Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pirwin21_gw

Andersen windows... Worthwhile deal?

pirwin21
10 years ago

Hello all. We are planning a build for next summer and have begun to look for building materials. We like the Andersen 400's but have come across a pretty good deal on some cancelled special orders from a local builder. They are 200 series that retail for 325 on sale for 190. I guess what I'm asking is this a deep enough discount or will I be regretting it and wishing I spent the extra 300+ per window and went with the 400's? They also have some casement and picture windows that are pretty deeply discounted that I could use, but they are 100's instead of 400's. are they even worth considering?

Comments (7)

• nepool
    10 years ago

Hi,

Been researching Anderesen windows also. I like the 200s- side by side, from 200 to 400, I honestly can't see a huge difference. Yes, the 400 sills are bigger and tilt downward more. I know the window forum says the 200s are junk, yet a builder acquaintance of mine put 200s in his custom home.

The 100s are all vinyl (not clad) so have a different look and feel (they do feel cheaper, lighter to me). I wouldn't mix the 100s with the 200s if they are close by each other.

You should go to the window store and open/close, feel touch both the 200s and 400s and decide for yourself.

• User
    10 years ago

Are the double-hung 400's the Tilt-Wash or the Woodwright models? This is a common point of confusion because both window models have tilt-wash sash.

The 400 Series Woodwright double-hung is a great window because it has a well designed frame with a sloped sill and a drip nosing and has a Fibrex composite clad sash with a hidden jamb system and is available in several different colors.

The 400 series Tilt-Wash is the same as the Woodwright except the sash is protected with PPG's Flexicron epoxy paint instead of a composite cladding and the jamb system is the old compressible PVC type (long ago abandoned by most manufacturers).

The 200 series Andersen double-hung window is the same as the 400 Tilt-Wash except it is missing a sloping sill and drip nosing so in order to avoid water intrusion into the siding below the window, it is necessary to install a "sub-sill" like the one made by Advanced Trimwright (ATW). This is a window only a builder could love. They are so heavily discounted to builders that the seller will probably break even.

To save money and get the correct order on time find a wholesale Andersen dealer instead of ordering through Home Depot. In my area the local Andersen rep is embarrassed that Andersen sells through HD.

• rwiegand
    10 years ago

Also consider the Integrity windows from Marvin at a price point intermediate between the 200 and 400 series. We found them to be better looking and performing than the 400 series Andersen. I picked up some remaindered 200 series windows for use in my barn/wood shop and have found them to be rather flimsy in comparison to the Integrity windows, though unlike the Jeld-wen windows I put on another side of the barn they haven't broken yet.

• nepool
    10 years ago

Hi Renovator,

When I went looking at the Andersen windows, I did look out for the sloped sill that you had previously mentioned. Yes, the 400 (both woodwright and Tilt Wash) have a very large, very sloped sill. However, the 200 series sill is also sloped- just not as much, and the sill is not as protruded. The 200 series sill is similar (at least looks wise) to the Marvin Integrity sill. The 400 sill is unique in its large, very sloped sill. I don't think that means that Integrity and 200 series will leak water inside because of not being as sloped. I am however, not a window expert... This is just observation based on the 'naked eye'.

• m5askqu5
    10 years ago

We have Andersen's on our house that was built in 1971. Assuming it's the same company. They're great! I can stand by the north windows when the winter winds are blowing and feel nothing! We're building soon- will be putting them in again.

• User
    10 years ago

All window companies make windows in a range of qualities so making general statements about a brand is usually not useful. The exception to Pella that doesn't make any good windows IMO.