Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hide a Hose Retrofit

Posted by ocscott3085 (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 29, 13 at 18:11

Hi all,
I have an eight month old house built with a Dirt Devil Pro Series 990 central vac with 8 standard outlets. I find myself putting off vacuuming because i don't like dealing with winding up the Hose (I know...laziness at its finest. So, I emailed a local installer of hide a hose to see if it were possible to add a single HAH outlet on the main floor of my house since it is predominantly wood floors and I'm tired of changing my hose three times just to do the floors on that level. He quoted me $1,000 for a single 40ft outlet. This seems pretty high to me. It includes retrofitting the HAH outlet into my traditional system, the 40ft hose, sock, and handle for use with straight suction tools. Based on your experience, does this estimate seem reasonable?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hide a Hose Retrofit

What part of the country? Is there attic space above or basement below? Really depends on what is involved in the installation and labor costs whe you live.

o

It is about $500 in parts so $1,000 doesn't seem unreasonable. He has to run 50 new feet of piping and then install the outlet.

o

Happy Easter to all who are celebrating! Thank you so much for the quick replies. I just wanted to check and be sure as I didn't have anything else to compare it to at this time. I'm in the Washington D.C. area so things tend to be a bit more expensive here anyway.

o

Well just as an update - I bit the bullet and had the 40ft Hide a Hose installation retrofitted into my home. I can still use the standard outlets with the electric nozzle but for everyday messes, I can whip out the HAH and do the whole main floor from the centrally located outlet. If possible, I HIGHLY recommend installing one when your house is under construction. Even though my house is a year old, it still only took the gentlemen about 3 hours to retrofit the one outlet in to my kitchen. Thanks for the wonderful posts about HAH.

o

Question for all the HAH users.....has anyone purchased an electric nozzle to use with their HAH? I know you also have to purchase a separate 30ft electrical cord designed to use with non-electric hoses but I feel like my family room rug could use a more thorough cleaning than the Turbocat can deliver. I suppose I can use the electric hose with my standard outlets but who wants to take out two hoses for one room? Thanks for any and all insights.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here