Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
njbuilding143

Staircase preference? Looking at plan "half landing" stairs...

njbuilding143
10 years ago

So we were again looking at floor plans and really found a nice plan that we like.. I modified it a bit and we really like the way it came out.. I was looking it over with family members and someone mentioned how the staircase is going to be a nightmare to get furniture in and out of.. I started thinking about it and it did make me wonder.. we plan on having a king bed in the master and was curious if others have gone with a similar staircase and what their experience was.. Below is a picture of the floorplan and also another photo of what it would look like.. Any opinions?

Comments (12)

• njbuilding143
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is a photo of what the stairs would look like.. Not sure how tall the ceilings are in the photo but we plan on doing 9 foot on first floor..

• virgilcarter
    10 years ago

Why don't you just enlarge the landing for the stair, so that it's possible to move large objects up and down the stairs? If you're designing the home from scratch it's easily done.

Otherwise get a "barn hoist" on the exterior and lift large objects through a second story window.

Alternatively, if neither works, design a new plan, since objects do have to get to/from the second floor.

Good luck on your project.

• njbuilding143
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Virgil... Thanks for the input.. I understand that we can alter the plan and technically could have any staircase design we want.. But we do like the way the stairs look.. Just wanted to get opinions from those who have a simialr setup and see what kind of issues, if any, they had when moving in/out...

• kirkhall
    10 years ago

It is has open railing like the picture above, it "should" go. Honestly, a King bed is easier sometimes than a queen, because king's have split box springs (and the mattress--it will bend).

• kirkhall
    10 years ago

(in other news--read up on the kitchen forum... I would not build that kitchen as pictured with the optional island (a "barrier island")).

• pwanna1
    10 years ago

we had similar stairs in our old house...no problem getting things upstairs (king bed/large entertainment center) but our top was open...it wasn't just a stairwell wide...not sure if that made a difference. What does the second floor look like (what does it open up into)?

• User
    10 years ago

That staircase forces the whole home into awkward angles in odd locations. It wastes space, costs extra, and really only looks good on paper. They would be a much better focal point straight on from the foyer. And that would allow you to recover some of the space wasting angles..

• Awnmyown
    10 years ago

As my dad always said, just buy ikea furniture so you can bring it upstairs in pieces...

;)

• ineffablespace
    10 years ago

We have three flights of dog-leg stairs and a number of pieces were difficult to get up because of the size of the landing and the ceiling height.

The second to third floor is no problem because there is no stair above and a high ceiling. The first floor and basement both present problems. Some things that are eventually slated to go to the third floor (which is going to be a living room) will have to be hoisted from the outside. A longer than 7 sofa won't go, a long dresser won't go, a very long but narrow table won't go.

We also have no intervening railing between switchbacks. With the railing between there is another obstruction.

Our stairs are narrower than most modern stairs and the ceiling height is right at 8 on the first floor and 7'6" in the basement. With higher ceilings there would be more flexibility.

If you are going to do this you should probably have one largish French casement window upstairs to bring in anything too large.

• pps7
    10 years ago

We have U shaped stairs. The stairs are 4' wide and we have a full landing, not cut off like yours. I would make the landing bigger. Also, how wide are your halls? I would make sure you have at least 4' between the stairs and mudroom wall. You will need space to maneuver. Also, this is something I regret and maybe that will be helpful to you. We also have internal stairs like yours and I hate that there is no natural light. At some point we are going to add a solatube in the strairs.

Do you really want guests to go through your mudroom to get to the powder room?

• njbuilding143
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for all the info that all of you have provided.. Really appreciate the input.. I know some have mentioned ceiling heights and if upstairs is open and the answer is yes.. Our plan is for 9ft ceilings on the first floor and 8ft ceilings on the second floor.. Basement at this time will be unfinished but building with the intention fo having full 8ft ceilings once finished.. So when you walk up the stairs the ceiling from the first floor will open up to the top floor.. Below is another pic.. But I do see where some of you say about the landing space.. we do plan on having a large window upstairs but would prefer to get everything to fit through the stairs.. Will have to talk to the architect and see what he thinks..

• njbuilding143
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Also PPS7 - We thought for a long time about powder room placement when it came to the house plans.. We saw many ideas on where people put them but for the most part the options we were seeing was to either A) put it in the foyer area of the home, B) put it off the kitchen, or C) put it off the dining room.. After giving it some thought we really didnt like the idea of putting the powder room off of any of the eating areas.. We also didnt like the idea of putting it in the foyer.. The idea of walking into a home and bam there is the bathroom.. Again its personal preference but we just like the idea of having it more tucked away.. We were actually goign to not even have a mudroom but personally I hated the idea of walking directly into a main room of the home, whether it be the foyer, living room, kitchen, etc.. I like the separate entrance.. And honeslty the most I see being stored in that room is coats and shoes.. However we were thinking of reworking this area as we would like a side entrance into the home.. We were thinking of moving the mudroom to where the powder room is and then putting the powder room where the entry door from the garage is located and doing a powder room that is narrower so that when you open the door you have toilet on left and sink on right.. But again we do like the current setup.. Here is what it would look like: