Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Non-Flush transition between hardwood and tile

Posted by nhbaskets (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 20, 14 at 20:12

Stopped by our new house on Tuesday and found that the transition between the hardwood and tile in all areas is not flush. The tile is noticibly (~1/4") lower than the hardwood. Given this is new construction, I assumed it not rocket science for the two surfaces to be flush. I immediately emailed our realtor to point this out and was told that the developers PM would check it out the next day. Last evening I received an email stating that the PM agreed this was not right and both the hardwood flooring company and the tiler would be spoken to and it would be resolved.

Short of tearing up the tile (which had just been grouted on Tuesday), what are the options? My husband thinks if they bevel the hardwood, that might work. What I don't want is a threshold between the two.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Non-Flush transition between hardwood and tile

You can probably find a solution here:

http://www.bing.com/search?q=transition+between+the+hardwood+and+tile&go=&qs=bs&form=QBLH

o

That is an expensive PIA upgrade that has to be done atthe DESIGN phase with all floring materials selected in advance so the architect can specify the different subfloor heights. At this stage, you're going to have transitions. It's too late for anything else.

o

They could have done a mortar bed below the tile to build it up to the hardwood height. If over a basement, then the floor should have been designed to account for this weight.

We ripped out thick ugly Saltillo tile and put in a much thinner porcelain. The tile guys had no problem doing a mortar base and perfectly leveling to match the hardwood floor. It is NOT rocket science, really! Inexcusable in a new house.

o

Our last house had a smooth transition between tile and hardwood. It was built with the flooring in mind. I'm not sure how they did it but it looked great. Our current house has had the flooring redone in rooms by the previous owners. There's a noticeable transition between the tile and hardwood. I can't wait for it to be replaced with all hardwood. It seems inexcusable in a brand new house. Hopefully something can be done.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here