Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
xc60

Fireplace wall switches needed?

xc60
10 years ago

We are in the process of having a home built with a very unorganized builder, "one" of our latest issues is we (my husband and I) discovered that the wall switches for the gas fireplace and fireplace fan are missing on the wall and mentioned it to our builder months ago. We have repeatly reminded them of this issue and they did not investigate or do anything about it till now and we are almost finished the build. On the fireplace wall there are also built-in bookcases and the basement is developed. There are remote controls to turn on the fireplace that you can purchase, are the wall switches necessary?

They think the receptacle boxes might be in the wall but are unsure and think maybe that the wires might not be fed to the swich boxes and have asked if I would mind putting the switches on the back fireplace wall or on the sides of the fireplace bumpout upper walls. I am not into these options as I have large art prints going on the wall above the bookcases. I would perfer them to put the switches in the location as agreed upon on the blueprint or fingers crossed maybe just using a remote if possible. Any help or suggestions would be great and appreciated.

Comments (9)

• _sophiewheeler
    10 years ago

Switches are used to give power to the modules. If they didn't wire for them, then there's probably no power or the fireplace at all. Thus no remote can work.

Your builder just need to get his elecrician back in there to do what was shown on the plans. His problem and is dime.

• jdez
    10 years ago

Make him do it the way you wanted it done to begin with. His electrician should have had it on his plans too. Then have them rebuild the built-in bookcase and repaint. Otherwise, you will always wish you had made them fix it. And make sure they cover those floors before they touch anything.

• xc60
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you both, I was kind of figuring that would be the case. We will insist they put the switches in the proper location. Their problem for not having proper site supervision and finding this problem before drywall.

Very frustrating, as we have had a ton of mistakes due to the error of the construction GM not following our custom specs and upgrades, or material choices made before framing even started. He just lets the trades do the normal routine and does not pass on any information to them before they start. Does not make sure things are done properly before moving to the next building step, never notices. This is not a cheap build either. When we voice our concerns about any of the issues "we" discover they try to assure us it will be done right and they already know of all the problems. Yeah, right. :( Then why are they not fixed or prevented in the first place? Oh well, moving on to the home stretch. Did I tell you they excavated the beginning of last May? This has been a very long frustrating build, this builder was also highly recommended by two of our close friends. Thanks for the vent. Ahhhhhh, feel much better.

• autumn.4
    10 years ago

xc60-are you sure they aren't there in the wall? We had some run for ours and the electrician said that's the last thing they do after you get it mostly finished is then put the boxes in right where you want them - so the wire is in the wall and they wait until we have the mantle up, etc to complete the job. Just a thought?

• xc60
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Autumn, thank you very much. That's normally how's it's done and what our builder thought and why it was left for so long, but whomever was supposed to run the wires forgot to run them to the wall after fireplace was installed. The electrician came out yesterday and confirmed that. :( His first option was to put the switches on the side of the fireplace bumpout. We said no way and that we wanted them in the proper location. He spent sometime looking around and thought he might be able to fish the wires through the wall by accessing the vent in our master bath toilet room above and by cutting a hole in the floor in master closet floor. We haven't gone to the house today to see how it turned out, fingers crossed.

He was also amazed our house was not finished as he was doing the original electrical in our house last June.

• schreibdave
    10 years ago

We have two gas fireplaces. One is controlled by a switch on the wall. The other is controlled by a remote control. The remote works fine. I think it depends how important the wall switch is. I would be concerned about them running wires and installing boxes once the sheetrock is all up. They can do their best, but if you are particular (I am) you may be able to tell that it was done after the fact. I wouldnt want them fishing cable through HVAC vents or rebuiding cabinetry. Given your options now, I would prefer the remote control.

• worthy
    10 years ago

I wouldn't want them fishing cable through HVAC vents...

Unless, in compliance with Code, it is cable specifically approved for that purpose.

That definitely does not include Romex cable--covered in plastic--that is the standard in most homes.

Romex cable.

This post was edited by worthy on Sat, Mar 15, 14 at 19:37

• xc60
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We went today and they were able to temporarily push the heat vent in the master ensuiite just a bit over and underneath it see the area above the fireplace down below, no cables went in the vents. They were able to get the wires in the correct location, yay! Just a couple of patches on the drywall to fix.

Thank you everyone. :)

• schreibdave
    10 years ago

I am glad that you are happy. Keep an eye on that sheetrock repair because depending what/where it is that repair could stand out against the original work. Even if they are meticulous with it.