPS. Did you have any problems with Carlisle? We were considering them, but I've read some concerning reviews. Thanks for showing!

o

My builder said the same thing about warping! But we are going for it anyway... oak wide plank floors handscraped with a dark finish.

o

I haven't noticed any warping- doesn't mean it's not there, but if it is, it hasn't bothered me at all. In the winter, as the wood shrinks a little, the gaps between the planks get bigger, so be prepared for that. This is probably something only I would notice.

o

See Chapter 3 of the USDA 'Wood Engineering Handbook.'

Glue is not going to prevent warping and wood movement.

All wood moves with moisture content, and there is no practical way of stopping it.
Wider planks are going to have larger gaps during the winter than narrower planks.

Figure 3-3 is especially good at showing how the shape of wood changes depending on its orientation to the trees growth rings.

And not all wide planks warp in objectionable ways.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wood Handbook, Chapter 3

o

Like pps7, we chose Carlisle wide plank floors. We have 8 inch character grade walnut. They are glued and nailed and we have had _no_ issues with cupping. I am very happy with the flooring. Here are some pics:

From Carlisle

From Carlisle

From Carlisle

o

Is warping less of an issue in climates where there isn't a true winter? I live in Northern California and at the most we get frost a few times.

o

We have hand scraped Walnut

our kitchen/ before islands

07-19-2008 Kitchen floors  .. still waiting on islands

foyer and hall

07-19-2008 Foyer Floor

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here