Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
illinigirl_gw

I need honest opinions please

illinigirl
10 years ago

I followed all the website advice when purchasing my weathervane as far as sizing goes. Yet I am a little nervous that it is just too big! It's much bigger than I expected. FWIW the usual rule of thumb is to choose a weathervane that is about the same width as your cupola, plus or minus 6". My cupola is 36" at it's narrowest (the body), 46" at the base of the roof, and 40" at the bottom base trim (which hasn't been installed yet).

My weathervane is 37" wide and 32" tall, not counting the extra height from the rods. So please tell me if I should downsize.

Click on the photos to enlarge (may take a couple clicks to get full enlargement)

[img]

[/img]

angle from other side of house (entering neighborhood)
[img]

[/img]

from front of house
[img]

[/img]

Comments (10)

• renovator8
    10 years ago

It's perfect. You'll think it's too small when it turns dark.

• nostalgicfarm
    10 years ago

Perfect size! I love cupolas and weathervanes :)

• xc60
    10 years ago

Now that is some cool looking eye candy! Perfect, for your beautiful home.

• lolauren
    10 years ago

It looks beautiful. Stop second guessing yourself. :)

• Naf_Naf
    10 years ago

Beautiful!

• illinigirl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone! wow, I'm certainly glad I don't have to take it down, return it, buy a new one, and have it re-installed. Big relief. We've been looking at this house so long without the weathervane perhaps it is just going to take some time to adjust to the bling factor of being the only thing that looks 'finished' about the house right now.

It should be already starting to patina as we speak. I expect by move in it will already be pretty brown.

Thanks again for the input and nice compliments! Loloauren, I was totally second guessing myself! I will try to stop. ;)

• Chadoe3
    10 years ago

I think it's perfect! Love it!

• xc60
    10 years ago

I had writen a long post in the March building thread and lost it, but I had posted to you about how breathtaking your home and property is. Wow!!!!! I can't wait to see photos in the spring when the leaves come and your exterior is finished, it's going to be so pretty. Enjoy ! :)

• illinigirl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thanks XC!

• maggiepie11
    10 years ago

I call BS girl!!!!! you know that rooster is perfect and you just wanted an opportunity to show off pretty pictures of your eye candy house which i'll gladly indulge! :)