Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
homeimprovementdiva_gw

Laundry Room Layout

Posted this in Laundry Room thread but no lookers I thought I'd try here. Our house will have a laundry room that is 12'5 x 9'5. One 12'5 wall will have double window facing front yard. The back 12'5 wall will have door or doorway into room. No exact location yet so I can play around with that. I would like to put 1/2 bath in there but can't come up with a layout. The room will be used for laundry and also crafts so I would like to have counter top area and possibly small island for folding clothes or doing crafts. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (10)

• Ron Natalie
    15 years ago

Swap the Washer and Dryer. The front loaders all have washer doors that open to the LEFT only. I caught the rough ins on this being backwards early on in my house (G*#$@!#$%& architectural engineers don't have a lick of sense, I had drawn it right on the floor plans).

The rest doesn't look too bad. I don't know what you are using for upper cabinets (if any), but I'd leave a spot for a rod for temporary staging of your hanging laundry.

• lyfia
    15 years ago

Here is another option. Not nearly as much space for a desk, but gives you a good size powder room.

W/D assumes a counter over them to use for folding.

{{gwi:1425743}}

• homeimprovementdiva
    Original Author
    15 years ago

thanks! two great options, I appreciate it. I'm fine with pocket doors and not sure if I'll have a door going into laundry room but probably incase it's a bad laundry day and it piles up. :0)

• homeimprovementdiva
    Original Author
    15 years ago

the half bath we have now is 3x7 so that's plenty of room. I think I might take your layout bevangel b/c I like the bath on that wall and just switch the door opening to opposite side. there will be a hallway on other side that's in between laundry and mudroom and leads to garage. this way people don't have to walk into laundry room to get to bathroom since this is only bath on 1st floor and it will be off the kitchen. I didn't want to take up space in main living area and we want to put in a pool eventually and this way wet kids don't have to go thru the house to get to bathroom (there will be a door from outside in mudroom which is across the hall). I also like on both plans that the w/d area is kind of hidden so if there's some laundry on floor and you walk by room you won't see.

• bevangel_i_h8_h0uzz
    15 years ago

Good catch about the washer door Ronnatlie! I put the dryer against the exterior wall to make it easier to vent. But since homeimprovementdiva hasn't settled yet on the exact position of the door into the laundry, an easy solution is to just mirror image the whole plan which will the dryer against the outside wall but put the washer to the left of the dryer as it needs to be.

Also, if you move the bathroom door to the other wall, then one of the two doors can no longer be a pocket door b/c they would interfere with each other. You could have doors that open into the hallway but that is not usually a good idea as the hallway is blocked whenever someone leave a door standing open. I would probably keep the bathroom door as a pocket door b/c there is so little room for it to swing into the bathroom and use a regular door on the laundry room.

Also, if you move the bathroom door so it opens into the hallway instead of into the laundry room, you could mount a hanging rod on the wall where the bathroom door used to be. Just make sure you mount it high enough that all the hardware is well over your head so you can't walk into it. When clothes are hung on it, they'll hang down far enough that you see them and don't walk into them.

There is loads of room for upper cabinet storage. And, you can easily put in at least 3 feet of lower cabinet storage next to the laundry room door while still keeping the entire corner portion of the counter open underneath so it is comfortable to sit at while doing crafts.

Anyway, here is an updated sketch showing the mirror imaged flip and the new doors.

• megradek
    15 years ago

you could also consider energy efficient toploading W/D. I got the Fisher Paykels and love the lack of bending over and no mold worries.

• homeimprovementdiva
    Original Author
    15 years ago

thanks everyone.

• swampwiz
    15 years ago

I like the one posted Wed, Mar 18, 09 at 9:15. It's very elegant.

• Jessica O'Connor
    6 years ago
    Wondering what the outcome of this design is. Do you have any photos or drawing of the actual finale decision? Is there anything you would tweak? We have a similar size area we are trying to rearrange & get the best amount of useable space. Thanks!!