Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ceiling wood beams...size, spacing. please share pics.

Posted by pps7 (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 7, 12 at 18:21

We always wanted ceiling wood beams, but since funds were really tight during the build, we decided to wait. We are now considering adding beams to the family room. The family room is 16x17 with 10' ceilings. It is open to the dinng room and kitchen. They are separated by headers. Would it look strange to have beams only in the family room? The beams would be 8" wide but I'm trying to decide between 6" high vs 8" high. If anyone has pictures in a similar scaled room, I would love to see pictures. Last question, there will be 4 beams, should the beams at the end, against the wall be the full 8" or should they appear to be half beams and 4" wide?

Here is the space in question: the beams would be perpendicular to the fireplace wall.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

older pic, but shows the header.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ceiling wood beams...size, spacing. please share pics.

Hi there,

We have a similarly sized room with 10' ceilings.... our beams are 6" high and I am very happy with that dimension -- about 8" wide.

Here is a picture of how they look in our room --- this picture came out dark (such a dreary day), but hopefully you get the idea!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

So, my opinion about your set-up.... I think the header solves the beams just in the family room question....it will make it look cozy! I think you should use the partial beam on the ends to make it look like it is a more structural component.

Post pics when you are done!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here