Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wording in contract for proper flashing?

Posted by what_now (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 1, 14 at 18:29

Having previously lived in a house with missing or improperly installed flashing everywhere I do not want a repeat. What language do I need to make sure is in a custom build contract? I want it done right (like what I see in rollie's pics). Im thinking windows, doors, roof/wall intersections. What else?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wording in contract for proper flashing?

as per mfg specs.
add in specifics like grace products.

mfg spec's are great...just don't get
read or followed in the field.

Rollie does great work..you've seen Delores house
pics? classic Rollie.

best of luck.

o

Thanks for your reply - very helpful.

Yes, I have saved the link
and images. Great examples of how to do it right.

Driving around I see tons of houses with basic flashing missing.

o

Investigate the manufacturer's installation instructions for your window model or the weather/air barrier you have specified and include that in your contract unless you don't like them. Some manufacturers (like DuPont) have instructions for more than one method of flashing so you need to know what you prefer.

o

All the wording in the world in a contract will not substitute for timely and regular construction observation and contract administration.

The key phrase for the contract may be "the accepted standard of the trade", unless you have specific details and specifications to be followed.

That said, words will never substitute for visits and discussion on the job site.

Good luck with your project.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here