Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Front door color?

Posted by graceshan (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 14, 12 at 20:03

Well I'm just torn about what color to paint the front door. Our house style is "coastal craftsman" with boothbay blue siding and white trim. The front door is 8' tall with 2 skinny sidelights. Wasn't too excited about it but it made sense to match the window height and spacing requirements. I was originally thinking of painting the sidelights white and the door a pretty color. Any ideas?? I could use some input! Here are some pics:

It was pretty gray and raining when I took the pic but here's the same color scheme on someone else's house:

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Front door color?

First of all, your home is gorgeous and it had already reminded me of the home you posted at the bottom. Is that close to you? I found the remodelers blog a long time back and then saw it featured in BHG. I love the green they used on their door and I think the right green would look beautiful with your siding and white trim!

o

I'm not sure where the cottage is but we are up in Edmonds (coastal town just north of Seattle). I love that cottage too and it helped me solidify our house color choice months ago. I was googling the color when I came across the blog. And then I saw it in BHG too. I was sitting on my couch reading it and couldn't believe it. Yes, I too love the green door and that's really my first choice. But I didn't want to miss out on other colors that might look good too. I thought I might be loving it so much because the little blue cottage has it, but I guess that's fine too :)

o

I just have to say that I was hoping to get more shots of Harry..ha! He's such a cutie patootie!

Have you thought about just staining the door? Maybe someting similar to this....

Here is a link that might be useful: House on houzz....

o

I was going to suggest stain as well! Stained doors are very popular in our neck of the woods...ours is mahogany, with a dark stain. There are quite a few Nantucket style homes in my neighborhood, some with painted shingles like yours, and they all have stained doors. Your house is lovely!

o

Very nice. Stained as well.

o

If you don't stain the door, and decide to go with painting it, I'd choose red for a pop of color. In the top picture posted, the side panels almost appear red (probably just temp covering), but see how nice that red looks.

I'm in L.A. and a lot of people in the trendier neighborhoods paint their doors red.

o

Beautiful house! I vote for stained.

o
RE: Front door color? & Pics of HARRY :)

Thanks everyone! You know... stained never crossed my mind. I think it's because my husband really wants a colored door! Pics of Harry you say -- here you go!! Don't have to ask me twice :)

o

He is a doll! I have seen red doors, chartreuse green doors and yellow doors on gray houses and they all look great. It depends on the look you are going for and how daring you are :) Not everyone is brave enough for a chartreuse door!

o

oh, he is so yummy!! :)

I like the idea of a red door too, but it's gotta be the right red. And, I do like the one on the pic you have above also

o

He is beautiful. That 2nd picture made my heart go pitter patter. My first grandchild coming in oct.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here