Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jannz77_gw

kitchen: bayed counter and sink ?

jannz77
11 years ago

I am trying to locate some more examples of a kitchen sink / counter that actually bay inward like in the ONE photo that I found.

Is there a technical term for this design approach..??...

All my googling results are the usual bay window in front of the sink that is in a straight counter.

Comments (9)

• renovator8
    11 years ago

The usual purpose of a bay widow is to allow a view out the sides. How the space that it creates is used is a different matter entirely. Some will want a shelf for plans and others will want to stand more in the bay to see more of the side views. However, this does increase the cost of the cabinets and reduces their usefulness.

This post was edited by Renovator8 on Sun, Mar 31, 13 at 10:37

• live_wire_oak
    11 years ago

"Is there a technical term for this design approach..??..."

Yeah, form over function. It's a bad design for anyone who wants to use the kitchen.

Loading the DW would be extremely awkward with such a setup. You can place it next to the sink in the angle as when the door is open, you couldn't stand at the sink at all. And placing it outside the angle will just make lots of drips and lots of walking. Not a fan at all of angles period as they waste an enormous amount of space that you still have to pay for.

• jannz77
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks nicke360 for posting the pictures -- exactly what I was wanting to see... a straight on shot so I could see how the windows were treated.

We built the house we currently live in and are now starting a new build based somewhat on our current design... changing out some elements that didn't work.... rearranging some rooms etc.

One thing in the kitchen I thought could be improved was the sink area. The center island prep sink is directly opposite the kitchen sink. Two people working in that area makes it a tight fit. Baying the kitchen sink gives more standing room. I also like the idea of STANDING in the middle of the bay with the view of the new courtyard and fountain that we'll be building.

I have a 3 sink bowl and if the angle is started 12-15in AFTER the sink edge that gives enough room to be standing at the sink and the ability to load the dishwasher with the dishwasher door down. [I drew it out as suggested by a designer on Houzz.] This side of the kitchen is 22' ft long so it won't have the "U" shaped feeling that the pictures seem to render however.

Where'd you find these pictures..??.. no kidding... I've been googling... and clicking through 'Houzz' .. found a couple more... but yours are better. Thanks again!

• Josephine Kadiddlehopper
    8 years ago

this design would be difficult for using a dishwasher; however, I want this design because I do not use a dishwasher.

• sabrinatx
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I found this one for you. The dishwasher has better placement.

• Lavender Lass
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I like Nick's first example :)

It might work better with dish drawers on either side...so the dishwasher door doesn't open into the person standing at the sink.

• mrspete
    8 years ago

I think they look great, but I do question the function (and the expense).

Note that the first three, though all bay windows, are very different. The first one is not so deep a bay, whereas the second is a very deep bay, and the last of the three is more of a circular room.

The box bay in the blue-cabinet kitchen is probably the most functional because of the dishwasher placement.

If you have an island in addition to the bay, I think you'll have to walk a fine line to avoid having too much space between the two work spaces ... while not creating a squeeze when you enter the area.