Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
illinigirl_gw

lantern light for foyer with 9 foot ceiling?

illinigirl
10 years ago

I have fallen in love with the lantern style lighting for our foyer- BUT we only have 9 foot ceilings there. I found one I really like that is 22" high without the plate. Is that too tall? It would be hanging without any chain at that point. Is that ridiculous to have it hanging directly from the ceiling with only one loop?

Here is another one that is only 17" high so that would definitely work.

[Traditional Chandeliers[(https://www.houzz.com/products/traditional-chandeliers-prbr1-br~t_607~s_2107) by San Francisco Furniture & Accessories Pottery Barn

Is it preferable to go shorter and have some chain, or to go a bit bigger with no chain?

My foyer is 8 foot wide, with a 10 foot wall on one side, and a 6 foot wall on the other side.

Comments (24)

• deeinohio
    10 years ago

Very pretty.

This post was edited by deeinohio on Sun, Mar 23, 14 at 20:13

• xc60
    10 years ago

And the same 14" lights in our hallway:

• illinigirl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thanks xc....

my lighting designer told me to aim for 17.....I think that's probably right. I will have to find something in the 14-17 range. Yours looks very good and to scale in the space.

• xc60
    10 years ago

I love the light you posted above, it's very pretty and at 17" you would still have some length for the chain.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

You really need to have some chain showing and you need a shorter lantern. However, keep in mind the size of the room...if the lantern gets too small then it will look out of scale diameter wise.

I have a 9' ceiling in my foyer and I wanted to go with a pretty hanging fixture, but given the size of the room and the height of the ceiling, I ended up with an alabaster one that hangs close to the ceiling but fills the space.

The last thing you want is for guests to feel like they have to duck to get into your home.

• illinigirl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My lighting designer said that we need to aim for the fixture (plus chain plus plate) to hang no lower than 7 feet from the floor- does this mesh with what you all are doing? What kind of diameter do you think I should aim for? Lanterns with the height of 15-17" seem to be no more than 12" in diameter- is that sufficient?

• maggiepie11
    10 years ago

if you're working with a lighting designer, then you've probably considered this as well, but don't forget about door swing!

i have an 11' ceiling height in the foyer, but that doesn't help because we have a 4' wide and 8' tall front door and the foyer isn't very deep so we had to keep ours short enough so the door doesn't hit it when open. :)

• ILoveRed
    10 years ago

I love the lantern style lighting and I particularly love the fixture you posted. Would you consider using fixtures like this above your island which will allow a length of chain?

I agree that you need a length of chain for this fixture to look its best. I would keep looking for the foyer. Probably a semi-flush mount for your 9 ft ceiling.

Your home is really coming along beautifully.

• illinigirl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the input everyone.

RedLover- I have already purchased my island pendants and I love them.......I do have plans for a similar (even larger) lantern pendant in a rear staircase that has a much higher ceiling. It is going to look beautiful.....but it is a much more private area of the home. We will see it as we come and go daily into and out of the garage entrance, but we won't see it from our living areas like we will see the foyer light.

So even at 17" tall, with say, 5-6" of chain showing, is not right for our 9 foot ceiling? Just want to make sure before we give up on it.

• ILoveRed
    10 years ago

With a 9 ft ceiling, I would not. Too long. For perspective..here is a shot of part of my hallway with a semi-flush mount in a 9 ft ceiling that is at most 12" total from ceiling to bottom of fixture. I think that was pushing it in size of fixture. It's almost too long, IMHO.

I know it's ugly...the house is 10 yrs old...my taste have changed :-)

• ILoveRed
    10 years ago

Illinigirl---what about this one. It's a semi flush mount. It has the look you want and it's 16.5" long, 13" wide....so it has enough heft for a foyer. Maybe a tiny bit long but I think it would work.

It's one of my favorites and I have it pinned although it's a bit pricey.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link

• illinigirl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thanks Redlover! I love visual comfort! That may work!

• illinigirl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I am going to look now at semi-flushmounts that give a lantern vibe without being a lantern per say. like this:

Here is a link that might be useful: semi flush mount

• illinigirl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

the other thing I'm wondering is if I can bring the lantern style to the dining area? Right now I'm planning a drum style there, but I could easily swap them- drum style semi-flushmount in foyer, lantern style for dining.......

• three3apples
    10 years ago

Have you tried the Visual Comfort Merchant semi-flush bell jar lantern?

• illinigirl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I looked at that bell lantern- but it's the same height as the other lantern I like, and it also needs to hang down a few inches. I feel like if I can pull off the bell jar lantern, than I could do the other lantern as well. No?

• Naf_Naf
    10 years ago

Just wanted to say that I was curious and went to my 9' H. foyer, and my light fixtures (I have 2 in the foyer) measure 27" including the chain and plate. The chain is only like 5".
    It looks ok!

• ILoveRed
    10 years ago

Illini girl...if Naf Naf thinks it will work then I bet will work. So if you want the Lantern in your foyer, then don't rule it out quite yet.

What if you get the one you like and have it installed. If you don't like the way it looks, then have it moved to another location like the dining room. Is that an option?

• illinigirl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

red lover,
    thanks! I am totally open to putting a lantern in the dining room, BUT there is only one spot for a fixture there, and we cannot add a second fixture at this point- drywalling/mudding is already done. I am unclear about the rules for how big a dining fixture must be. My lighting designer said we should aim for 22" wide- and no lantern is going to be that wide without being way too tall for that space. My dining area is around 15 feet wide and open to the kitchen so no exact border in the other direction . The current dining table is 6 feet by 3.5 (although we may look for a larger one in the future).

That said, I do see some pics on houzz here and there of a single lantern over a dining table, but usually it's a smaller size dining table, OR there are multiple lanterns over a single larger size dining table. So I'm not sure I could pull it off is what I'm saying. I'd love to though.

• Paige Adams
    8 years ago

I know this is an old thread, but my lighting designer is recommending this 24.5." lantern in our 9-foot main hallway with barrel ceiling. I'm a bit concerned about the size, but she says that she recommends up to 25" for a 9 foot ceiling. I'm encouraged by Naf_Naf's comments. Thoughts?

• crfowler48
    7 years ago

Well, talk about "old" thread.......looking for light for slanted ceiling. Where did this one come from?

• cpartist
    7 years ago

I love that light fixture. Where is it from?

• crfowler48
    7 years ago

Hope it has not been discontinued!