Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I need honest opinions please

Posted by illinigirl (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 9, 14 at 19:38

I followed all the website advice when purchasing my weathervane as far as sizing goes. Yet I am a little nervous that it is just too big! It's much bigger than I expected. FWIW the usual rule of thumb is to choose a weathervane that is about the same width as your cupola, plus or minus 6". My cupola is 36" at it's narrowest (the body), 46" at the base of the roof, and 40" at the bottom base trim (which hasn't been installed yet).

My weathervane is 37" wide and 32" tall, not counting the extra height from the rods. So please tell me if I should downsize.

Click on the photos to enlarge (may take a couple clicks to get full enlargement)

[img] photo IMG_53441.jpg[/img]

angle from other side of house (entering neighborhood)
[img] photo IMG_53531.jpg[/img]

from front of house
[img] photo IMG_53481.jpg[/img]

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I need honest opinions please

It's perfect. You'll think it's too small when it turns dark.

o

Perfect size! I love cupolas and weathervanes :)

o

Now that is some cool looking eye candy! Perfect, for your beautiful home.

o

It looks beautiful. Stop second guessing yourself. :)

o

Beautiful!

o

Thanks everyone! wow, I'm certainly glad I don't have to take it down, return it, buy a new one, and have it re-installed. Big relief. We've been looking at this house so long without the weathervane perhaps it is just going to take some time to adjust to the bling factor of being the only thing that looks 'finished' about the house right now.

It should be already starting to patina as we speak. I expect by move in it will already be pretty brown.

Thanks again for the input and nice compliments! Loloauren, I was totally second guessing myself! I will try to stop. ;)

o

I think it's perfect! Love it!

o

I had writen a long post in the March building thread and lost it, but I had posted to you about how breathtaking your home and property is. Wow!!!!! I can't wait to see photos in the spring when the leaves come and your exterior is finished, it's going to be so pretty. Enjoy ! :)

o

thanks XC!

o

I call BS girl!!!!! you know that rooster is perfect and you just wanted an opportunity to show off pretty pictures of your eye candy house which i'll gladly indulge! :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here